AKV questions - check-in and lobby smell

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by TammyC, Dec 19, 2009.

1. TammyC

TammyC DIS Veteran

I might have the chance to change from AKL to AKV Kidani. I am wondering how the check in procedure works for the villas. I was told that you always check in at Jambo. Is DVC check in separate from hotel check in? Do they haul us and our luggage over to Kidani in a golf cart? I guess I have a bit of "fear of the unknown."

Also, does anyone know if the lobby area at Kidani has that same great smell as the AKL lobby?

Thanks,
    Tammy

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. MomsOf2boys

MomsOf2boys <font color= deeppink ><marquee>Has obsessive fing

Kidani has its own check in desk in the lobby. You just head over there and then you will be able to go and park near the area your room will be in. You can then take your stuff up that way yourself or you can drop it off with Bell services when you check in.

As far as the smell, I am not sure as we were there during the holiday season and I mostly just smelled the pine scent from the tree that was up.

4. floridascgirl

floridascgirl DIS Veteran

Funny you should ask about the aroma. We just returned from a stay at Jambo house and I could swear that special scent was gone. It was one of my favorite memories of AKL and I couldn't detect it. I could smell Boma, but not the unique lobby smell that I remembered from our past trip.:confused3 Maybe I was just sniffing too hard! :snooty:

5. MomsOf2boys

MomsOf2boys <font color= deeppink ><marquee>Has obsessive fing

Maybe the pine smell from the pine cones and pine garland effect it? :confused3

6. Goofy4

Goofy4 DIS Veteran

Lobby to lobby would be about a 10 minute walk. Not sure about the smells.

Just wanted to mention that Kidani lobby, while very nice, is not on the "grand lodge" scale as Jambo. Much smaller.

7. danceintherain

danceintherain DIS Veteran

I would be very sad if the smell from the AKL lobby is gone. It was one of my favorite things from staying there.

8. TammyC

TammyC DIS Veteran

Anybody have a recent report of the AKL lobby smell?

9. pmanko

pmanko Mouseketeer

We stayed at kidani village - but, we were up to the Jambo 3 times; i did not notice any smell in the lobby area.
    I would say the lobby is much bigger at the Jambo. But, more and more different animals on the Kidani viewing areas.
    the kidani villas are larger - one bedroom has 2 baths vs. 1 at jambo.
    kidani has a great large play pool/swim area for kids while jambo has a playground.
    no counter service at kidani
    decide what matters the most to you and go from there.
    I liked also that most busses pick up kidani first and drop you first on return ride "Home".:cheer2: