• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alaska cruise

ajcatman

1st Disney Visit 1976
Looking to take the 7 night Alaska cruise next August. Can anybody tell me about their experience? Trying to decide between Alaska and Bahamas.

Looking to take the 7 night Alaska cruise next August. Can anybody tell me about their experience? Trying to decide between Alaska and Bahamas.

There's really no comparison between the two. One is a warm weather destination and the other is cold. I did the DCL Alaska Cruise in August 2011 and the high was 50 degrees. I had a ball and just dressed accordingly. Alaska was somewhere I had always wanted to go and knew that the cruise was the best way for me to go. The scenery is unbelievable and you could not imagine my joy at seeing my first glacier.

If you decide to go to Alaska it will be because you want to see and do things in that part of the country. If you decide to go to the Bahamas, it's usually because you want a warm weather vacation. I've done both and would love to go back to Alaska to do what I didn't do the last time.

Alaska in August, no question about it. The Caribbean is too hot and sticky, and the itinerary may have to be adjusted for a hurricane or two.

I didn't cruise Disney to Alaska, but it was one of the Top 3 vacations I've ever taken (and we travel quite a lot). The Bahamas are nice, but it's not a whole lot different than Florida or any other beachy vacation, whereas Alaska is one of the most unique things you'll see. And just GORGEOUS!! I would love to go back someday.

I'm not into the beach, but I love to see new places. For me, traveling to Vancouver would be the tough part.
I wasn't looking to compare destinations though, just trying to get the most bang for my buck. I'm more into sight seeing and getting away from a hot Louisiana August sounds appealing.

I'm not into the beach, but I love to see new places. For me, traveling to Vancouver would be the tough part.
I wasn't looking to compare destinations though, just trying to get the most bang for my buck. I'm more into sight seeing and getting away from a hot Louisiana August sounds appealing.

Fly into Seattle. Our Alaskan cruise was out of Seattle and returned to Vancouver (Sept 2012). We were able to get a one-way, one-day car rental for about $85 from Vancouver to Seattle. WAY cheaper than flying out of Vancouver. Just something to think about.

There are other cruise lines that go to Alaska from Seattle. We just did a Southbound out of Seward on the Radiance of the Sea. Alaska is breathtaking! There is so much to do at each port. My husband and I are already talking about going back. I would return in a heartbeat. The views are spectacular and the air is so clean. We did so much during the cruise and there are so many things I want to go back and see and do. You will love it!

My vote is Alaska. We have done 7 Disney Cruises and Alaska by far was the our favorite.

I have been told for many years that if you ever do a cruise the best cruise to ever do is Alaska. And now I know why

Alaska if beautiful by far! And there are places you cannot get to unless it is by boat or plane.

We went to Tracy Arm, which is a glacier and they had a narrator over the intercom on the ship. It was so beautiful!!! That is something you cant see just anywhere, like the carribbean or Hawaii or Mexico

We took a helicopter in Juneau and landed on a Glacier and went dog sledding!! In August. Alaska is so beautiful and cool, it can't compete with the caribbean. Things in the Caribbean you can see in many other places such as Hawaii or southern Florida, or South America or the Mediterranean, etc. You can't get Alaska anywhere

Hands down ALASKA! I would be miserable at a hot, crowded beach ports. I have been to Alaska 2 times and hoping to do more. It is expensive to fly into Vancouver but we did the Seattle/Vancouver Quick shuttle. It was o.k. kind of long drive. Maybe try renting car next time but have heard it take along time to cross border. Be aware it will probably rain and be c:thumbsup2old but it is so worth it. Rainy day in Alaska over hot day at beach every time.

We were on the inaugural Alaskan cruise back in May 2011.

Weather was great. Views were great.

We even went snorkeling up there, which is a MUCH different experience from doing it in a warm climate.

We had the time of our lives.

I would suggest that you check out the Cruise Trip Report section as several people who have gone on this year's Alaskan cruises have written about their experiences.

We have reserved our spot on the Alaska cruise for August 18, 2014 and are very excited. Hope to see you there!!:yay::cool1:

So excited to read all of your wonderful reviews of the Alaskan cruise. We decided to get married on the Wonder in 2014 during the July 28th sailing. None of us have been and are counting the days!

Have you taken a cruise before?

Mike

Yes I have, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel out of New Orleans. It was ok but I probably would never go that route again. I like feeling safe when I travel, I didn't.

Yes I have, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel out of New Orleans. It was ok but I probably would never go that route again. I like feeling safe when I travel, I didn't.

Where didn't you feel safe? New Orleans?

You should go to Alaska then, if you don't feel safe traveling to warm weather locations. You'll love Alaska.

Mike

Where didn't you feel safe? New Orleans?

You should go to Alaska then, if you don't feel safe traveling to warm weather locations. You'll love Alaska.

Mike

I lIve in SE Louisiana, and honestly, lots of Jamaica looked like New Orleans. I love my area but yes, it's not the safest place in the US. Just like anyplace else though, you have to be very aware of your surroundings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter