Alaska cruise -- pros and cons of booking independently vs through DCL

Lisa46xx

Earning My Ears
Good morning. I have been wrestling with this and getting nowhere, so I have decided to throw it out to the experts for your opinions. I have a good idea of what I want to book when in Alaska this August, but I am still unsure whether to book independently or through DCL. As I understand it, booking independently is slightly cheaper and sometimes has the advantage of smaller group sizes. I'm not even too worried about getting back to the ship on time; these operators' livelihoods are dependent on making sure this happens. What does worry me is this: I have been on DCL in the Caribbean when port days have gotten switched or skipped altogether. Causes have ranged from weather to passenger emergency. DCL would make accommodations/refunds if booked through them (which I always have), but if I go independent, I am out of luck.

So, is going independent **really** worth it?

TIA for the advice!!

I booked six private tours in the three ports saved $$$$ got the times I wanted, was just us most of the time so not with others and we were so pleased we did it went like clockwork.

If we didn't show in port re weather they would refund us.

August should be OK for keeping ports. September is when it gets stormy for ships missing ports like Kechican.
Juneau's Mt Roberts tram is only excursion I would never book on the ship... August is the start of the wet season and I recommend looking up.... if the mountain is fogged in... wait 15 minutes for a clearning and THEN buy the ticket to go up the mountain.

I read before our Alaska cruise that sometimes the helicopter excursion companies would bump individual reservations to accommodate the cruise ship excursions. I think I remember that one couple had to wait an hour past their scheduled time. For that excursion, I booked directly through the ship (and that one is also very weather dependent no matter the month, so I liked the idea that I wouldn't have to worry about a refund due to cancellation). Everything else we scheduled independently and had no problems at all! Some of the things, like the Mt. Roberts tram and the bus to see the Mendenhall Glacier, we didn't pre-book at all-- we just walked off the ship and over to the tram and buses. Since the weather is always variable, it worked well for outdoor activities.

Good morning. I have been wrestling with this and getting nowhere, so I have decided to throw it out to the experts for your opinions. I have a good idea of what I want to book when in Alaska this August, but I am still unsure whether to book independently or through DCL. As I understand it, booking independently is slightly cheaper and sometimes has the advantage of smaller group sizes. I'm not even too worried about getting back to the ship on time; these operators' livelihoods are dependent on making sure this happens. What does worry me is this: I have been on DCL in the Caribbean when port days have gotten switched or skipped altogether. Causes have ranged from weather to passenger emergency. DCL would make accommodations/refunds if booked through them (which I always have), but if I go independent, I am out of luck.

So, is going independent **really** worth it?

TIA for the advice!!

I booked independently for this August Alaska.... Reputable agencies will refund you if there is a cancellation outside of your control (ie weather based). The best rated agencies don't want to risk negative reviews on Trip Advisor!

So as long as you stick to well established, well rated agencies, I think you're in very good shape.

We booked privately, just to have a greater selection and customization of what we wanted to do. Also, let me make plans in advance of our DCL booking window, when who knows exactly what times and options will be available. Finally, gives you real control over what agency you are using, as opposed to getting stuck with whoever DCL subcontracts. Whale watch in Juneau... By booking far in advance, we are on a much smaller ship, first thing in the morning. All booked and ready, I don't even know what times and options will be available through DCL when our window opens. A private custom tour of the Yukon/Skagway. Private seaplane for flight seeing over ketchikan. All already booked, at the times I wanted, with well established and well reviewed agencies.

I read before our Alaska cruise that sometimes the helicopter excursion companies would bump individual reservations to accommodate the cruise ship excursions. I think I remember that one couple had to wait an hour past their scheduled time. For that excursion, I booked directly through the ship (and that one is also very weather dependent no matter the month, so I liked the idea that I wouldn't have to worry about a refund due to cancellation). Everything else we scheduled independently and had no problems at all! Some of the things, like the Mt. Roberts tram and the bus to see the Mendenhall Glacier, we didn't pre-book at all-- we just walked off the ship and over to the tram and buses. Since the weather is always variable, it worked well for outdoor activities.

I book way from the companies booked by tours and cruise lines for that reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter