Alaska June Vs August

pepe3penelope

Princess Ariel at Heart
I was looking at the prices for June 22nd vs august 24th for category 9C. For a family of four, why is June $1300 more? Are June sailings just more popular? Is it because the weather is better? TIA! :)

My guess would be the weather. We went the last week of August and it was pretty chilly! Light jackets, sweatshirts, and jeans. It's a beautiful cruise!

By and large, more schools would also be out for the June 22 cruise than the August 24th cruise. I'm shocked at the number of "first day of school" pictures I'm seeing on FB and have been since like mid-July. NYC doesn't go back until after Labor Day, but a LOT of places will already be back in school by early to mid-August.

On DCL the price difference on cruises between school in session vs not in session is just huge. You will see the difference on the Caribbean and Bahamas cruises too. The carribean cruise will also get cheaper the end of August. I don't think it has that much to do with weather.

In August, the salmon will be running, jumping upstream to spawn, so you'll have a better chance of seeing bears fishing for them.

Also, the Alaskan Fireweed, their beautiful bright pink flowers, will be in bloom, signaling the end of the summer.

As for the weather, it can be just as nippy in June as it is in August. I just saw a Facebook picture of a friend in Alaska, hiking with her kids yesterday. They were wearing hoodies. Actually, I'm kinda jealous or their cooler summer temps.

I was looking at the prices for June 22nd vs august 24th for category 9C. For a family of four, why is June $1300 more? Are June sailings just more popular? Is it because the weather is better? TIA! :)

I would have thought August 24 would have been more expensive with the holiday. Anyways....

I think it's because more kids being back to school by the end of August. We are going June 8, 2015 and it was less than later cruises because not as many kids are out yet. If you can get the beginning or ending of the summer it helps.

Kristimc we'll be on the same cruise. Have y'all done Alaska before? Any recommendations?

Thanks KristiMc! I'm actually already on both. We sailed the Fantasy this year in March, rebooked same cruise for next year, and when Alaska dates came out we booked it. We thought it would be a one and done type of cruise. Kudos to Disney I suppose.

I debated the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago. Weather is unpredictable on any cruise, any region, and anytime of year; therefore I decided to go with the cheaper rate in August.

Thanks for all of your input. If and when we do it, it maybe 2nd to last week of August 2016. I was price shopping to get an idea. We have two 5 day cruises next year to look forward to. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter