Alaska WOW June 14th

Weedy

DIS Veteran
This was our 9th cruise and by far our favorite. The sights were magnificent!! We had great weather, it only rained one afternoon in Juneau. It was never very cold ( and this from a Florida girl) we wore jeans and a light jacket most days.
We started our trip in Seattle, here is a link to our trip report from there
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2739572

We took the Amtrak Cascades from Seattle to Vancouver, it was wonderful. The train travels along the coast. It was scenic and very peaceful the train was amazingly quiet. As we crossed the border from Washington to Vancouver we saw a “flock” of eagles. I have never seen so many eagles at one time. There were 20-30.
The public transportation is great. We took the Light Rail from the train station to The Pan Pacific. It cost $8.00 for the four of us. We got off a stop to early, if we got off at the correct stop it would have been about a two block walk to the hotel. We had to walk about 8 blocks.
We were in Vancouver for game 6 Stanley Cup hockey series to the Boston Bruins. The played the game on a large screen TV in front of the Pan Pacific. I could not believe how many people were out to watch the game (luckily we were not there for game 7). We tried to go out to get dinner but everything was packed so we fed the kids pizza and we ate in the hotel bar. There is a food court across the street from the Pan Pacific the prices are not bad there, but everywhere else food in Vancouver is very expensive.
Tuesday morning the Wonder arrived in Port at 7 am. We had the hotel come and get our bags around 10:30 and take them to the Wonder. It was very easy.
They opened boarding around 11:00. We went down around 11:30 and got through security quickly. We got #13 boarding number. BUT then our luck ran out. We were in the Castaway check in and we were assigned to a cast member by the name of Cheryl. It was painful!!! We had preregistered but it made no difference, she redid every part of or paperwork. Our reservations were linked ( we had two state rooms) she did both separately. Our credit card had been compromised prior to the trip so we needed to change the number. This totally confused her. She had to ask for help twice during our check in. The cast members on either side of her checked in 4 or 5 people during our check in. Did I say it was painful. Finally when she was done I asked was it possible for a lower boarding #. The cast member in the next booth who had been watching her struggle with our check in gave us #10. We waited another 15-20 minutes and then boarded. From then on it was a wonderful cruise.

The entertainment was great. John Charles was on the first half and he was wonderful as usual. Because so many people want to see his adult show it was held in the Walt Disney Theater instead of Wave Bands. On the second half there was The Platt Brothers. This was their first time on a Disney Cruise. They were very funny. The do a little comedy dance and acrobatics. For the family show we had two little boys sitting behind us who belly laughed the whole show. They Platt brothers have great imaginations and I learned that they only thing that can beat a Robot is a Dinosaur.

I was amazed how close we were to land the whole cruise. There was very little time that we could not see land. When we were in Tracy Arm it was unbelievable when the captain turned the ship sideways. It felt that you could almost reach out and touch the rock walls on either side of the ship.

Alaska2011342.jpg

Alaska2011318.jpg

When we were there it was seal pupping season. There were tons on seals and their pups on the icebergs floating in the water. Because of the seals and the big icebergs we did not get to go as close to the glacier, but it was still magnificent.

Alaska2011285.jpg

We sat on our balcony for hours and enjoyed the sights.

Alaska2011312.jpg

More to come

Loving your TR so far...want to read more!!! I am so happy to hear you say that you were close to land at all times. I'm hoping that will help avoid seasickness a bit!

Love the TR - keep them coming!

Question - did you see any benefit to rushing around to find deck chairs and good positions since you had a balcony? Were you able to hear the captain's comments from your balcony? We have one, and would rather just enjoy the wine and cheese (like you).

Any advice?

Ben, Jenny, and Lily

Love the TR - keep them coming!

Question - did you see any benefit to rushing around to find deck chairs and good positions since you had a balcony? Were you able to hear the captain's comments from your balcony? We have one, and would rather just enjoy the wine and cheese (like you).

Any advice?

Ben, Jenny, and Lily

You can har the captain over the TV in the room and the also have a Naturalist on board that narrates. We started on deck 10 but it quickly got very crowded, we should have just stayed in our stateroom.

Loving your trip report! We leave next Tuesday on our own adventure. Gotta LOVE the picture of the 'all hands on deck' cheese platter while looking at the glacier.

Looking forward to more (HINT) popcorn::

Thanks for the report so far - we're also taking the Amtrak Cascades, but from Portland OR - unfortunately, we don't arrive in Vancouver until 10:30 pm - when did you arrive?

We were on the same cruise. Weather was fantastic. Cast members kept commenting how nice it was and that the week before was miserable!

We had a veranda room but spent most of the day out on Deck 10 enjoying the view at Tracys Arm. There was a BBQ at the buffet so it was just easier getting food and drink. We brought up a bottle of wine and sat in the SUN :-)cool1::cool1:) all afternoon! Magical time.

So excited to read your TR, and seeing your photos brings back very fond memories! We were on the cruise right before you! Our weather wasn't what I would call miserable (we also barely saw any rain until the last sea day but the sea days were windy and chilly) but I'm happy to hear you had great weather!:thumbsup2 Alaska is simply breathtaking, isn't it? We also commented on how we couldn't believe how close we were to land the entire time. Glad you had a great cruise and can't wait to read more!:goodvibes

Susan

I can't wait to read more! I'm going on the Aug 23rd cruise and I love looking at all these pictures of what's to come. It looks like a breathtaking trip!

Good start! :thumbsup2

We're on the July 26th cruise. :banana: We are also flying into Seattle then taking the train to Vancouver. I will look at your Seattle report too.

I hope you will post more soon! :worship:

Another fellow Aug 23rd cruiser!!!!! Hello Mate!

Hello Shanny145! It's great to see another Aug 23rd cruiser!

I'm trying to jump right into our thread, but it's hard to make friends haha! :laughing: It will be great when we can meet face to face on the ship. It should be an amazing cruise! I'm especially excited after reading these trip reports.

Really anxious to hear more about the trip and see some more of your great pics!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter