• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Akl

Freezing Cold B

Mouseketeer
So, after long debates, set ideas, more long debates, more set ideas, and finally now... we have decided on a split stay between AKL and WL (which was our original plan almost a year ago). We have stayed at WL many times before, but this will be our first stay at AKL. The question I have is: Is Savannah view worth it? It is quite a bit more expensive than the standard view, and we only plan on two nights at AKL. Would it be smarter to just do standard view and go visit the Savannah? Or is it really that special that its a "must do" to pay for the view?

Personally I would pay for a standard room. There are lots of viewing areas from which to see the animals and depending on the time of year you may actually get an upgrade anyway.

I decided that is what I would do in the future when I stayed there last year - I booked a standard room and was upgraded - of course I was thankful for the upgrade but unless it was an extra special trip I probably would book the same again. The resort is so beautiful and extraordinary just being there is great enough for me.:goodvibes

I think it depends on whether or not you like to sit on your balcony for coffee or whatever. We have had some glimpses of animals from standard rooms, but some that were of construction equipment and service areas. I don't think anything compares to sitting there, privately ( as in your pj's), with breakfast and giraffes, personally. It's what sets the resort apart from the WL, imo. But- if you plan to just look outside for a few minutes when you return to your room, then no- there are plenty of areas to sit and see the animals in public areas.

I agree go with the standard room. Many of the standard rooms have a good view of the animals and there are many areas which you view the animals. I have stayed in the standard room each time I have been there and was very pleased.

It depends how much time you plan on spending in your room. When I went with my sister some time ago, we had a Savannah View. While it was really cool, we are park warrior types, so by the time we got back to our room each night, it was dark and we couldn't see the animals anyway!! So this time we're going with Standard View.

There are many viewing areas all over the resort and along the hallways, so I don't think you'd be missing anything. AKL is a stunning resort no matter what room you stay in, I really think you will love it! :)

We wouldn't stay without a Savannah view. That's the appeal for us. Coffee on balcony, animal watching. Room service,too.

That being said, there are several viewing spots around the hotel. You should have NO problem seeing animals.:-)

If you want AKL, and need to save money, I'd say do standard. I always hear that it's just as good, don't believe I've talked to anyone who's regretted it, even if they would have preferred a Savannah view.

We went with a pool view room. It's only slightly more expensive then the standard view and worth every penny!

Thanks for all the replies. I think we will go with the standard room. It just seems more economical, and we can use that $$$ for food and gifts. We do not tend to spend a lot of time in the room, and we don't really ever sit on our balcony.

Thanks for all the replies. I think we will go with the standard room. It just seems more economical, and we can use that $$$ for food and gifts. We do not tend to spend a lot of time in the room, and we don't really ever sit on our balcony.

It's really nice being able to go out on the balcony and see the animals. But if sounds like you won't use the balcony anyway, and there are LOTS of public terraces and balconies and outside viewing areas that you will be able to relax in and watch the animals, if you want to. For 2 days with little time spent in the room, I think getting a standard room and spending time wandering around the resort makes more sense. ;)

We booked a standard room last December and were upgraded to a savannah view. It was a great room and I loved seeing the animals but for the most part is was for a 1/2 hour in the am and then when it was dark. I don't think I would pay for the upgrade if we stay there in the future

So, after long debates, set ideas, more long debates, more set ideas, and finally now... we have decided on a split stay between AKL and WL (which was our original plan almost a year ago). We have stayed at WL many times before, but this will be our first stay at AKL. The question I have is: Is Savannah view worth it? It is quite a bit more expensive than the standard view, and we only plan on two nights at AKL. Would it be smarter to just do standard view and go visit the Savannah? Or is it really that special that its a "must do" to pay for the view?

We've never stayed standard view, but have stayed in both pool view and savanna view and while the savanna view was nice, we loved the pool view just as much. I would consider a pool view as it's only around $15 more a night. We had a pretty view of the main pool and our room was conveniently located to the lobby and the elevator to go down to the pool and Mara. With that said, I'm sure you'll have a great trip as AKL is a beautiful resort and is a great place to stay no matter what room type you have.

Personally I would pay for a standard room. There are lots of viewing areas from which to see the animals and depending on the time of year you may actually get an upgrade anyway.

I decided that is what I would do in the future when I stayed there last year - I booked a standard room and was upgraded - of course I was thankful for the upgrade but unless it was an extra special trip I probably would book the same again. The resort is so beautiful and extraordinary just being there is great enough for me.:goodvibes

Do you have to ask for an upgrade to a savannah view or was it just offered? Thanks!

bamaodom said:
Do you have to ask for an upgrade to a savannah view or was it just offered? Thanks!

I am pretty sure that if you ask for an upgrade for no good reason when staying on points you'll need to use additional points. Free upgrades are more likely if you pay cash.

Book the standard. We stayed in Feb and we were upgraded to a Savannah view, but at twice the cost, there is no way that I would pay for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter