Alaska-- do you swim?

AMB1

Mouseketeer
We are cruising to Alaska next July. My kids have seen pictures of the Mickey pool and think it looks fun. Do people actually use the pools on the Alaskan routes? Is there much activity on decks 9 and 10 or do people spend most of their time indoors?

Yes, people do swim in the pools on an Alaska cruise. The pools are heated so you are warm in the water.

We cruised to Alaska this summer and my children only used the pool on embarkation day--they were too busy all the other days to swim! I was surprised they didn't even ask to do it, but they truly were BUSY! There definitely were other people in the pools every day though...but they weren't packed by any means. There were maybe a handful of people at any given point (except for embarkation day). The pools are heated up really high for the Alaska trips.

Also the Goofy pool is sunk under the deck enough that you don't feel any breeze or wind. Now that, plus the heated water makes it nice to swim.

We used the hot tubs. As above, the pools are heated, so you are only cold in the open air.

Granted ours was in September, but I only saw a couple people swimming. So if your kiddos are willing to brave the air when they get out, they could have some prime swimming spots! :) especially when you are in a port!

Also the Goofy pool is sunk under the deck enough that you don't feel any breeze or wind. Now that, plus the heated water makes it nice to swim.

That's good to know. I've no doubt that the girls will want to go in, I'm just not sure Mom wants to go in with them! This may be a job for Dad:thumbsup2

We didn't swim when we went, but as others have said the pools are heated and do get use. The problem is getting out. I saw many frozen kids running to get dry and warm.

Based on trip reports I have read, I think our cruise the end of July this year was not the norm. It was freezing!!! Yes, there were a few peeople swimming and we did do the hot tub one day but said we were crazy after. It was so cold people were walking aroudnd in parkas, uggs, winter hats, etc.

We went to Alaska in July 2011 and the pools were heated and being used by lots of cruisers. Of course, the weather was very warm that week (except for Tracy Arm-we about froze sitting on deck!).

That's good to know. I've no doubt that the girls will want to go in, I'm just not sure Mom wants to go in with them! This may be a job for Dad:thumbsup2

I think the trick is having one person ready with towels when the rest get out and quick to get indoors (pretty easy to do).

Also the Goofy pool is sunk under the deck enough that you don't feel any breeze or wind.
act.jpg

lk.jpg

We are cruising to Alaska next July. My kids have seen pictures of the Mickey pool and think it looks fun. Do people actually use the pools on the Alaskan routes? Is there much activity on decks 9 and 10 or do people spend most of their time indoors?

We went on the Alaska Cruise this past September (3-10th 2012) Even with the chillier air the pools were all being used regularly...some kids lived in them lol.

There is plenty of activity all over the ship. Decks 9 and 10 always had some people out strolling, or sitting at the tables. Deck 10 also has the sports zone so it was being used quite a bit with basketball, air hockey, and fooseball.

Day 3 the entire ship will be on decks 9 and 10 as its a great place to take pictures when cruising Tracy Arm.

Hope this helps :)

Never used the pools on my last Caribbean and Hawaiian cruises.
Used the pools on both my Alaskan cruises.
Have a great photo of my entire family on HAL's Amsterdam in the outdoor pool at the very back of the ship, steam rising, and the Hubbard Glacier in the background.

My parents went last July. They are FL wimps and said it was too cold for anything but the hot tub. :laughing:

DisSarahK said:
We cruised to Alaska this summer and my children only used the pool on embarkation day--they were too busy all the other days to swim! I was surprised they didn't even ask to do it, but they truly were BUSY! There definitely were other people in the pools every day though...but they weren't packed by any means. There were maybe a handful of people at any given point (except for embarkation day). The pools are heated up really high for the Alaska trips.

We're going to Alaska in June, not on Disney, but this question could apply to us as well. I have the funny feeling, with all I've read about Alaska cruises in the Inner Passage, that there is so much to see and do, that our cruise will be much different than we are used to on other itineraries.

We went swimming in Alaska during our cruise in Aug. :cool1:
It was sunny and warm. I think it was the afternoon we were in Skagway; the ship wasn;t moving - so no wind.

We even laid on the lounge chairs and read for a while; in our bathing suits. We weren't alone.

It was strange because there were people walking by in parkas.

We had amazing sunny and warm weather. It was rainy and windy on our at sea days.

Brenda
from MB
<trying to decide where to go next>

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter