Alaskan cruise questions

deidre

Earning My Ears
I know I probably could search the entire board to find some answers on what I want to ask; however, sometimes it's just easier to ask away and hope people will answer :)

My husband and I are debating on taking an Alaska cruise in 2013. We'll have two small children, ages 3 and 1. We're wondering honestly if it's "worth" going on an Alaskan cruise when the kids are so young or if we should stick more with the carribean route. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Also, what is the weather like during May/September. The cruises during those time periods seem to be cheaper, but I don't really want to go then if it's still terribly cold. Anyone have any experience with those cruises during those time periods?

Another question would be is it best to fly to Seattle and drive up to Vancouver or fly into Vancouver right away.

Sorry for all the questions, I'd just like someone's opinion before I book!!

Thanks!

I know I probably could search the entire board to find some answers on what I want to ask; however, sometimes it's just easier to ask away and hope people will answer :)

My husband and I are debating on taking an Alaska cruise in 2013. We'll have two small children, ages 3 and 1. We're wondering honestly if it's "worth" going on an Alaskan cruise when the kids are so young or if we should stick more with the carribean route. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Also, what is the weather like during May/September. The cruises during those time periods seem to be cheaper, but I don't really want to go then if it's still terribly cold. Anyone have any experience with those cruises during those time periods?

Another question would be is it best to fly to Seattle and drive up to Vancouver or fly into Vancouver right away.

Thanks!

I would say you should wait. They won't remember a thing. If you want to go for just you and your DH, then go for it, but don't expect your kids to remember anything and remember that you are paying a premium for Alaska over just about any other destination.

Alsaka is definately on the list eventually though. Don't skip it. It is well worth the trip, but seriously, if you want an adventure to remember, wait a few years.

Thanks!

We've done Alaska once (not on DCL). The kids probably aren't going to be that impressed with the (glorious) scenery, but you will.

We cruised in mid-Sep. The weather was cool, grey and misty rain a couple of days. That said, the weather in Alaska is extremely variable any time of the year.

We flew directly to Vancouver for our cruise, since we were flying in the day of the cruise. Some people prefer going earlier, either to Seattle or Vancouver for a few days.

:cutie:

Thanks!

I don't have a recommendation for your, for or against, but here are some things to consider:

Is Disney special to your kids? If so, whether or not they remember Alaska, they will probably remember this cruise as being truly special.

Do you and your spouse need some "adult" time? If so, I can't think of a better, safer way to see that the children are cared for and safe than on a Disney cruise.

Is Alaska special to you? Is it important to you that the children remember this special time? Is this going to be the only time there is enough money to make this cruise?

Will you have the opportunity to do this once your children start school? Disney jacks up the prices during school times. Unless you are homeschooling, it may price you out of this opportunity later.

As far as flying into Seattle or Vancouver directly goes, it's not too terribly hard to go between the two cities--the Quick Shuttle http://www.quickcoach.com/ has direct shuttles between Sea-Tac, YVR, and the downtown Vancouver, BC hotels, and conversely, it also has direct shuttles between Vancouver, BC, The Best Western Executive Inn in Seattle, and Sea-Tac, so if you're worried you won't have a way to get from one city to the other, it's not a worry. It's entirely a matter of price, time and convenience.

The only thing I can say about the weather is that it is unpredictable. Sometimes May and September are the best times of the year; sometimes they are blustery and rainy. For what it's worth, though, my family and I are taking the September cruise to Alaska. We've made provisions for rainy and nice weather, and are booking our own excursions, so we can make changes depending upon our mood and our comfort--also so we can save $$$

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter