Alaska Port Adventures are up!

We are booked for the ABD add-on package - which includes a helicopter ride at some point. There is nothing in the ABD literature that mentions anything about weight limits, so I guess I will be calling to find out. Two members of our party at right around that 250 mark, so it's not something I want to leave to chance.

After looking through the various DCL shore excursions, I'm happy with what is included in the ABD, but an additional fee of hundreds of dollars in helicopter surcharges would likely be a dealbreaker for us as far as the ABD is concerned ... :sad1:)
ABD would mention it on the website if there were an additional charge for over 250 pounds. My guess (although it is just a guess) is that that is included in the cost of the trip. But you're right. You really should call ABD to make sure. They can tell you exactly what the deal is.

I'll tell you, looking at these prices, the ABD is not that outrageous for what you get! And you can't beat the service!

Sayhello

what is the ABD add-on package?
You can get your excursions as a tour added on to your cruise from Adventures by Disney.

Check here:

http://abd.disney.go.com/abd/en_US/destination?name=AlaskaCruiseLandingPage

All your excursions are run by Adventures by Disney, you have the services of 2 Adventure Guides for the entire cruise, travel with the same 40 people on shore, get all your photos, all meals onshore, lots of other perks. I did an ABD add-on this year in the Med. Absolutely loved it!

Sayhello

You can get your excursions as a tour added on to your cruise from Adventures by Disney.

Check here:

http://abd.disney.go.com/abd/en_US/destination?name=AlaskaCruiseLandingPage

All your excursions are run by Adventures by Disney, you have the services of 2 Adventure Guides for the entire cruise, travel with the same 40 people on shore, get all your photos, all meals onshore, lots of other perks. I did an ABD add-on this year in the Med.

Sayhello

Thanks, how expensive is that add on??

I noticed too that the Disney Exclusive Glacier Dog Musher for a Day doesn't show that there is a surcharge for weight?!? Wonder if that is right or if they just failed to put that in?!?

I noticed too that the Disney Exclusive Glacier Dog Musher for a Day doesn't show that there is a surcharge for weight?!? Wonder if that is right or if they just failed to put that in?!?
I'd check with DCL, but, again, they're usually pretty upfront about those surcharges.

The add-on price is:

Adult $2299
Child $2069

Sayhello

We definitely feel that we saw the beauty of Alaska, without having to fly over it. In fact, I liked the idea that we walked on the glacier and were in the water with the whales in Juneau (AWESOME!!)

My family really want to "walk on the glaciers" but the only excursions I noticed where you can really get on the glaciers involved helicopters (or a 9 hr trek through an outside company). Can you tell me what you did in Juneau -- maybe there is a better alternative out there. I'm not crazy about helicopter tours (been on one and was very nauseous afterwards. I'm also not really into an "extreme" 9 hour trek, even though it was recommended by friends. ;)

The ABD add-ons are over $2000 per person -- not cheap. And you don't get to choose your excursions. Although if you like what they picked I can see that it would be great.

As for the listing online, I would definitely check with them. I don't think that all the excursions are complete yet -- several that we were looking at tonight were missing the pricing altogether (and I'm sure they won't be free :rotfl:).

Can anyone tell me how I could find out if we can do two excursions in one day?

Some of the excursions are only a few hours long, but I don't see anywhere on the site that shows the start and end times of the excursions. :confused3

Some of the excursions are only a few hours long, but I don't see anywhere on the site that shows the start and end times of the excursions. :confused3

DCL never lists start and finish times in any of their shore excursion info.
The only way you'll find out is when it's time to book them online. Book your "Must Do" first and then see what times that one is, and if you have time, the system will let you book another. If they overlap or the times are too close, the system won't let you do it.

You might be able to find out times from cruisers who are going before you....but it would be hard to find people doing the exact same things.

I wish they provided the time options also. You can book more than one excursion as long as there is a minimum of an hour in between excursion times. I am hoping to do more than one per port also! I'm hoping the people that take the first Alaska cruise come back with all sorts of information!!

Some things you can figure on your own with a little research; for example the White Pass RR leaves at 8:15am and 12:45pm. So those are the only two options....

DCL never lists start and finish times in any of their shore excursion info.
The only way you'll find out is when it's time to book them online. Book your "Must Do" first and then see what times that one is, and if you have time, the system will let you book another. If they overlap or the times are too close, the system won't let you do it.

You might be able to find out times from cruisers who are going before you....but it would be hard to find people doing the exact same things.

So when you go to officially book- will it give you an option of times to choose from? Or will you just book it and they assign you a time? I would really hope they would give you time options! (And I really wish they provided the times in advance)

Do you all think you can "see" Alaska without doing the really pricey helicopter/floatplane excursions? I don't mind spending around $200 a person if we decide to book this cruise, but any more than that would be out of the budget.

i was thinking of the whitepass in Skagaway, the what and glacier tour in Juneau and the misty fjords by boat or bear country wildlife in Ketchican.
Some people have stated that if you do not do the expensive helicopter tours etc Alaska would not be worth it, so we are deciding wether to do the cruise if we can not afford to spend thousands on excursions. What do you all think?

H Mary,
How are you? Which Alaska sailing are you planning on going on. We are sailing on August 23rd with Lori, Mindy and Kim. A little Med reunion.:cool1:
Happy New Year to you and Dan:)
Susan

So when you go to officially book- will it give you an option of times to choose from? Or will you just book it and they assign you a time? I would really hope they would give you time options! (And I really wish they provided the times in advance)

Like Rob said above, yes, they'll give you the different time options.

My family really want to "walk on the glaciers" but the only excursions I noticed where you can really get on the glaciers involved helicopters (or a 9 hr trek through an outside company). Can you tell me what you did in Juneau -- maybe there is a better alternative out there. I'm not crazy about helicopter tours (been on one and was very nauseous afterwards. I'm also not really into an "extreme" 9 hour trek, even though it was recommended by friends. ;)

Sorry I missed this earlier. In Juneau, we did the combo of whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier.
A bus picked us up and took us to the whale watching boat....the bus driver was great, telling stories about Juneau as we went (and it wasn't crowded, either).
We took the boat out to whale watch, and there were 10 of us in the boat. The boat operators kept in touch with eachother so that they would know where the sightings were. It was unbelievable to see the whales spray and jump...and the scenery on the water was beautiful.

We got back on the bus and went to Mendenhall Glacier, where we walked down the path to the glacier. My son chose to walk around to be next to the glacier itself, at the falls, hubby stayed and kept an eye on him, while I went up to the museum and gift shop.
We still had some time after the tour to do some shopping in town, but not a whole lot, maybe an hour and a half?

Just a quick tip, for those of you looking into the White Pass Railway, we just were there in September, and someone on another board suggested to us that we rent a car instead. There is an Avis car rental in Skagway, just a short distance from the ship. The highway basically goes the same route as the train.We rented a car for about $100 for the day, then took the Klondike highway up into the Yukon.. It was BEAUTIFUL, and we could stop and take pictures when we wanted to. You do not have that luxury when you are on the train. My aunt took the train, and I think she wishes she would have gone with us. We drove all the way to Carcross, Yukon, where we saw Emerald Lake, then turned around and came back. Don't forget your passports! You will need them to cross over into Canada :)

We got back on the bus and went to Mendenhall Glacier, where we walked down the path to the glacier. My son chose to walk around to be on the glacier itself, hubby stayed and kept an eye on him, while I went up to the museum and gift shop.

Please explain how your son walked on the glacier itself. Mendenhall Glacier is across the lake from the visitor center, and is inacessible to hikers unless you approach it from the west glacier trail: http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/map.html You can walk to Nugget Falls, but that's not on the glacier.

Please explain how your son walked on the glacier itself. Mendenhall Glacier is across the lake from the visitor center, and is inacessible to hikers unless you approach it from the west glacier trail: http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/map.html You can walk to Nugget Falls, but that's not on the glacier.

I had wondered the same thing. Not that I'm casting doubt, but if there were literally a way of walking on the glacier from that vicinity- I would be very interested in knowing. Now- hearing that your ds did it rather than you- I'm thinking he just maybe took a path that allowed him to get much closer and have a better view but maybe he didn't actually walk on the glacier?

Just a quick tip, for those of you looking into the White Pass Railway, we just were there in September, and someone on another board suggested to us that we rent a car instead. There is an Avis car rental in Skagway, just a short distance from the ship. The highway basically goes the same route as the train.We rented a car for about $100 for the day, then took the Klondike highway up into the Yukon.. It was BEAUTIFUL, and we could stop and take pictures when we wanted to. You do not have that luxury when you are on the train. My aunt took the train, and I think she wishes she would have gone with us. We drove all the way to Carcross, Yukon, where we saw Emerald Lake, then turned around and came back. Don't forget your passports! You will need them to cross over into Canada :)

Well as keen as I was on taking the round trip train ride- it sounds like a lot of folks with experience suggest otherwise... Now, I don't know that we will do the car rental (as my kids would particurarly enjoy the train)- but I am revisiting the idea of the train up and the motorcoach with planned stops on the way back...... I have a few months before I can book, so I'll just keep researching and thinking.....(and over thinking;))

Well as keen as I was on taking the round trip train ride- it sounds like a lot of folks with experience suggest otherwise... Now, I don't know that we will do the car rental (as my kids would particurarly enjoy the train)- but I am revisiting the idea of the train up and the motorcoach with planned stops on the way back...... I have a few months before I can book, so I'll just keep researching and thinking.....(and over thinking;))

I enjoyed the train to Fraser, BC with van to Carcross, YT and back to Skagway. This is the excursion we did with Chilkoot Charters: http://www.chilkootcharters.com/yukonrail.htm What I originally booked twice was the longer train all the way to Carcross with bus return. Both times (2007 and 2009) the tracks washed out just before we arrived, and we had to do the shorter train excursion!

This is why we took the bus up one way and the train back down.

But note: If you don't take the train at least one way, you ARE missing some really great scenery and info that they give on the train. The train tracks and the highway are on opposite sides of a divide.

Okay, yes, he walked the trail below the Visitor Center, to the falls.....my mistake. Since it's all ice over there, I was thinking that it was still part of the glacier.
He was to the side of the mouth of the glacier, on the ice, near the falls.

I corrected my original post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter