Alaska Formal & Semi-Formal Night

jxd

Mouseketeer
I am not getting too excited about packing for an Alaskan cruise AND formal night. Our family of 4 is able to pack for 10 days and each have a carry on and a backpack. This is easier in warmer climates but Alaska is a little different.

We have been on HAL to Alaska and most dressed up on formal night. I know we will be fine if we are not in our formal wear on DLC but interested in hearing what most did on the prior DCL Alaska cruises. We always dress appropriate for dinner and are hoping to step it up a notch and "get by" with that.

Basically, is DCL Alaska more formal or less formal than the Caribbean?

I can't personally compare the two - but here's what we wore on our formal & semi-formal nights & were about middle-of-the-pack in terms of dressiness:

Formal night: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28558260@N04/6141768861/ - I was wearing a long sleeved, mid calf black velvet dress & my husband had black dress pants, long sleeve button down white shirt and tie.

Semi-formal night: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28558260@N04/6187144230/in/set-72157627760851570 - I wore black slacks, a red sparkly top and black jacket; husband wore same outfit as formal night (but a different tie!)

In my experience, Alaska and the Caribbean were very similiar with regards to formality. Some will dress to the nines while some don't dress up at all.

None of our tablemates on either cruise dressed in anything formal. We took nice clothes (more like office attire) and fit in. We didn't do tuxes and long gowns for sure. No room in the luggage for outfits to wear only once or twice!

The most I dressed up was dockers and a nice shirt, and after seeing what others were wearing, I wore nice jeans and a nice shirt the rest of the week to dinner. Our table mates got by with t-shirts on some evenings.

Some do dress up, some don't. We had short port times (did the Wonder 2012 out of Seattle) and I got the feeling some people were boarding the boat and heading straight to dinner due to the tighter port times.

I thought Alaska was more casual only because a couple of times we did not have time to change between port and dinner. Went in our day clothes and it seemed many others did too. For formal nights I had a black skirt with a couple of nice blouses.

For Formal night...I wore a nice knee length dress with sparkly jewelry, hubby wore dress pants and a shirt and tie, kids dressed up slightly more because they enjoy that. I think we were about the "average". Some went all out and a few looked as though they didn't know they were supposed to dress up (even though it was on the navigator!).

We did the cruise last year out of Seattle also. For formal night I wore black suit pants with a polo shirt, and black dr Martin shoes.
Semi formal I wore blue jeans with polo shirt and the same dr martins. I made sure my jeans were new, and that was the first time I wore them. Just dress on how you feel. No cares if you wear jeans those nights. There is no fashion police to tell you what to wear

We saw a few people really dressed up but most were dressed nice but not tuxes and ballgowns.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter