Alaska 2015

Ill be curious to see once they have the new canal open if they're just going to leave the Magic or Wonder over there home ported in LA / Vancouver or if they'll stick with summers there and winters elsewhere. With the new locks that means Dream class ships will fit through it also which could open up a lot of new possibilities in the future

Yes they have to make a stop at Victoria which is on route from CA to Seattle. Seattle is easier/cheaper to get to, but Vancouver allowed more time in ports.

No, that's not right either. You can't sail from San Diego or LA to Seattle without a stop in a 'distant foreign port'--that doesn't include places like Vancouver, Victoria, or Ensenada, Mexico.

Passengers weren't even allowed to do B2B cruises, e.g. LA to Vancouver, then an Alaska itinerary from Vancouver that ended up in Seattle.

Okay I see what you mean now! But that still puts the Magic shorter than 1000 ft, which I thought was the max length for the canal.

The locks are 1000 feet long and 110 feet wide. They have to allow some room on the sides and the end when the ships come through. That is why the typical "Panamax" cruise ships are 965 feet long and 106 feet wide, which is what the Magic and Wonder are currently, after the refit (this fall for the Magic, unknown for the Wonder) they will be approx 985 feet long. They could possibly get an exception granted and still get through the locks, but that would be a long shot.

We were on the West Bound Panama Canal on the Wonder this spring, and the construction on the new locks (approx 1200 feet long and 150 wide) is way behind schedule. We heard from officers on the ship they are not scheduled to open until at least 2016 possibly as late as 2018. The construction that I saw with my own eyes agrees with this.

Just a side note, once the new locks are completed the Dream and Fantasy will be able to get through the Canal as well, which will open up lots of possibilities for exotic destinations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter