Alamo vs National

jennib5426

DIS Veteran
We always rent from National Emerald isle at MCO, but prices for cars are so expensive this year in March, 1 week intermediate $250

Alamo is running $40 cheaper right now, 1 week compact $209.

I love Emerald isle but these prices are awful, last year I paid $117 for a week at National.

How is Alamo at the airport?
I remember in the old days when it was off site and it was just awful.
Are they any better now that they are at the airport?

I used Alamo in October after always using National. I was used to paying around $105-$120 with National. They were over $200 in October, Alamo was around $160. The line at the counter wasn't too bad, maybe 15 minutes. You still get to pick your car, I got a new Malibu.

I used Alamo this past Nov. and was very pleased with their service. Their location is across the street and to the left on the first level, real close.

Look into the no need to stop at the counter service they offer, can't remember what is actual name is, but I used it and bypassed the counter in the airport. Sign up on-line / walk to their lot, pick your car out of the class you paid for (keys are in them) and the attendant at the exit checks you out, no waiting.

Wow...I was just coming to post the same question!

I've always used National in the past....we are Emerald Aisle members....and I love being able to reserve an intermediate, and select a larger car upon arrival. Does Alamo have any such program? Each of our last 2 trips, I reserved an intermediate level and was able to select a minivan off the Aisle.

TIA!
Sammy

I was also wondering that about Alamo but I didn't see anythng on there website about an Emerald isle type feature.

I love emerals isle, in septembet they had SUV's, VW beatle convertables and PT cruiser convertibles on Emerald isle at MCO.

But is Emerald isle worth $50 on your total rental price?

Alamo is evil. I would happily pay $40 more to not deal with them!

Alamo is evil. I would happily pay $40 more to not deal with them!

Michelle:

Sounds like you're pretty firm in your opinion, but offering a statement like that without "for instances" doesn't help the rest of us very much. I currently have a ressie with Alamo and I'd like to know what experiences you've had that make you come to that conclusion.

TIA

If you use Alamos quickthing service, it feels exactly like National to me. I just walk in, pick my car, and drive out. Well, I stop at the kiosk thing first, inside garage, because I had a coupon, but otherwise it's the same. (I do not get on the line in the terminal)

Last trip I was back with National, but they are pretty much interchangable to me. IF prices were same, I would favor National, because of the way they deal with coupons, but it was no big deal.

Michelle:

Sounds like you're pretty firm in your opinion, but offering a statement like that without "for instances" doesn't help the rest of us very much. I currently have a ressie with Alamo and I'd like to know what experiences you've had that make you come to that conclusion.

TIA

Ok...I guess!

We got there, and the line was an hour ong at nine o'clock in the evening. They had 2 people working. When we got to the front of the line, the employee spent 20 minutes trying to talk us into an upgrade. We had an awesome deal from Priceline, and the upgrade would have quadrupled our price.:scared1: Truly 20 minutes. Spent another 15 minutes trying to convince us we needed insurance. Umm...no we didn't. When she finally accepted that we were not going to be talked into any more expensive options, she spent another 15 minutes doing the paperwork. Then we asked her if she knew where the Westgate Villas were. She said she did, grabbed the map from my hand scribbled on it and promptly gave us the wrong directions. An hour later we finally had our van.

The in-laws rented that same night from national...they had their car in 12 minutes. Literally.

They also attempted to charge us for damage to the car. Luckily we had video-taped (with the attendant) the exterior and interior of the van before we turned over the keys.

I won't use Priceline again for a car no matter how good the deal, because I will never deal with Alamo again. As I said so succinctly before...Alamo is evil.:rolleyes1

Alamo and National are the same company. I don't understand how there can be a difference in service when it's the same employees and the same cars. In addition, Emerald Club and Quiksilver both allow you to go right to the group of cars for the class you reserved and bypass dealing with employees until you get to the exit gate. Whether you book from Alamo or National, the group of cars you're selecting from are the exact same cars. So how can Alamo be so horrible and National so great?

BobK/Orlando

Yes Alamo and National are owned by the same company but I believe there is a difference when you are talking about the Emerald Club benefits with National and what ever club Alamo has.
That is why I am asking.

If I book at National I get Emerald isle which usually means a free upgrade and a selection fo cars greater that 12 Chevy Impalas or Malibu's in different colors.

I have not booked with Alamo since they merged with National but I could not find anything on there website that was as appealing as Emerald isle.

And if they are the same company why is everything from the check in counters, car pick up lots and the prices different?

We have used both National and Alamo. When renting a midsize with Alamo, we proceeded to the midsize section and chose any care we wanted. There were both midsize cars and larger vehicles. It compares with the Emerald Aisle.

I know others have posted problems, but we have always had good luck.

We have used both National and Alamo. When renting a midsize with Alamo, we proceeded to the midsize section and chose any care we wanted. There were both midsize cars and larger vehicles. It compares with the Emerald Aisle.

I know others have posted problems, but we have always had good luck.

We had to go thru the line due to our priceline purchase. ($17 a day for a minivan for 2 weeks.)
The woman was such a witch, that I wouldn't do it again, even for that price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter