Alamo, do they have "standard" cars at MCO??

disneynewman

DIS Veteran
I think I remember reading that Alamo does not have a "standard" size car lane at MCO and therefore you choose from the "full" size line. Am I remembering correctly or just making this up in mymaind:rotfl:

I think I remember reading that Alamo does not have a "standard" size car lane at MCO and therefore you choose from the "full" size line. Am I remembering correctly or just making this up in mymaind:rotfl:

No, they do not have a standard section at MCO, you select from the full size section.

Hey gmeh1, do you know if they have Standard vehicles at Sanford (SFB)?

Hey Nacho, I really don't have an answer for that. If they show standard as a class for Sanford, book it, worse case, you will get a standard car, which is really not a lot different than the full size car; best case, you will get a full size car.

I have a question for gmeh1. I read a post a while back that someone said that they will book a standard car knowing that they will be directed to the full size aisle and will look for a crossover on the aisle. Is that standard practice or do you just put them there when there is no room for them elsewhere?

Thanks very much

I had a choice of a Chevy Malibu or Impala = Alamo midsize car rental = MCO ... I really wanted a bit smaller car (mpg) ... but the Malibu was ok for short distance / trips ... actually the car size (step up) does add some extra features (A/C was better &
more interior space) and a tad more plush.

Hey Nacho, I really don't have an answer for that. If they show standard as a class for Sanford, book it, worse case, you will get a standard car, which is really not a lot different than the full size car; best case, you will get a full size car.
Thank you. We booked the standard since its $10 less per week, we'll see what we end up with. They show Ford Fusion as the standard car, wouldn't mind driving one of these anyway. Heading up to Panama City Beach for 4 days during our vacation. Looks like 5-6 hour drive each way so looking for something nice and comfy to drive that doesn't kill my wallet at the gas station.

I have a question for gmeh1. I read a post a while back that someone said that they will book a standard car knowing that they will be directed to the full size aisle and will look for a crossover on the aisle. Is that standard practice or do you just put them there when there is no room for them elsewhere?

Thanks very much

Rarely will you see a crossover on the full size aisle. IF (and that is a big IF) we are running short on full size cars and running large on crossovers, we will put them on the full size row. Most of the time mini vans will be put there if we are running short on full size. Definitely not something I would bank or bet on.

I had a choice of a Chevy Malibu or Impala = Alamo midsize car rental = MCO ... I really wanted a bit smaller car (mpg) ... but the Malibu was ok for short distance / trips ... actually the car size (step up) does add some extra features (A/C = quieter &
more interior space) and a tad more plush.

All our cars have AC. The Malibus are very nice, especially the LTZ models.

Thank you. We booked the standard since its $10 less per week, we'll see what we end up with. They show Ford Fusion as the standard car, wouldn't mind driving one of these anyway. Heading up to Panama City Beach for 4 days during our vacation. Looks like 5-6 hour drive each way so looking for something nice and comfy to drive that doesn't kill my wallet at the gas station.

I hear you. Look up the MPG's online and select the one with the best MPG. Look up Impalas (largest trunk), Altimas, Malibus (this is what you will most probably find). Gas prices are dropping like stones here, happily. Disney area prices are approx. 3.26(+/-) per gallon today. Not sure about the prices for your side trip, but, gasbuddy.com can give you an idea.

All our cars have AC. The Malibus are very nice, especially the LTZ models.

Re A/C ... was the fact that the A/C was more Quiet (Quieter) .:rolleyes:

Actually what I'm trying to say = even though I was not Happy with the Larger size Car (I like a smaller car = civic/sentra/corolla)... it did have some benefits / more efficient items.

On Oct/2011 I got a "standard" Ford Fusion even renting a compact. It was right there at the economy section... so even picking a economy, compact, mid or standard, you should be ok... pick the cheapest!

On Oct/2011 I got a "standard" Ford Fusion even renting a compact. It was right there at the economy section... so even picking a economy, compact, mid or standard, you should be ok... pick the cheapest!

I completely disagree, that logic is just preparing you for disapointment. With the exception of standard getting a full size, you should book what you need, not what you gamble you will get. If you rented a compact, you would not have been in the econ. section, you would have been in the compact section. We have been known to have mini vans in the compact section. Does that mean you should gamble? Only if you like long odds.

I hear you. Look up the MPG's online and select the one with the best MPG. Look up Impalas (largest trunk), Altimas, Malibus (this is what you will most probably find). Gas prices are dropping like stones here, happily. Disney area prices are approx. 3.26(+/-) per gallon today. Not sure about the prices for your side trip, but, gasbuddy.com can give you an idea.

An Altima or Malibu would be nice too, with the gas prices being down, we're not as worried about the gas mileage on this trip. I loved Nationals emerald aisle at MCO, when we were down in January we lucked out and got an Infiniti G37 from the aisle. It was an awesome car to drive, but we drove down to Key West for a couple of days and we paid dearly at the gas pumps (gas was over $4/gallon at the time). Too bad National doesn't have the Emerald Aisle at SFB, but sounds like we will be OK with the Standard that we have booked with Alamo.
Thanks again gmen1

I already have a crossover rented but was thinking about trying to get away with the fusion. Are you saying that they dont have them at MCO? Does anyone know just how big the fusion is? it says 5 people and 4 bags, but there will be 5 of us ( one being a 4 yr old in a booster seat). Just dont know about getting our 3 large suitcases and stroller in the trunk.

I already have a crossover rented but was thinking about trying to get away with the fusion. Are you saying that they dont have them at MCO? Does anyone know just how big the fusion is? it says 5 people and 4 bags, but there will be 5 of us ( one being a 4 yr old in a booster seat). Just dont know about getting our 3 large suitcases and stroller in the trunk.

We have ford fusions, what we don't have is a standard car section. If you rent a standard size car you will be selecting from the full size section. You would be best off with an Impala (a full size car). It has a huge trunk. If you notice on the pictures on the web site, it give you an example of what to expect, IE: standard is a Ford Fusion and underneath that is says "or similar". Just rent the standard car and look for an Impala and if you don't see one, ask the friendly greeter. We can probably find one for you.

We have ford fusions, what we don't have is a standard car section. If you rent a standard size car you will be selecting from the full size section. You would be best off with an Impala (a full size car). It has a huge trunk. If you notice on the pictures on the web site, it give you an example of what to expect, IE: standard is a Ford Fusion and underneath that is says "or similar". Just rent the standard car and look for an Impala and if you don't see one, ask the friendly greeter. We can probably find one for you.

thank you. I did understand about the full size isle. Do you know, if i already have the full size cross over reserved, what else could be there that i may get. I just dont want to get a small SUV like an escape.

I think you are answering me on two different threads..i just noticed that. I apologize !

yes. thank you, but now prices are back up. I have my rental through alamo and we have a couple suvs in the family, so i may just stick with the one i have unless prices go back down again. Thank you so much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter