Alamo at the port... And other car rental questions!

tinytinkmom

I work to support my vacation habit!
We have always taken either DCL tranportation or a private car service to the port, but we are looking at renting a car to make the drive from POFQ to the port for our upcoming trip. I like the idea of renting through the Car Care Center with Alamo and having them pick us up at POFQ. However, searching the boards, I found conflicting info as to whether the Cape Canaveral Alamo has shuttle service... Anyone have experience with Alamo at the port?

Also, a few probably dumb questions, but we never rent cars...

What hours do you usually request a rental car to drive to the port? I was thinking about just putting 8am-noon, as we want to be at the port at 11am... But do you usually put a later return time "just in case"?

Are there quite a few gas stations near the car rental companies in Cape Canaveral, to refill the tank before dropping it off?

About how much do the tolls cost between WDW and the port?

Finally, for those of you that have rented cars to drive to the port, would you do it again, or is it a hassle?

the cars in the car care center tend to be terrible clunkers...
that has been our experience when renting there..

DD just rented from there a few weeks back and her windshield wipers stopped working in the middle of a rainstorm....the car was old and battered...
not the sort of car you get when you pick one out for yourself at the airport...

no way would i want to drive an hour on a highway in the rent a wreck she was given...

i was going to drive to the port for our cruise in october, but i've decided to turn in my rental the day before and take a town car service to the port instead..

I rented a car for the day from Alamo at the Dolphin in July, and I have always gotten nice cars from there. I chose a specific pick-up time of 9:00, and not a window of time.

The tolls from the Dolphin to the port are $5.00 one-way if you take 536/417 (the Greeneway)/528. They are slightly less if you take I-4/528 - but that route has a lot more traffic. There are quite a few gas stations along A1A as you pass the port on the way to the car rental offices.

I read here that someone called the Enterprise office in Cape Canaveral (includes National and Alamo) to verify that they have a shuttle to the port, and the answer was yes.

**There is no resort pick-up if you reserve your Alamo/National/Enterprise car at the Dolphin. However, both Avis at the Hilton at DD and Budget at the Doubletree will pick you up at your resort.

There are lots of gas stations in the Port Canaveral area for filling up the tank before dropping off your rental car.

Renting from Alamo next month.Hope it will all be okay ! We have a PAT of 1.30pm and I planned on giving the car back at 11.30. Any experiences on how long it took to.drop off the car and.then get back to the cruise terminal ?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter