• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alaska-Castaway Club Gifts???

Petals & Pixie Dust

DIS Veteran
Just wondering if DCL was giving out the flip flop treats on the Alaskan itinerary...Just would not seem right...and curious what DCL may have done to change that up to be appropriately themed-if anything...

TIA

Just wondering if DCL was giving out the flip flop treats on the Alaskan itinerary...Just would not seem right...and curious what DCL may have done to change that up to be appropriately themed-if anything...

TIA

We were on the Repo cruise from LA to Vancouver & the first Alaska cruise. On each cruise we got the flip flop treats in our castaway club gift.

Why would they do anything different, they are still doing the Pirates in the Caribbean Party (minus the fireworks) for the Alaska cruises.

We were on the Repo cruise from LA to Vancouver & the first Alaska cruise. On each cruise we got the flip flop treats in our castaway club gift.

Why would they do anything different, they are still doing the Pirates in the Caribbean Party (minus the fireworks) for the Alaska cruises.

I guess I thought that Disney would stick to the theming, that's all. Not sure why they would do the pirates party...we aren't in the Caribbean...

I guess I thought that Disney would stick to the theming, that's all. Not sure why they would do the pirates party...we aren't in the Caribbean...

I wondered about both things. I also thought Disney would (and should) stick with the theming. We had Palo on pirates night so didn't really participate. We went by the party (cold on deck) and saw Elizabeth Mitchell (from "Lost") dressed as a pirate and that was it!

Sorry, but Pirate night on the Alaskan cruise is just dumb! Somebody decided to take the lazy way out!

Did they do Pirate night on the Mexican Rivera cruises? How about the Med. cruises?

Lame, lame, lame.

Sorry, but Pirate night on the Alaskan cruise is just dumb! Somebody decided to take the lazy way out!

Did they do Pirate night on the Mexican Rivera cruises? How about the Med. cruises?

Lame, lame, lame.

I agree. It was clever IN the Caribbean but out of the Caribbean it doesn't make sense. Surely they could have thought of something different and fun to do.

I think people love the pirate night thing, and they could still do it in Alaska, but just call it something else-or just simply 'Pirate Fun Night' and do some indoor activities involving 'pirate fun'.
We don't dress up -I dont like to be the center of attention at all and rather blend into the background. I wouldn't miss it if they changed it, but then again, I would rather pirates than a native themed night - I probably would avoid it at all costs if they did that - we live in that culture and its very much over done here at times (ie: everything to do with the Olympics turned into native stuff - and not all canadians are native!).

I agree. It was clever IN the Caribbean but out of the Caribbean it doesn't make sense. Surely they could have thought of something different and fun to do.

Why does it not make sense out of the Caribbean? There was and still is Pirate in other parts of the world. They were just as bad off the New England coast.

I think people love the pirate night thing, and they could still do it in Alaska, but just call it something else-or just simply 'Pirate Fun Night' and do some indoor activities involving 'pirate fun'.
We don't dress up -I dont like to be the center of attention at all and rather blend into the background. I wouldn't miss it if they changed it, but then again, I would rather pirates than a native themed night - I probably would avoid it at all costs if they did that - we live in that culture and its very much over done here at times (ie: everything to do with the Olympics turned into native stuff - and not all canadians are native!).

I wouldn't have wanted them to do that either....Epcot is stereotypical enough! It was way too cold for a deck party that didn't involve dressing layers though. Something indoors would have been good.

Why does it not make sense out of the Caribbean? There was and still is Pirate in other parts of the world. They were just as bad off the New England coast.

Because it's called "Pirates IN the Caribbean" and the capitals are Disney's not mine. I hardly think Disney wants to celebrate the real pirates of today.

Lame, lame, lame.

Yes, they did the Pirates night on the Mexican Riviera cruises.

They also did it on the Med cruise 10/11 night and Barcelona to Dover. Didnt make a difference that we were not in Caribbean. 10 nt Med was just as hot as Caribbean and didn't seem any different (they did have a 'Med night' too, wasnt quite as good though), Barcelona to Dover was a little rough that night, but people still seemed to enjoy never the less. Don't think a Disney cruise would be the same without the Pirate party! :)

Lame, lame, lame.

Yes, they did it on the MR in 2008 and on the Baltic in 2010.

Lame, lame, lame.

I AGREE!!

To the OP, I was told that yes they are still doing the flip flop rice krispie treats...I think that is SO lame to!! For how much we spent, you would think they would put more thought into it (along with the Pirates IN the Caribbean party).

The stateroom Castaway Club gifts have never been themed to a particular itinerary. I'm guessing we will get flip flops and leaky metal water bottles until the warehouse is empty! :lmao:

At least the RK treats this past two weeks weren't stale like the ones we got in January....uh oh, that may mean there's a new warehouse full!!!!!:scared1:

I AGREE!!

To the OP, I was told that yes they are still doing the flip flop rice krispie treats...I think that is SO lame to!! For how much we spent, you would think they would put more thought into it (along with the Pirates IN the Caribbean party).

Dear Someone From Disney,
I hope you are reading this...

The stateroom Castaway Club gifts have never been themed to a particular itinerary. I'm guessing we will get flip flops and leaky metal water bottles until the warehouse is empty! :lmao:

At least the RK treats this past two weeks weren't stale like the ones we got in January....uh oh, that may mean there's a new warehouse full!!!!!:scared1:

OK so I guess I should wish for fresh RK treats...at least make them a hiking boot or something. A warm throw blanket? Stretch gloves? Hat? Scarf? There are a ton of cheap ideas....Oh well. A gift is a gift and we should be thankful for that. It's just disappointing that they don't play to the theme of the cruise...

Again...

Dear Someone At Disney,
Looks like you are going against your own Keys To The Kingdom...kind of disappointing...:confused:

Lame, lame, lame.

As already answered--yes they do Pirates IN the Caribbean on the Med. I think they should at least change the name to Pirates in the MEd or OUT OF the Caribbean or something to acknowledge that the cutesy name is not applying at the moment.
I used to love the party, but it has been pretty much the same exact thing for years now--if they are not going to mix it up by itinerary, they ought to at least shake it up fleet wide and do some changes, additions, etc to freshen it up (or come up with another equally good party for the entire fleet, use it for 2-3 years and then change again).

As to the CC gift: I do not mind too much that it is not themed--that would get to be a lot, but I think it needs to change AT LEAST once a year as there are soooo many repeat cruisers. Or, they could have a variety of gifts and do it so that on your second cruise you will get gift A on third gift B and fourth gift C and so on.

We recently returned from a non-Disney cruise, and took part in a "Pirates in the Pacific" theme night. I can tell you, it wasn't a bar on Disney, though :eek:

TBH, I don't care what they call it - I think most people know it as "Pirate Night", geographic location notwithstanding.

Cheers,
Sally :)

If you cruise with a newbie or someone else, just pawn the stuff off on them! I leave the Rice Krispies on the desk for the stateroom host, or drop them in someone's FE. I have 4 of the water cans, 2 are still wrapped in their plastic bags. I LOVE the big bag tho, so I can deal with the other stuff, just give me another schlep bag. Saves me from bringing one with me.

If you cruise with a newbie or someone else, just pawn the stuff off on them! I leave the Rice Krispies on the desk for the stateroom host, or drop them in someone's FE. I have 4 of the water cans, 2 are still wrapped in their plastic bags. I LOVE the big bag tho, so I can deal with the other stuff, just give me another schlep bag. Saves me from bringing one with me.

Awesome idea! Thanks!:thumbsup2

Do you have a pic of this "big bag?"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter