Akl?

Always seems to be a love/hate relationship for some with the AKL. We have stayed there several times and have never had the long bus waits that some have said. We like the place very much, but obviously not everyone gets that same warm fuzzy feeling. That is the great thing about the choice the Disney provides.

We did not hate the resort when we were there in Nov, we were just really disappointed! First off, the CMs were very clueless about everything!!! We had lots of trouble at check-in, liked to have never received bed rails- finally did the second night after 3-4 calls each night asking for them (they'll be up in 30 minutes:rolleyes: ), no one would help my brother's family with their luggage upon arrival- he asked 2 different bell hops, CM at check in gave us lots of wrong information about the savannahs and animals, etc. etc. etc.! The room was OK- but small for what I expected from a deluxe! The darkness did not bother me- seemed peaceful actually. We did not like the food in the food court- Mara, it all tasted 'weird'. I can't explain it, but we just stuck to pre-packaged stuff from there- nothing that had to be 'cooked'. The bus service was terrific the whole time we were there- and it was a busy time, Thanksgiving week. We never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus! It was a neat experience and I loved our savannah view- I just didn't feel it was worth rack rate- we got an upgrade due to POFQ closing. We spend too much time in the parks to pay regular price. I'm glad we didn't, I would have been mad as well as disappointed!

I just got back April 10 and won't go again. This though the lobby is beautiful, the savannah view breathtaking and the Boma buffet delicious. One, the drawer space was to small. Two regular size drawers? Not enough vanity space. The walk from the sunset savannah to the elevator gave me blisters. People were parking at the animal kingdom and taking the bus to the lodge to use the pool! So, no seats facing the pool for paying guests! I reported this on my return. This is also a problem with bus transportation. Everyone uses them tying them up for the resort guests. Hate to be stingy but something should be done about this too.:earsgirl: ::MinnieMo

I loved it. I stayed there in May 2002~ had the breakest buffet~ loved that juice. I had no probelms with front desk and no we didn't use the bus transportation~ used our rental.

It does sound like people either have had wonderful experiences, or have been very disappointed. We loved our stay in December so much, we are returning this year.

Because we stayed concierge, I didn't have indepth interaction with the front desk (asking for the hidden mickey clues was about the total of it), but the staff in concierge and the bellman who took us to our room (Joe) were wonderful!!

As for the bus wait, I will say that we waited typically 10-15 minutes for the specific bus we wanted (always seemed every other location came in that 10-15 minutes! ;) ). As for the return to AKL I was pleased with that - we never had an overload of guests. I think we all four always got to sit - even after Illuminations or Wishes.

The plus side of my AKL experience far-outweighed the minus side. I think part of the problem is we all build up our Disney vacation to be the perfect trip, and even small problems or inconveniences make us feel that we are not getting that perfection. If I'm staying onsite, I am not unhappy!

I just recently spent a couple of nights at AKL and loved it. Being able to sit out on the balcony and watch the animals is an amazing experience.

That being said, there are two issues that would keep me form staying at AKL for more then 2 - 3 nights.

1) Transportation - though I had no specific problems, it does not compare with staying at either the Epcot or Monorail Resorts.

2) Dining - I loved both Boma and Jiko. But, I prefer having the greater variety that comes with the Epcot and Monorail Resorts.

I believe these issues arise due to the tenedency to compare AKL with the other deluxe resorts.

AKL is definitely a great experience and I would highly recommend that someone stay there for a couple of nights. For extended stays though, I would recommend splitting the stay with another resort.

I just finished my third visit to AKL and loved every minute of it. My first visit was reg. savannah view, my second was a mix of reg savannah view and concierge, and my last was all concierge/deluxe savannah view. We never had any transportation problems barring how to get from putt putt golf to MGM, and everyone was in the same boat as the bus only went to EPCOT that late from Winter/Summerland. a 6.50 cent plus tip cab fare took care of that very quickly!

I do agree some rooms at AKL could use more drawer space. I'll just remember to request a room with the second dresser in it next time. My reg savannah view room during my January trip had that, while my deluxe savannah view didn't. I believe the extra dressers are scattered through many of the different room combinations.

Not everyone loves the same resorts, just as we all have different favorite foods. That is what makes us all unique! Enjoy planning your next trip!

Debbie

Love it so much in fact, my hubby & I were debating whether we would be happy staying anywhere else if money were no object.

We are going back there for our third stay in a row.
We love the smells, the atmosphere, the animals and the restaurants.
We've been lucky enough during our three stays to not run into any transportation issues.

We've always found the Cast extremely accomidating.

As for the location, while it does seem a bit far out, I think that might be what I like best about it. I find that with all the rush and hubbub we experience at the park, the pure serenity that we experience when we get back to the AKL after a loooonnnng day, is JUST the ticket!

For the record, we've stayed at OKW, ASMu, PO - Riverside. Probably the only other resort I would try would be the Poly. Other than that, it's AKL all the way for us.

I guess that's why it's so perfect that there are so many resorts to choose from. Something for everyone and every taste! :D

Only 6 more days till our next AKL stay!!!:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

It really does give me a better look at this resort. We'll be there in
a little over 2 months for a week and then moving over to the Dolphin for a week. I think it will be fun at both places and I think we'll find good and bad at both. Its a good thing that there are people that won't go back to AKL,more room for those who love it!!!

airhead(AKL......can't wait!!!!)
:thewave:

We stayed 1 night in Dec, after 3 nights at the GF. DH said, "Why didn't we stay here in the 1st place?!?" DDs *loved* it, so when we returned in January, we stayed there again, for 5 nights. This time, it was my Mom who was impressed, so much that she skipped the parks a few days, just to wander and relax at the resort.

DH (mr. tough-guy, construction worker) and I (penny-pincher) both feel that this resort has *added value* in the entertainment off your balcony is wonderful! We had a terrible time pulling ourselves and our DDs away to go do things (y'know...eat?) No one wanted to take their eyes off the giraffes right out the window. Now, we enjoy visiting the zoo frequently, too, so that may have something to do with it! At the other resorts we visited, there just wasn't anything to *look* at.

In Dec and Jan we never waited more than 15 min for a bus and our longest ride was from the MK to the AKL, which took 35 minutes, including the bus wait. One morning, I went to DTD alone, walked onto an empty bus and had (according to the driver), my own "stretch limo" for the ride over. I have looked and looked at other resorts and cannot bring myself to stay anywhere else, mostly b/c of the ease of transportation that we experienced! The monorail broke down twice on our Dec trip, which makes for a very inconvenient trip to the MK!

Again, it's all about taste...I can almost smell the aroma wafting through the doors now...can't wait to be back in Nov!!!

I have stayed at AKL and really liked it a lot - had a Savannah deluxe view room almost at the end of the arc (a long walk but I like walking). Stayed 3 days/2 nights - used Disney Bus transport - longest wait just under 20 minutes and found the buses fast and efficient once moving.

Loved the lobby, smells, found the restaurant level a little getting used to (going to the basement) but ok once I figured out crossing the bridge and down to the basement etc.

I see AKL and WL as eliciting the most extreme feedback on these boards - negative and positive - I suspect due to the slightly odd locations and the over the top themeing for some people

The other thing I/we do when travelling is when we go to the bus stop for the parks, we often just get on the first bus that comes along and then go with the flow

Last threads I read on transport board indicated Disney was shy about 190 bus drivers and was recruiting big time

thanks
jaysue

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter