• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alaska Excursions--post your reviews here!

Thanks so much for all your ideas.. I will be going in 2015 and wanted to know more about port adventures....
Please please keep posting !!!
thanks

This was an amazing trip! With my husband and 7 year old.

Skagway - booked the helicopter/glacier/dog sled excursion on our own. I wanted to do it early in the trip since this is the most often cancelled excursion (due to weather) but the one that would be most meaningful to us all. The place we had to go was literally next to the ship. Walked over -- took 2 minutes. Got all the gear and within minutes was in a helicopter. Aside from my wedding, this was the best experience of my life! We had an amazing time. Not the least of which was that except for the people training the dogs, it's just you and the 3 other people who were on your helicopter. You are virtually alone on a glacier in the middle of nowhere. Awesome! The dogs were amazing. Each group goes on a sled -- just your family. My son led the team the entire time. In addition to it being a singularly amazing experience, we have fab pictures of us with the puppies!

Juneau - we didn't plan anything (in case we needed to reschedule the helicopter/dog sled) and took the tram. Great views. But when I have spent days with thousands of people, when we dock I want to get off and be far from crowds.

Ketchikan - thru Disney, we did a canoeing trip. My only complaint about DCL excursions are that there are more people than I'd like, but this was a fabulous excursion. We were in the middle of nowhere, in a state or national park, canoeing through the pristine water. Really, really beautiful. Another favorite experience.

Have fun!

Hi,
Can i ask you if you remember the company name for the helicopter and dog sled?
Do I have to make a reservation or is walking?
Also how long time do you have to go around Skagway?
Do you know if DCL offers this type of adventures?
Thanks so much for your help ;)

yes, Disney definitely did offer it and I think it was the same price. Name of company was Temsco. I was concerned that it would fill up before we got a chance to book so I looked to do it independently. Now, I book independently because I realize the experience is different because there are so many more people when you do an excursion thru Disney.

I've read every page, and and am now subscribing- we're planning to catch the last AK cruise this year!

We went DIY in each port, and not DCL trips.

Skagway

Flight to Glacier bay over east and west arm from the local airport next to the port, you can walk it.

Then we went with Chilkoot Charters, bus up to Fraser and White pass train back, whilst a charter we had the bus to ourselves.

Juneau, we went up Mount Roberts the cruise shuttle takes you to it,

then Mid morning Coastal copters a walk on a glacier

Then up Mount Roberts again, the weather changes different views and one ticket covers all day.

Ketichan Private charter to Misty Fjords with Seawind aviation, cheaper than DCL, and also booked the Duck tour direct.

More details and August scanned Navigators in the link below.

DISNEY FANTASY: What did you wear for the coastal helicopters glacier tour? We booked with them and was looking for advice on what to wear? Gloves, hat, scarf and heavy jacket needed? Or is it not that cold? thanks!

I have booked all our excursions though the excursion company themselves. Look into that and save some money!

Even though I am going in a year ( 6/15/15) I am already looking at excursions I want so I can save. Since we are a family of 5 and the sticker shock is there but it is a trip of a lifetime so I just want to be prepared. Here is what we are considering. ANY advice or opinions of people who did these excursions would be very appreciated =)

Mendenhall Glacier and whale quest in Juneau

Liarsville goldrush w/disney character in Skagway

lumberjack show
city highlights and creek street
(2 excursions if time allows in Ketichikan)

I have 3 children at the time of cruise will be 7,8,13. Also, all of these excursions are through Disney.

Also I want to somehow fit in a dog sledding experience ( NOTHING with flying, I am terrified of heights) so any recomendations?
Thank you!!

Even though I am going in a year ( 6/15/15) I am already looking at excursions I want so I can save. Since we are a family of 5 and the sticker shock is there but it is a trip of a lifetime so I just want to be prepared. Here is what we are considering. ANY advice or opinions of people who did these excursions would be very appreciated =)

lumberjack show

I have 3 children at the time of cruise will be 7,8,13. Also, all of these excursions are through Disney.

Also I want to somehow fit in a dog sledding experience ( NOTHING with flying, I am terrified of heights) so any recomendations?
Thank you!!

Just an FYI--If you plan on spending any time in Vancouver they have a Lumberjack show at Grouse Mtn. that is included in the admission price. We are skipping the lumberjack show in Ketchikan and doing the Grouse Mtn. one this year.

We did this and thought it was great - saw tons of humpback and sea lions too. Not enough time at the Glacier - but still really nice.
We did this too. Our kids were 10 and 12, and it was a little cheesy, but fun. Lunch was good and the characters are chip, dale and donald - no real waiting for some good interaction.
lumberjack show
Did this in Ketchikan - pretty fun but I wouldn't do it again. Once was enough. We also just walked around town and creek street a bit by ourselves.

Thank you!!

We also did a musher's summer camp dog sled = that was cool! My hubby isn't into flying or helicopters either. We took this cool vehicle (a Unimog I think it's called) up the mountain to the summer camp and then we got a ride in a "sled" - but not on snow/glacier with the sled dogs pulling us. We met and listened to a real musher (he's raced the iditarod!) and then we got to hold tiny puppies - like a week old! That was the highlight for my animal-loving daughter!

We also did a musher's summer camp dog sled = that was cool! My hubby isn't into flying or helicopters either. We took this cool vehicle (a Unimog I think it's called) up the mountain to the summer camp and then we got a ride in a "sled" - but not on snow/glacier with the sled dogs pulling us. We met and listened to a real musher (he's raced the iditarod!) and then we got to hold tiny puppies - like a week old! That was the highlight for my animal-loving daughter!

We want to do this out of Skagway next year, where did you do it through and would you share the price?
Thanks!

We want to do this out of Skagway next year, where did you do it through and would you share the price?
Thanks!

We booked through DCL and it was $132 per adult. Our kids are "adults", so I don't know if there was a child price.

The actual ride seemed a little short, but it was a lot of fun.

Thanks for the info. Where did you do the dogsledding? It seems like you did all the excursions I want to do as well so thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the info. Where did you do the dogsledding? It seems like you did all the excursions I want to do as well so thanks for the advice!

That was in Skagway. We did the liarsville panning for gold thing in the morning (it included lunch) and then did the musher camp in the afternoon.

People on our 6/2014 cruise were reporting that Liarsville sold out before they could book it, so I'd have a second choice ready to go.

Since you are a family of 5, I'd consider booking the whale watching tour with Harv and Marv. You'd have your own private boat rather than being with a bunch of other people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter