Alaska or Europe?

wonderlandwego

Mouseketeer
Planning on our first Disney Cruise next summer!
Looking for recommendations on one of the two itineraries.
Trying to decide between Alaska in June or Europe out of Barcelona in August. Our kids are age 6 and 7.

A 6 and 7 year old aren't going to remember the trip in 10 years. I think Alaska would be more age appropriate. I would save the educational stuff for when they are older. My kids are 12 and 13. We're going on a med cruise in October. They have been writing reports on each port. The youngest is a little confused though. I told him to write a report on the Vatican yesterday while I was at work. He just handed me this really great report on Vietnam...WHAT?

Europe you learn so much more. Great educational cruise, and the sun, only consider Akaska if they are " into" nature.
A 6 and 7 year old aren't going to remember the trip in 10 years. I think Alaska would be more age appropriate. I would save the educational stuff for when they are older. My kids are 12 and 13. We're going on a med cruise in October. They have been writing reports on each port. The youngest is a little confused though. I told him to write a report on the Vatican yesterday while I was at work. He just handed me this really great report on Vietnam...WHAT?
These two comments pretty much sum up the conflict in my head. They do like learning about new places, and I think they would love Pompeii, I just wonder if they would get more out of it in about 2 years.

Ofinn, the Vietnam report is great!lol

We've done both. I think your kids would enjoy Europe more in a couple of years as there is so much to learn and see and it would be great if they were at an age they could not only enjoy learning it, but will remember it. Alaska is not as intense both port-wise and excursion wise -- it is all visually stunning and will certainly be something they will remember because of the activities and the visual: nature and wildlife at its best.

Where do you live?

We're in Europe so we started with the European itineraries (we did Norway last year, and we're doing the Med in 22 days :teeth:), but one of the main reasons for choosing Europe over the US were the flights (long flight with child + cost). Of course after the first cruise we were all totally addicted, and the extra hassle (and cost, let's face it it's a big factor) or flying to the US for a cruise is easier to swallow... So we're planning Alaska in 2018 :sail:

Our daughter was 4 last year for the fjords cruise, she enjoyed some of the excursions (and she remembers quite a lot, we were looking at a video a few weeks ago and she really remembered what she'd seen), but of course what she really loved was the ship (she's been asking to go back to "Mickey's boat" ever since). This summer she'll be 5, I've tried to talk to her about the places we'll be seeing so I'm hoping some of it will stick... So far the only things she seems to remember and talks about are the Vesuvius (hope she's not too dissappointed that we're not going up to the crater) and Pisa (she's really excited about seeing the leaning tower...)

Planning on our first Disney Cruise next summer!
Looking for recommendations on one of the two itineraries.
Trying to decide between Alaska in June or Europe out of Barcelona in August. Our kids are age 6 and 7.

The cruises are similar in that they offer a mix of both port days and see days. Both can be very educational, just in different ways. I agree with Ofinn in thinking that six and seven is a little bit young for Europe. Not that they wouldn't have a good time, but a trip to Alaska might be more memorable for them at this age. The other thing to take into account is transportation. I'm not sure where you live, but the flights to Vancouver are going to be shorter and likely to be much less expensive than flights to Barcelona. Also, I would absolutely take the weather into account. I find Italy uncomfortably warm in August.

Where do you live?

We're in Europe so we started with the European itineraries (we did Norway last year, and we're doing the Med in 22 days :teeth:), but one of the main reasons for choosing Europe over the US were the flights (long flight with child + cost). Of course after the first cruise we were all totally addicted, and the extra hassle (and cost, let's face it it's a big factor) or flying to the US for a cruise is easier to swallow... So we're planning Alaska in 2018 :sail:

Our daughter was 4 last year for the fjords cruise, she enjoyed some of the excursions (and she remembers quite a lot, we were looking at a video a few weeks ago and she really remembered what she'd seen), but of course what she really loved was the ship (she's been asking to go back to "Mickey's boat" ever since). This summer she'll be 5, I've tried to talk to her about the places we'll be seeing so I'm hoping some of it will stick... So far the only things she seems to remember and talks about are the Vesuvius (hope she's not too dissappointed that we're not going up to the crater) and Pisa (she's really excited about seeing the leaning tower...)
We live in the US. Pisa is one of the main reasons that I'm hesitant on Europe. The minimum age is 8 for the Tower, and I'm not sure how strictly that is enforced. We wouldn't be doing excursions through DCL in most of the European ports.

It's wonderful that your daughter is experiencing all of these places! Have a fantastic trip!

These two comments pretty much sum up the conflict in my head. They do like learning about new places, and I think they would love Pompeii, I just wonder if they would get more out of it in about 2 years.

Ofinn, the Vietnam report is great!lol
My children first sent when they were 7/5 and again a few times since then, it inspired them to learn at school, one is now studying at Cambridge, in her third year...

Last edited:
Everything your child does is going to shape what they become as an adult. If this is a one time trip though I would wait on the Med. At 6 and 7 they will have fun, but they are not going to really understand the history behind it all. Heck even as an adult it's hard to take in. You have to keep in mind that the ports are a long way from what you want to see, so there will be long rides on busses, trains and a lot of walking. Very hot weather added to the mix. We just got back from the Iceland/Norway cruise. I thought it was a great first European cruise. It was a nice mixture of nature and history. The kids loved it. The ports were really easy to tour. It was port extensive, but also very relaxing. Have you considered Norway or the Baltic cruises?

only consider Akaska if they are " into" nature
Thoughts....
  • don't forget the bonus embarkation and debarkation is another country to explore. Plan extra days there! Why is the money a different color? Why do they use Loonies and Toonies? Kinder Surprise!
  • the Alaskan glaciers are not getting bigger. you might want to go there sooner.
  • low terrorism threat.
  • see the history of gold rush.
  • see how big the USA is. How far North does it go?
  • no foreign currency..... Alaska welcomes the US dollar.

Last edited:
Everything your child does is going to shape what they become as an adult. If this is a one time trip though I would wait on the Med. At 6 and 7 they will have fun, but they are not going to really understand the history behind it all. Heck even as an adult it's hard to take in. You have to keep in mind that the ports are a long way from what you want to see, so there will be long rides on busses, trains and a lot of walking. Very hot weather added to the mix. We just got back from the Iceland/Norway cruise. I thought it was a great first European cruise. It was a nice mixture of nature and history. The kids loved it. The ports were really easy to tour. It was port extensive, but also very relaxing. Have you considered Norway or the Baltic cruises?
Pompeii, Pisa, and Rome are what really had me interested in this itinerary. I do plan on doing Norway in the next couple of years. We have never been to Washington state, so I thought we could go there first, do close to a week seeing one or two national parks. I realize these are completely different itineraries and experiences, I'm just going by what they enjoy and seem to be interested in.

A 6 and 7 year old aren't going to remember the trip in 10 years. I think Alaska would be more age appropriate. I would save the educational stuff for when they are older.

Education begins from an early age. I wouldn't necessarily trek them round lots of museums but Europe really has so much accessible history. There are lots of other things to do in Europe. My youngest was 7 when we did a med cruise and he loved Florence and Pisa.

Pisa is one of the main reasons that I'm hesitant on Europe. The minimum age is 8 for the Tower, and I'm not sure how strictly that is enforced. We wouldn't be doing excursions through DCL in most of the European ports.

DS was 7 when we went to Pisa. They didn't ask to see any ID. You also didn't all have to be present when you purchased the tickets as you buy at one building and then get an entry time to go up the tower. I would recommend taking a private excursion. We arrived early in the morning and it was lovely and peaceful - once all the tour groups arrived it became a zoo.

Education begins from an early age. I wouldn't necessarily trek them round lots of museums but Europe really has so much accessible history. There are lots of other things to do in Europe. My youngest was 7 when we did a med cruise and he loved Florence and Pisa.

DS was 7 when we went to Pisa. They didn't ask to see any ID. You also didn't all have to be present when you purchased the tickets as you buy at one building and then get an entry time to go up the tower. I would recommend taking a private excursion. We arrived early in the morning and it was lovely and peaceful - once all the tour groups arrived it became a zoo.
I agree. I wouldn't trek my 12 and 13 year old through a bunch of museums...boorrring. You definitely have to tailor it for the kids.

Pisa is a hard, winding, slippery climb. Please respect the age requirement. My kids went at 9 and did not climb the tower (climbed it at 13 yrs old, when we went back), but still enojed seeing it and seeing the rest of Pisa (we walked from train station-nice walk) and the Cathedral. Another good DIY with kids is to go to Lucca, then stop at Pisa on the way back. You can rent bikes in Lucca and bike the wall. There is a tower to climb in Lucca. It makes a really good DIY day. Be sure to get your train tickets online in advance. They are good for 4 hours. It saves A LOT of time, and likely enables you to make an earlier train.
My kids hardly remember Europe from 9 yrs old. The Med is very hot in Aug. and kids will be tired by 2pm and want to go back to the ship. Kids get tired of train/bus rides to places an consecutive days.
As long as you plan 1/2 days, lots of downtime and pool time, the Med will be fine. I might also suggest the Baltics, as long as you would be willing to leave kids in the kids' club for St. P, as it is too long a day for kids. We took our 9 yr olds and it was a long day for them. There are tons of fun, kid-friendly Baltic things to DIY. Norway is also a compromise between Alaska and Europe. We just did Norway and it would be kid-friendly, and it is a slow pace than the Med. and cooler. Copenhagen has a lot of great things to see. We saw no sea/wildlife on Norway cruise, if that matters. It rained 2/4 port stops.
Any choice will be fine, as you have the great DCL theming, dining, entertainment, and kids clubs. Just plan only 1/2 day trips, except maybe Rome, which could be a long day. Pisa, Lucca and Pompeii are easy and cheap DIY. Rome is a bit farther, but still doable DIY.

Last edited:
We did both itineraries my daughter was 14th on the Mediterranean and 15th on the Alaska cruise, love both, Alaska was so great because of the view we always had, whales, bears, salmons, eagles, glaciers, etc. Mediterranean Cruise was 6 to 8 hours tours every day, lots of museums, churches, and history. Whichever you choose your kids will remember forever.

Pisa is a hard, winding, slippery climb. Please respect the age requirement. My kids went at 9 and did not climb the tower (climbed it at 13 yrs old, when we went back), but still enojed seeing it and seeing the rest of Pisa (we walked from train station-nice walk) and the Cathedral. Another good DIY with kids is to go to Lucca, then stop at Pisa on the way back. You can rent bikes in Lucca and bike the wall. There is a tower to climb in Lucca. It makes a really good DIY day. Be sure to get your train tickets online in advance. They are good for 4 hours. It saves A LOT of time, and likely enables you to make an earlier train.
My kids hardly remember Europe from 9 yrs old. The Med is very hot in Aug. and kids will be tired by 2pm and want to go back to the ship. Kids get tired of train/bus rides to places an consecutive days.
As long as you plan 1/2 days, lots of downtime and pool time, the Med will be fine. I might also suggest the Baltics, as long as you would be willing to leave kids in the kids' club for St. P, as it is too long a day for kids. We took our 9 yr olds and it was a long day for them. There are tons of fun, kid-friendly Baltic things to DIY. Norway is also a compromise between Alaska and Europe. We just did Norway and it would be kid-friendly, and it is a slow pace than the Med. and cooler. Copenhagen has a lot of great things to see. We saw no sea/wildlife on Norway cruise, if that matters. It rained 2/4 port stops.
Any choice will be fine, as you have the great DCL theming, dining, entertainment, and kids clubs. Just plan only 1/2 day trips, except maybe Rome, which could be a long day. Pisa, Lucca and Pompeii are easy and cheap DIY. Rome is a bit farther, but still doable DIY.
If we can not climb the tower then I will put this trip off until they can. That is one of the main highlights and attractions that they would enjoy. The other would be a day doing Pompeii and a Mt Vesuvius hike. Rome would be a long day as well. Basically all of the Italy stops would be 8 hours exploring. The French ports would be half day excursions and then back on the ship.

How long ago was that? It would be devastating to arrive and be turned away!! I also don't know how to tell them to lie about their age if asked.

Hey guys, lets remember to play nice. There is no need to be sarcastic or argumentative here. Thanks for your cooperation. :thumbsup2

If we can not climb the tower then I will put this trip off until they can. That is one of the main highlights and attractions that they would enjoy.

How long ago was that? It would be devastating to arrive and be turned away!!

It was 2012. I didn't know about the age restriction before arriving at Pisa. I think they can ask for ID - DS was 7 years 7 months and tall for his age. Personally if it is a main thing you would like to see I would wait and not risk it. It is also 18 euros a person so not inexpensive. August can be very busy - in Rome some tourist attractions such as the Trevi fountain were unbearably busy.

It was 2012. I didn't know about the age restriction before arriving at Pisa. I think they can ask for ID - DS was 7 years 7 months and tall for his age. Personally if it is a main thing you would like to see I would wait and not risk it. It is also 18 euros a person so not inexpensive. August can be very busy - in Rome some tourist attractions such as the Trevi fountain were unbearably busy.
I think I am going to wait. Thanks for your input! Alaska it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter