Alaska Excursions--post your reviews here!

In Ketchikan we did the Disney Exclusive: Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour and Dinner with the Crew. We all really enjoyed this excursion and I would recommend it. There is a part where they throw out fish and eagles come in that is just amazing. We had at least 40-50 eagles swooping around the boat. It was really a once in a lifetime experience. The dinner was fine and the stories were interesting. Before the dinner and after the rest of the tour group leaves they take you on a long tour of the boat (from the Deadliest Catch show) and you can sit in the captain's chair etc.

I was on that excursion with you and also really enjoyed it. The time with the eagles was amazing, albeit a bit Hitchcockian. The dinner itself was good, although I would have preferred to have been seated around a table rather than have the tray tables brought to the auditorium-style seating.

We too were on the 5/24 sailing.

In Sitka we booked a tour with Sitka Sound Tours with Jim Seeland. He was awesome. We shared our 6 pack with another 3 person family from the ship and saw lots of eagles, otters, humpbacks, seals, sea lions and the grey whales. We were having so much fun watching the grey whales that we didn't go out to the island to see the puffins. Highly recommend Jim.

In Skagway we booked the White Pass Train and Highway Combo Tour through Frontier Excursions and Adventures. This was the most amazing tour. Our group had a personal train car on the way up. My friend and I had the entire train balcony all to ourselves. Once we got to the Yukon, we had a private tour bus and the sun came out for a beautiful day. We saw both Dahl sheep and Mountain goats. The lakes were the most incredible color of blue. Except for Emerald Lake, which was a magnificent green. Our guide was the absolutely the best ever!

In Juneau, we booked a private whale watching tour for 11 people with Weather Permitting. This was an amazing experience. Captain Harry and Captain John were awesome. We were so lucky to have found a pod of orcas to follow. We could have watched them all day. My DH even saw a huge male jump, but of course, I was looking elsewhere.

In Ketchikan, DH took the Sea Bearing Fisherman's excursion and thought it was amazing. DD and I did the Bear Creek Ziplining and had a wonderful time flying amongst the trees. It was an absolutely beautiful sunny day.

We are on the August 11 cruise and I have a question about bathrooms on the tours.

Skagway - Klondike Gold Dredge and White Pass Railway.
Are there bathrooms in the Gold Dredge area and the Coach Bus returning to the ship? (I know there are bathrooms on the train)​

Juneau - Dog Sledding on Mendenhall Glacier by Helicopter.
Are there bathrooms up on the Glacier?​

Ketchikan - Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour
Are there bathrooms on the boat?​

Thanks! My mom has to use the bathroom quite often so I want to make sure she will have access to one for these port adventures.

We are on the August 11 cruise and I have a question about bathrooms on the tours.

Are there bathrooms in the Gold Dredge area and the Coach Bus returning to the ship? (I know there are bathrooms on the train)​

Thanks! My mom has to use the bathroom quite often so I want to make sure she will have access to one for these port adventures.

I am sure there are bathrooms on the Mendenhall glacier dog-sledding as there are people that live up there with the dogs thru the summer, but we never requested to use one and I can only imagine how cold it would be. Our excursion was not cancelled, but we booked directly with ERA, not thru DCL. We not only got to ride in the dog sled, but we got to take turns standing/driving the second sled that was attached. This was the most amazing excursion, and I highly recommend ERA.

We are doing the same tour, but through Chilkoot tours. Might be kind of different actually, but sorta similar. What was the issue with fellow guests?

We had some rather outspoken, pushy people on our bus that made sure everyone knew when things weren't to their liking. Additionally, we didn't get to sit together on the train portion of the tour (although we were within a couple of rows of each other in the same car), but this was because a couple of families chose to spread out - and then spend most of the ride on the platforms.

There must have been more than one departure group for this tour, as my guide talked the entire bus ride up and was very informative. I agree that the mosquitoes were horrendous at Carcross. I still can't figure out how I escaped without a single bite when I didn't have any repellant on me.

There were two busses for this excursion.

We really did enjoy the excursion, but we had such a good time on this excursion previously, we may have held the measuring stick too high. We had a good time, there were just several small annoyances that all kind of added up, you know? Again - they were all external to the excursion itself!

I am sure there are bathrooms on the Mendenhall glacier dog-sledding as there are people that live up there with the dogs thru the summer, but we never requested to use one and I can only imagine how cold it would be. Our excursion was not cancelled, but we booked directly with ERA, not thru DCL. We not only got to ride in the dog sled, but we got to take turns standing/driving the second sled that was attached. This was the most amazing excursion, and I highly recommend ERA.

What was the weather like - my parents are in Texas so I am worried about it being too cold for them and want to make sure they pack properly. Thanks!!!!

We had the helicopter/Mendenhall dog sled excursion booked and were really, really sad that it was canceled. :sad: From the sounds of it all the DCL scheduled helicopter/dog sled excursions were canceled in Juneau that day.

What kind of notice did you get from DCL about the cancellation? We have this excursion booked through DCL for our August cruise and that's my concern.

We have the latest possible one booked in hopes that helps with the weather. I'm just curious how much notice they give as I imagine it will be a scramble to try to make alternative plans.

Thanks!

What was the weather like - my parents are in Texas so I am worried about it being too cold for them and want to make sure they pack properly. Thanks!!!!

It was cold (as you would expect it to be standing on a glacier). I wore two layers of Cuddle Duds tops, a lightweight sweatshirt, a fleece lined hoodie and an all-weather jacket on top of that. I also had on some Smartwool socks, a pair of Cuddle Duds base layer pants, jeans and waterproof shoes. (They give you overboots for your shoes, which worked great). I also had on a wool headband and 180's earmuffs and gloves with hand warmers inside. I never got too warm and never got too terribly cold. My legs got a little chilly when I was riding in the dog sled - a blanket would have been nice.

I am from North Carolina, so I am not used to the severe cold either.

Back to add, it was not windy on the glacier, but it was very breezy where we boarded the helicopter at their base/hanger.

Thanks for the quick reply. I think it is something we would enjoy. I have two last questions about this excursion
1) When you say the kids went off to do their activity, does that mean in a seperate area away from the parents. My lil guy is very shy and I dont know how keen he would be if he needs to be seperated from me in a place he is not familiar in.

Yes, the kids go to a special building with the counsellors and the wood carver. I didn't see anyone on our tour refuse to go or get antsy when they left their parents. We got to watch them enter and even peep in the window for a second, before setting off to tour with the guides. It's not a huge place, so you are never that far away from the children but are out of sight for a while (maybe 20 minutes).

2) Did it show alot of history? My husband is really into history of cultures. And, I heard Potlatch Park has an antique car muesum. Was there time to view that?

There was some history and native stories which I found interesting. Although I'm sure there were some cars, I didn't pay much attention to them. We did spend a while in the shop and took some time to look around the antique gun museum and visit the restroom! :goodvibes

Love this thread, thanks for all the good information!

For those of you who have done the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour in Ketchickan, would it be suitable for our 14month old? TIA!

I can answer that there are bathrooms to use in all of the places you asked about except the dog sledding on Mendenhall Glacier. I can't answer that because our excursion there was canceled. :sad1:

What kind of notice did you get from DCL about the cancellation? We have this excursion booked through DCL for our August cruise and that's my concern.

We have the latest possible one booked in hopes that helps with the weather. I'm just curious how much notice they give as I imagine it will be a scramble to try to make alternative plans.

Thanks!

We did book the latest one with the same hopes as you. We had heard the morning excursions were all canceled as well. We did not get any notice. We showed up in the Wavebands lounge at 12:10 for our 12:15 assigned time. When DH went to sign in they asked him to sit down and someone would be over to talk to him. That is when they came over and told us. They said they wait until the last possible minute to cancel because conditions can change. Another family we met on the cruise had the same experience with an earlier scheduled heli/dog sled excursion.

The CM then gave us the booklet and showed us the 3 excursions that still had openings, Salmon Bake, Dog Camp Carting, and a Floatplane 5-Glacier. We took the last 5 openings of the floatplane excursion. It was okay, but overpriced for what you got.

After reading this I am kicking myself because I had debated back and forth with booking on my own with ERA or going through DCL and figured DCL would be safer only to find out the ERA people went up. :mad:

Love this thread, thanks for all the good information! For those of you who have done the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour in Ketchickan, would it be suitable for our 14month old? TIA!

We loved this excursion, but a lot of it is like a show. You sit in stadium style seating and watch/listen. For us, it was also very cold once we got out into the ocean. I would think this might be challenging for most 14 month olds, but that depends on your child's personality. Again, we loved it, but my kids were 8 and 11.

Hi!

We always book DCL excursions. So far we have had only one cancellation and that was in the Mediterranean and due to ocean currents and weather.
DH feels more comfortable booking through them and although I might take the chance of using someone like Harv and Marv for now we're happy.

Sitka~3 Stars~ Jet-Cat Wildlife Quest and Beach Exploration~
We went on a catamaran out to a beach and walked through the forrest for about an hour and spent about a half hour on the water coming and going.
We saw some otters and birds going to the beach. The tour director, Mary was nice as was the captain. She had baggies for us in case we wanted to take any shells back and DD found a piece of ocean glass and some shells. Unlike Hawaii, you are allowed to take what you find home.
They probably had the best hot chocolate of the entire cruise.
They provided local themed snacks, hc, tea and coffee.
On the way back we were able to view a young gray whale "playing" for about 20 minutes. He kept surfacing and diving like he was putting on a show like a kid.
You cant guarantee that you are going to see wildlife. We knew this going into this.
I would only give this 3 stars. Overall it wasnt that great and probably not worth the money spent.

Skagway~ 4 Stars~ Ocean Raft nature Adventure~
Rib boat through the Lynn Canal. This was fun!
Just DD and I did this as there was a weight limit and DH wasnt interested.
You are in an open boat with about 20 people and crew. You sit on a backwards saddle/Schwinn bicycle banana seat with the little metal bar to hold on to. Since the boat is small they are able to take you right up to the cliffs and waterfalls.
We saw lots of eagles! otters and Lauren, who looked just in time, saw a young bear on a shore line.
The captains name was Captain CJ and I did not get the naturalists name, but she was very good, knowledgable and enthusiastic!
Of course it was thrilling when the captain would speed up and do 360s1
Two young boys sitting up in the front were thrilled and shouted out
"That was awesome!"
Speed, wind whipping through your hair, nature up close, get to wear those awesome Deadliest Catch wet suite (required!).
Definitely do over, worth the money!
The only reason it gets 4 stars and not 5 is because the whole family didnt do it.

Juneau~ 4Stars~ Alaska's Whales and Glaciers Photo Safari
We chose this because DD thinks she will end up with a minor in photography.
I think she may end up with a major in it.
The gentleman, Dave, who was our guide has been a professional photography since college, used to do portraits, showed us some of his work as we were driving out to Mendenhall. Yes, he's good, knowledgeable and kept things at a very good pace. I think Lauren wsa able to get some pointers from him.
We went on a hike through the forrest to Mendenhall, not just a lets cross the street type of tour. Showed us the receding markers, spoke of the history of the local flora and fauna. We spent some time at the glacier and he offered to take our "Christmas card" photos. We took him up on the offer.
We reboarded the buses and went to the docks and boarded our boat.
On the ride there they gave us avery nice snack bag with at least 4 different things in it. Nice. And water bottles.
DH doesnt do well with small boats when he can feel the waves hitting and rocking. He does great on cruises.
There were times I was very concerned about him. That may be something you might want to keep in mind.
We starting seeing whales and then we would see these little black spots and they told us they were seals! They were playing and so cute!
And then... There was an Orca!! A young male. That made the day!
It was just amazing.
The weather was freezing and raining. the weather we were expecting in Ketchikan we had in Juneau.
On our ride back we were given dvds of what we saw and photography pointers and other things on it. It wasnt our specific trip but I think it was a really nice and I think DD will be able to use it.
Do over! and worth the money.

Ketchikan~ 5! Stars!~ Adventure Cart Expedition~
Cruises can be hard for the older kids when they dont fall into the adult category and they are too old for the clubs. We had our son pick out something that he wanted to do and this is what he chose. There is a weight limit but DH contacted the company directly and they told us that our son should be fine.
We could not have asked for more perfect weather! Ketchikan was dry. Not one drop of rain while we were there.
This is off road carting. They want you to hit the potholes. You cant avoid them to be honest. We had great views of the water and forrest. We learned about logging and deforestation before the National Forestry took over.
Our guide looked like Shaggy with Rastafarian hair. He was cool.
DH and I got to be the lead cart and our group was small with only 7 of us. 4 of us and one other family.
Yes, this one is expensive. Was it worth it? Yes. Would we have done it if we didnt have our son with us? No. But he was thrilled and after going along with everything else we felt he deserved to do something he wanted to do.
The memories are worth it.

well there you go, my long winded but honest review.
Hope this helps deciding what you will be doing.
Enjoy your cruise and happy sailing!

We did Alaska cruise a few years ago. Did the train in Sitka I think. It was great. And the kids liked the gold they found and were able to keep. Got off in Ketchikan and found our own guide. He was great. Saw a lot of wildlife for 100 for 6 of us. In Juneau we just walked around and had lunch. We tried for helicopter to glacier but that was cancelled. We were a little disappointed but it saved us over $1000 so we got over it quickly. Saw orcas right off the ship

I've searched this thread but haven't seen any recent reviews of the Mendenhall Glacier Adventure Hike in Juneau. Is it necessary to wear hiking shoes? The activity is listed as Active but curious as to how strenuous it is and if it's appropriate for 8 yr old. Appreciate any info in this excursion. Thank you!

I've searched this thread but haven't seen any recent reviews of the Mendenhall Glacier Adventure Hike in Juneau. Is it necessary to wear hiking shoes? The activity is listed as Active but curious as to how strenuous it is and if it's appropriate for 8 yr old. Appreciate any info in this excursion. Thank you!

if its any thing like the one we did, no you done need hiking shoes, just good closed toed or tennis shoes. Three of us wear New Balance and DD was in Converse.

Hi!

...Ketchikan~ 5! Stars!~ Adventure Cart Expedition~
Cruises can be hard for the older kids when they dont fall into the adult category and they are too old for the clubs. We had our son pick out something that he wanted to do and this is what he chose. There is a weight limit but DH contacted the company directly and they told us that our son should be fine.
We could not have asked for more perfect weather! Ketchikan was dry. Not one drop of rain while we were there.
This is off road carting. They want you to hit the potholes. You cant avoid them to be honest. We had great views of the water and forrest. We learned about logging and deforestation before the National Forestry took over.
Our guide looked like Shaggy with Rastafarian hair. He was cool.
DH and I got to be the lead cart and our group was small with only 7 of us. 4 of us and one other family.
Yes, this one is expensive. Was it worth it? Yes. Would we have done it if we didnt have our son with us? No. But he was thrilled and after going along with everything else we felt he deserved to do something he wanted to do.
The memories are worth it.

well there you go, my long winded but honest review.
Hope this helps deciding what you will be doing.
Enjoy your cruise and happy sailing!

Part of our group is doing this tour and my DD is curious about how dirty you get.(she's trying to figure out what clothes to wear lol) I know it can be different if it is a rainy day but that one she can figure out. Thanks!

If its dry you get really dusty and it is advised not to bring your camera.
The company provides you with outer clothing and helmets. You can buy, which we are glad we did, bandanas for five dollars.
We wore our "dirty" clothes since our carting was 2 days before we went home.

We did the bearing see fisherman tour. I can not say enough good things about it! It was awesome.sokething for everyone! Lots of eagles. Hold a crab! Hot chocolate!

I realize this isn't about Alaska, but it is related to the Alaska cruise - Has anyone done the Flyover Canada attraction at Canada Place, in Vancouver? I am thinking of buying tickets, but want feedback first if possible. I also don't know if it makes a difference, but I am Canadian. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter