AKV smell?

In June the monorail will smell worse than Kidani.

The only bad smells I've ever noticed at AKV were the cigarette smoke left behind by the previous occupant and some pretty wretched smells coming from the kitchen next door. :sick:

I don't smell anything inside AKL. I think the exterior areas that overlook the Savannah smell "earthier" than the "grassier" smell at the other resorts. It smells less like Florida. It isn't the smell of animal poop - but more of trampled grass and maybe just a tiny little scent of horse - not horse barn, but horse.

I've been to AKL several times and have stayed at both Kidani and Jambo, mostly never smelling anything. However, last December (the first week), we stopped by to find a mug at the gift shop, and there was a very obnoxious odor that we likened to rotting lobster. I hadn't noticed it before and have heard nothing of it since, but we didn't imagine it. We were actually filming when we walked in since we wanted to capture all the decorated trees at the resorts, and we were very surprised to smell something so awful. It was noticeable outside the front entrance and while standing on one of the outdoor observation decks. Anyone have a clue what it might have been?

I'm glad its not just me. I always swear that someone must have urinated in the corner of the cab right before we get on the monorail...

:)DH says that it smells to high heaven. He can't believe that anyone but us wants to stay on that savanna. Poo weeeeeeee. :thumbsup2

I actually asked this same question a year ago but for a different reason. I have asthma and was concerned about the African spice smells permeating the lobby from Jiko and Boma. No smells!! Now the bees were a different story.:sad2:

We have never experienced a problem at AKV - Jambo or Kidani. We took my brother and his family last October. My SIL was very worried about smells - and even went looking for them - and was amazed at how "un-e"scent"ful it was. We love that place!

We've stayed at AKV 4 times, 2 at Jambo and 2 at Kidani. We've experienced animal "smell" once. It was while we were walking from Jambo to Kidani on our trip 2 months ago. Both DH and I were shocked as we'd never experienced it before. Perhaps we were passing where they store the animal feces or the wind was just blowing the wrong way. As far as smelling it while you're in the resort, bus stop, pool, room, etc., that's never been a problem.

AKV has the best "smell" of all the DVC resorts we've stayed at second to the BCV's.

It's warm, smokey and has a subtle spice odor.

I wish I was there now!

Gosh, hope all those folks offended by the animal smells at a resort purpose built around live animals never need to be rescued by an S&R dog.

We aren't the only ones on the planet. Plenty of animal-free places to go. Personally, I'd take a whiff of distant giraffe over a crowded Disney bus in July any day of the week! :-)

My DW said that if our friend with the sensitive nose wants real offending odor
she should have to stay in a room with me!

OMG! I was just thinking the same. Just came back from Disney and I swear it smells like the gorilla house at the Central Park Zoo. WTH?!! Is there anything they can do about that. It is downright awful.

Gosh, hope all those folks offended by the animal smells at a resort purpose built around live animals never need to be rescued by an S&R dog.

We aren't the only ones on the planet. Plenty of animal-free places to go. Personally, I'd take a whiff of distant giraffe over a crowded Disney bus in July any day of the week! :-)
As one who noticed a very pervasive smell during a single visit out of several over the years, I must also say I wasn't offended nor put off by it; however, in full disclosure to the OP's question, I answered factually. I enjoy staying at and visiting AKV, and I'll stay there again, no doubt, doing so with full knowledge that my time there could be aromatically challenged.

We've stayed at AKV 4 times, 2 at Jambo and 2 at Kidani. We've experienced animal "smell" once. It was while we were walking from Jambo to Kidani on our trip 2 months ago. Both DH and I were shocked as we'd never experienced it before. Perhaps we were passing where they store the animal feces or the wind was just blowing the wrong way. As far as smelling it while you're in the resort, bus stop, pool, room, etc., that's never been a problem.

May not have been animal smell. Every once in a while Disney fertilizes the flower, bush and other green areas and uses a natural fertilizer for which you can get quite a smell for a day or two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter