• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alaska Excursions--post your reviews here!

Sounds good! What did you wear on the boat? Was it cold? Did you get wet?

We did this the first week of July in 2013, and it was in the low 50's. But, once we got out into the open water, I was FREEZING. They do have heavy coats and heaters, so that helps, but if you are cold-natured, you may want to take some heavy layers.

We were on the July 28th Alaska trip. In Skagway we started by going on the White Pass Railway. It was beautiful! Don't forget your passport, you will cross the border. We did the one where you took a bus back down. Our driver was great. He stopped in a couple of places to show us the sights. We then stopped at Liarsville. I thought this was super-hokey, but my daughter loved panning for gold. After that we went on the Grizzly Falls Ziplining excursion. We booked this on our own because Disney will not let you book an 8 year old, but the company did. My daughter was soooo excited and loved every minute. Our guide, Jennie, was super. Everyone that I spoke to in Skagway who had done both said this was by far the best one. In Juneau we splurged and did the dog sledding excursion through Coastal Helicopters. We did the extended tour that landed on another glacier and let you explore around. I was wary because it was costly but SO WORTH EVERY PENNY! Our pilot was great and our guide was wonderful. We got to mush the dogs. It was truly a once in a lifetime experience. Afterwards we took the bus to Mendenhall Glacier. After having been almost by ourselves on a glacier seeing one from a distance wasn't that interesting. We did see a bear, but in hindsight I wouldn't do it again. It was $10/person each way - $60 for the 3 of us. I wasn't in love with any of the excursions in Skagway and we ended up just taking the Duck tour. It too was pretty cheesy, but gave us a tour of the town and harbor. Ketchican was a great town to just walk around. We went to see some totem poles, saw some old brothels, saw the salmon ladder, and picked up some souvenirs.

I wrote all this out once previously and lost it before posting, so I hope this time is better:

Vancouver: We did two things here. First, we went to Grouse Mountain. We got there mid-afternoon, and stayed until around 8. It was fun, and a nice way to spend the day. Saw the grizzly bears, the lumberjack show, and the bird show. All of these were good. We took the chair lift to the peak, which was also fun (though my wife was stressed out worried about our youngest daughter. Overall, we would give it a positive review. The other thing we did was Fly Over Canada. This was fun – it’s basically just Soarin’, but with Canadian scenery instead of California (there’s another short show before it, also). In fact, the pre-ride video was obviously made to copy the one at Disney – the whole thing was the same, but with Canadian stuff rather than Disney stuff. It was kind of expensive for what you get, but was fun. If you have ridden Soarin’, you will know exactly what you’re getting.

Skagway: We did the Chilkoot Charters’ Yukon Rail/Bus/Dogcart ride. We were lucky enough to be the only ones on this itinerary, and had the van/driver to ourselves! This day was probably the highlight of all our excursions. The bus tour part was great – we stopped many times, and got lots of great stories, as well as learned a lot about Alaska – both the gold rush times, and the current day. We eventually stopped at Caribou Crossing, which is a little “town” set up where you get lunch (BBQ chicken), can pet/feed goats and ponies, can visit the sled dog puppies, can tour a (really very good) taxidermy display, and get to go on the sled dog pull. The pull is over a dirt track on a wheeled sled, but was still lots of fun. Interestingly, I learned that the dogs are no longer Huskies, but have been crossbred with greyhounds! There’s a stop in Carcross, both at the desert (surprising!), and the small town. We then drove back to the train and took it the rest of the way – that ride was also incredible, and gives you a different view of things than you get on the bus tour part. We were the last ones on our train car, though, so all the seats on the right hand side were taken. We still had a good trip. Overall, I’d recommend this tour with no hesitation at all.

Juneau: We did the Alaska Galore tour: Whole Lotta Whale. Again, we were the only ones on our tour, and had a boat to ourselves. We did indeed see a whole lot of whales. It was pretty standard stuff – swimming, seeing their tails and such. We weren’t lucky enough to see some of the more rare behaviors (bubble netting, or breaching) and didn’t see any Orcas, but that’s not the captain’s fault. We saw sea lions, both in the water and at the buoy where they can always be found. I noticed that lots of other boats were also in the area, and the captains tend to cooperate in finding the whales. In fact, our boat seemed to be from Harv and Marv’s, so I get the impression that there is a lot more overlap between the different whale watching tours than it might seem. We enjoyed our trip, and I’d do it again, but wouldn’t worry about necessarily going with Alaska Galore (nothing against them, just that there didn’t seem to be a big differentiation. After the boat ride, we took the option (for $5 per person), to be dropped off at the Mendenhall glacier. We ended up spending a couple of hours there, which is more than a lot of tours give you. We went to the visitor center and saw the movie and displays, did the hike to the waterfall (I would recommend this!), and saw the salmon running in the bear viewing area (no bears, though). At the end, we found a taxi in the parking area that we took back to port ($37). Note: our ship was not at the “main” dock, and if we had been dropped off in the city (e.g. the shuttle bus), it would have been a real hike to get back to the ship. I was very glad to have the cab drop us off right at the Wonder. We briefly saw a bear from the cab as we were leaving. Note: there is no food here, and they don’t let you eat except in one small area of the visitor center near the bathrooms, so watch your timing. We had some energy bars that we brought and ate there, but if you arrive (like us) near lunchtime, you are going to be waiting a while to eat… Overall, this was a good combo trip and we were very happy with the day.

Ketchikan: We were there on what a local said was expected to be the rainiest day of the summer! There was a ton of rain, and our reservation with Island Wings to see Misty Fjords was cancelled. This was disappointing, since this was the thing that my family was most looking forward to on the whole trip, but I certainly understood why it was cancelled. We ended up bundling up (Disney provided some good ponchos for everyone for free) and walking out to the visitor’s center to see what there might be to do. We ended up getting sold a Northern Tours tour that I think they called their “Saxman Deluxe Combo Tour.” Yet again, we were the only ones on the tour. It was supposed to be 2 hours, but ran close to 3, which we appreciated (the extra time was mainly spent at the bear viewing area, and thanks to the wait, we eventually saw a brief view of the bears). Our driver was… interesting. Probably not the best choice for our family tour (his discussions of marijuana use in Alaska, how brothels operated and continue to operate in town, and the legal battles with his ex-wife over his daughter were interesting, but maybe not appropriate for our 6 and 12 year old daughters…). We stopped at the totem pole village (not quite sure what to think about this, but glad we saw it), drove through the city and saw the salmon ladder (the heavy rain meant the creek was so violent that we couldn’t actually see fish in most places). We drove by some bald eagle nests but so fast that we couldn’t even get a good look at them. There’s a place he said they normally see sea lions, but they weren’t out that day – it was OK since we saw several the day before. We eventually stopped at the bear viewing area and though it took a while, eventually we saw a couple of bears, briefly, in the distance. In looking at their tripadvisor review, it seems that our so-so experience is not uncommon. When going to Ketchikan, I’d recommend having some backup plan in place (rather than wandering to the tourist center like us) in case weather cancels your original plans.

General comment: We gave tips to the driver on each of our tours, but I honestly don’t know if we tipped too little or too much on each one. I would have loved to have known some guidelines for tipping, going in.

We were on the August 4th sailing and had an amazing time.

In Skagway, we did the Musher's Camp and Sled Dog tour, booked through Disney. We loved it! It was my mom and I and my 2 kids, DS7 and DD10. The bus ride up unto the mountains was a little long, but our guide was very informative and talked almost the whole time, so we learned a lot. We did get to see a brown bear on the way up. :)

When we reached the camp, we were then transferred to Unimogs, some kind of army vehicle that took us farther up to where the sled dogs were waiting for us. My kids got to sit in the cab with the driver and they loved it. It was a bumpy ride, but a lot of fun. The weather was really nice that day so even though it was an open air vehicle, we didn't really get cold.

We were then assigned a musher and his team of 16 dogs. We were lucky to get Wade, who finished 16th in the 2014 Iditarod. We rode with the dogs for about a mile and it was so much fun! They are fast, especially around curves. Our team caught up to the team in front of us and kept trying to pass. It was so funny seeing the dogs antsy and anxious to move faster.

After the ride, we got to meet the dogs, which was a highlight for my kids. The dogs were friendly and affectionate, very we'll trained. Wade was great about answering our questions and you could tell he really loves his dogs. We then climbed back into the Unimogs and went back down to the camp, which is where we got to cuddle with the puppies. They were 24 days old, but were so cute and soft. We also heard a short presentation about sled dog training and we got to watch a group of 4 month old puppies playing around in their training area.

I've read reviews of this excursion where people complained about the noise, the smell and feeling rushed. Yes, it was loud around the dogs with all their barking, but they are DOGS! Dogs bark. And it did smell, but again, you're around wet dogs who do smell when they get wet! And we never felt rushed. We spent about 10 minutes with the teams, which was enough for us. My kids were starting to lose interest, so we were ready when it was time to go. DD probably held the little puppy for about 20 minutes, but most other kids gave the puppies back after just a few. The pacing of the experience was very relaxed.

This excursion is definitely one I would recommend to people who are comfortable around dogs. Those who are skittish around dogs may not enjoy it as much. Also, the ride in the Unimogs was very bumpy, so those with back issues might want to reconsider. It was an amazing experience and one I definitely recommend!

In Juneau we used Harv and Marv for whale watching. We had a private boat for just the 6 of us and it was perfect. We saw quite a few whales. Our captain was Harv's or Marv's (I can't remember which one) 21 year old daughter. She was fun and energetic and really knew her stuff. I was impressed. She even took us to a small island filled with sea lions that are only there for 2 weeks every year as they move from the inlet waters to the coastline. After the whale watching our guide took us for a quick stop at Mendenhall Glacier. Our driver was wonderful. He knows so much about Juneau and we could tell that he really loves where he lives. He was funny and informative and very nice.

In Kechikan my mom and DD were supposed to go kayaking, but it was canceled due to the weather. It rained nonstop while we were there. DH and DS went salmon fishing and had a great time. We now have 18 lbs of salmon in our freezer!

My dad is in the early stages of Parkinson's, so he and I did the Ketchikan Duckboat Tour, which I did not like at all. I thought it would be a nice excursion for him with no walking and where he could sit and relax. I didn't realize we would have to climb a small ladder into the vehicle, which was a problem for my dad. The driver, though, was very helpful getting my dad up the ladder. The seats were too close together and we had very little leg room. I'm only 5'5" and I was having a hard time feeling crammed in. The tour itself was cheesy and drawn out. I did not enjoy it at all. I liked getting to see Ketchikan and learning of its history, but that took up only about 30 minutes of the 2 hour tour. Maybe I would feel differently if I hadn't felt like we were crammed in like sardines. It was pretty awful overall and not worth the money.

Tipping was accepted for each excursion, but we had no idea how much to give. The general attitude I got from the tours was any amount is welcome, give what you can.

How much you tip on your private whale tour? Was it just the boat captain or did they have a naturalist onboard as well?

Yukon Rail and Bus Excursion with Chilkoot Charters...this is the trip to Emerald Lake without the dog sledding. It was amazing. We sat in the caboose of the train and we got so many amazing pictures and videos from the outside back of the train. The train was full but most people were polite about coming and going from the outside of the train. There were about 20-25 people on our little bus and we had James as a tour guide. He told us a lot of great stories about the locals and about his life. We saw 3 different sets of bears and stayed on the side of the road for a long time just snapping picture after picture. Lunch was decent and just the right amount of time. The puppies were a little disappointing as they were napping and we weren't allowed to touch them. Oh well, it wasn't that big of a deal. Emerald Lake was stunning and I highly recommend taking the extra drive to see it.

Whale watching with Harv and Marv...I can't say enough about this excursion. It was better than I could have ever imagined. We were 13 people and had the boat to ourselves. We had a driver and a naturalist (college student who gave narratives and answered all of our questions). We saw so many whales, we learned what bubble netting was, we have so many awesome pictures and videos. I really can't say enough about this trip. Highly recommend!!!

I was just coming to post my experiences but I can just C&P these ones :thumbsup2 :rotfl2::rotfl2:

We did the same excursion in Skagway with Chilkoot Charters (even had James as our guide) but my kids did do the dogcart ride, which they loved. They were also a little disappointed by the sleeping puppies because it was very warm out and most were sleeping under a box in the shade. But they did get to pet a couple. We were also at the back of the train and I had a hard time keeping my DS inside while other people were taking pictures from the back platform. As soon as he saw an open space, he wanted to be back out there :rotfl:

We thought we would be doing whale watching with another group but we ended up with a private Harv and Marv whale watch instead. It was just the three of us with the guide. What an amazing experience. We started out just following two whales for a while but then heard about some other activity and found ourselves in the middle of about 15 whales. They were all around the boat and some even came right up next to us. Just awesome! After the whale watching, they dropped us off at Mendenhall Glacier (we got our own transportation back). That gave us plenty of time to walk the Nugget Falls trail. Unfortunately, right as we arrived at the falls, the rain came pouring down so it was a soggy trip back to the visitor center. Definitely be prepared with good rain shells and waterproof shoes. :thumbsup2 That saved the excursions for us (both whale watching with light rain and the glacier viewing).

In Ketchikan, we booked with Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tours and found this to be a great way to see Ketchikan. We were blessed with a sunny and beautiful day so picture taking was great. Dave (co-owner) took us all over Ketchikan. We tried to see bears but it was too warm for them (but we were still amazed by the number of salmon jumping upstream). We found multiple eagle's nests and got some amazing pictures. Plus we arrived at the totem pole museum/Potlach park before the cruise excursions so we had the place to ourselves. Dave got us back to the ship with plenty of time to go back on board for a snack before heading back out for shopping.

We thought we would be doing whale watching with another group but we ended up with a private Harv and Marv whale watch instead. It was just the three of us with the guide. What an amazing experience. We started out just following two whales for a while but then heard about some other activity and found ourselves in the middle of about 15 whales. They were all around the boat and some even came right up next to us. Just awesome! After the whale watching, they dropped us off at Mendenhall Glacier (we got our own transportation back). That gave us plenty of time to walk the Nugget Falls trail. Unfortunately, right as we arrived at the falls, the rain came pouring down so it was a soggy trip back to the visitor center. Definitely be prepared with good rain shells and waterproof shoes. :thumbsup2 That saved the excursions for us (both whale watching with light rain and the glacier viewing).

jetskigrl, this is such perfect timing because we're considering a private tour with Harv & Marv as well! Thank you for the write-up. :)

Just got back from the 8/25 Alaska cruise and it was amazing! We did the helipcopter dogsled in Skagway, which was one of the coolest things we've ever done! I used my gopro to film it, you can go to YouTube and search "Gopro Hero 3- Helicopter Ride and Dog Sledding in Skagway Alaska" to see our trip to the glacier to dogsled. Highly recommend that when you go. Have fun!

Just got back from the 8/25 Alaska cruise and it was amazing! We did the helipcopter dogsled in Skagway, which was one of the coolest things we've ever done! I used my gopro to film it, you can go to YouTube and search "Gopro Hero 3- Helicopter Ride and Dog Sledding in Skagway Alaska" to see our trip to the glacier to dogsled. Highly recommend that when you go. Have fun!

Thanks for sharing your dogsledding experience in Alaska. Did you go with Disney or arrange your own? I am interested in the dogsledding excursion but not sure whether I should go with Disney or Non-Disney. We are two adults only. Any advise is appreciated!

We did it in Skagway, and we went directly through Temsco they have a pretty informative website. Experiences are exactly the same, you pay about $100 less a head going through them. The place you take off from is literally 100 feet off the boat too, so no need for a bus from Disney or anything. It was absolutely amazing, one of the coolest things we've ever done. Well worth it.

We did it in Skagway, and we went directly through Temsco they have a pretty informative website. Experiences are exactly the same, you pay about $100 less a head going through them. The place you take off from is literally 100 feet off the boat too, so no need for a bus from Disney or anything. It was absolutely amazing, one of the coolest things we've ever done. Well worth it.
Thanks for the info and the GREAT goPro video!! That is exactly what we were looking for on our trip August, 2015! :thumbsup2

:rolleyes:
Ditto to the above! Except we took our 5-year old with us to see the bears and he loved it! He really enjoyed feeding the reindeer after we saw the bears. In addition to the above excursions, we did Best of Juneau too. All of our excursions were awesome! We didn't have second thoughts about any of them! Best vacation ever (and I say that from a hotel room in Hawaii!!)

Wich excursion was that with the bears, I want to see bears, we are going july 20,2015:rolleyes:

It was Bear Country and Wildlife Expedition. We saw lots of bears and it was a great day! You're going to love Alaska!
Thanks! Has anyone done this excursion in mid July and if so what was your review? Did you see a lot of bears? I ask because the dcl site says this excursion doesn't start until mid July which I'm guessing if at all would be my cruise which is 7/13/15. I think it is seasonal because the bears don't become active until the salmon running begins. I love the idea of seeing bears on this trip but I don't think I could stomach spending $200 each and not seeing any. Would love to hear from more people who did this in mid July to hear what your experience was like early in the season.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter