• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alaskan Cruise....Oceanview or verandah?

A verandah is a must in Alaska worth its weight in gold. We could sit there and see things 6 am to 11pm. The decks were busy on the peak viewing days but they would miss a lot IE not viewing at 10 pm when you could see at lot. We could sit there get room service go inside go to the bath etc but on deck you loose your space. If there was anything on the other side they told us by announcement and we had a walk every so often then came back to sit and watch.

We like the verandah rooms, but we also may also spend more time in our room than many others. Having the balcony allowed us to pop on out while the other was getting ready, or take room service in the morning for breakfast. The views are great no matter where you are. And I promise that if they say there are whales on the starboard side of the ship, sometime later there will be ones on the port side. A problem that I see with just an ocean view is that you can't extend your viewing range, that is to say you are limited by the angles you can see. With a verandah you can stick your head over the side and see more than you otherwise would see. But if you don't spend time in your room then it may not matter. Also, consider price. Disney Alaska is much more expensive than other lines, so if we were on Disney, cost would be a factor and we likely would instead do an ocean view and send our time on the deck somewhere. Maybe not the top deck, but the jogging deck in the center.

We cruised Alaska with DCL last August. We used the verandah often but also utilized the observation deck to watch and photograph the whales and seals. Having the verandah was lovely on chilly days-being able to sit on the verandah wrapped in a blanket while watching the scenery was perfect. Yes, you can do the same on the observation deck, however, I found the verandah to be warmer because we weren't as exposed to the wind as we were on deck.

Alaska is beautiful-regardless of whether or not you choose a verandah stateroom, you will be in awe of the untouched beauty. Enjoy!

The Navigator's veranda was perfect for us on our Alaska cruise last year. It's protected enough to block the cool wind but great to get pictures and see everything.

We have been on 2 Alaska cruises and had verandah both times. A verandah in Alaska is a must for us because I don't want to miss anything. The verandah allows me to run out and take a picture at a moment's notice if I see a whale or something else interesting outside, and not worry about what state of undress I might be in. I would hate to miss a great picture because I had to stop to put on more clothing, or it took too long to get outside. That is very important to me, though I realize that others may not be as wildlife obsessed as I! I also like to have the option to just sit out there for hours and watch the scenery go by. Everything you see in Alaska is breathtaking, so I like to soak up as much of it as possible.

I am loving everyone's opinion. So many view points to weigh out. Thanks to everyone for giving me their thoughts, I really appreciate it!

I am a verandah person so it was a must for me for Alaska. We used our verandah a lot during the cruise but it was especially a life-saver on Tracy Arm day when it rained most of the day. The kids and I braved deck 10 for viewing when we got to the glacier but my Mom was able to sit out on the verandah and enjoy the views of the glacier without having to be out in the weather.
We sat out there with our popcorn and hot drinks on the way into and out of Tracy Arm (so we had views from both sides).

I loved the ability to run out there and grab a quick picture if we were in the room and saw something. Plus, because it is the inside passage, there is always scenery outside. So even just sitting in the room, you have wonderful views.

If we wanted to get the full 360 degree view, we just went up two flights to deck 10 and enjoyed the view from there too (best of both worlds).

But even though it was a must for me, if others ask, I would say do whatever you need to do to get on the ship ;) Alaska is so beautiful and no matter what room you are in, you will have a wonderful time.

We're doing our first cruise ever (DCL Alaskan in 8/16) and went with a category 9C (oceanview, 2nd floor, near aft elevators). With our family of 4, we can't justify the extra $3800 it would cost to go up to a verandah. (Especially when we start adding up the cost of airfare, pre-cruise hotel room, excursions, and all the shopping we'll do.) We figure we'll be out and about most of the time anyway, but we will at least have a window to look out of when we're in the room. Now if we won the lottery, sure we'd get a verandah. :rotfl:

We have sailed the Alaskan itinerary twice, both times in Inside staterooms. We much prefer to experience the views from the upper decks and would rather save the money to do some amazing Alaskan excursions. If I were to do the Alaskan again I would definitely stick with the Inside stateroom.

So, my advice would be to go with the stateroom you can most easily afford and save they extra cash to do amazing things in port. There are so many wonderful excursions but they can be VERY pricey as the tourist season is so short.

But even though it was a must for me, if others ask, I would say do whatever you need to do to get on the ship ;) Alaska is so beautiful and no matter what room you are in, you will have a wonderful time.

Nailed it!! :flower1: Alaska has been our favorite cruise, by far, to date. Though I'm guessing Norway and Iceland are going to give it a run for it's money! If you can afford a verandah and still do the excursions and pre/post cruise stuff you want, I'd highly recommend going for it. If not, you'll have to make the decision what to compromise on. But whatever you do, just go!!

Nailed it!! :flower1: Alaska has been our favorite cruise, by far, to date. Though I'm guessing Norway and Iceland are going to give it a run for it's money! If you can afford a verandah and still do the excursions and pre/post cruise stuff you want, I'd highly recommend going for it. If not, you'll have to make the decision what to compromise on. But whatever you do, just go!!

My thoughts exactly!!!!!:banana:

Remember though, that it will most likely be cool and windy out there - i had visions of enjoying a book while sailing past the views. That was not the case. I enjoyed it for some photo taking in the Baltics by that was about it. Also, the plexuglass was quite cloudy so I had to stack multiple pillows on the chair to see over the railing. If money isn't a big issue- definitely go with the verandah- but if it precludes you from partaking in other adventures on and off the ship- then definitely skip it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter