AKL vs. WL

Mickey_loves_Minnie

DIS Veteran
I'm sure this question has been asked many many many many times before, but my husband and I (no kids yet) are thinking of staying at one of these resorts. Our favorite park is Epcot, and we're renting a car so distance to the parks doesn't really matter. We'll be there for a week next October -- maybe! -- and we really don't want to split our time between two resorts just so we can see both. I'm leaning toward AKL because of its restaurants, but WL being close to MK is good too.

So if you think one resort is better for a couple looking for a romantic visit to WDW, please pelt me with your opinions!

This is a tough choice! AKL and WL are both great for romance, but we favor the WL because of its location. Since you will have a car you can always pop over to AKL for dinner, to look around etc. We just love taking the boat to MK from the WL.

I don't think you would be disappointed with either choice.

AKL is a beautiful resort, but always seems too far away from everything for us. We love the restaurants at AKL, though, so we usually plan at least one meal there. We'll walk around the ground before and after, as well. It's a great resort to visit and eat.

But I would go for WL because of many reasons (the beauty of this resort is awesome) but mainly because of location.

We've stayed at the Dolphin, Swan, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Saratoga Springs and Wilderness Lodge. We'd pick WL as our first choice but love visiting other resorts.

AKL. It's my favorite resort at WDW, marred only by its somewhat out of the way location. If I was going without kids (and thereby planning to spend somewhat less time at MK than I otherwise might) and I had a car, the location factor is neutralized, so that I would definitely stay at AKL.

Both are great for romance. Our fav of the two is AKL. If you can get a great rate overlooking the savanah that is the best way to start off any day! Either will be magical, however! Enjoy...

...WL but never at AKL. We WILL be heading there this Feb, so I'll let ya know how the 2 compare.....:teeth:

DH and I stayed at AKL last spring break and I thought it was one of the most romantic trips we had ever taken. We don't have any kids yet either so being so far out wasn't a big deal at all. We had a couples massage in our room and ordered the Sunset Dining package from room service - both spectacular. Boma and Jiko are both wonderful. We just loved the exotic atmosphere. I had a hard time agreeing to the GF for my Christmas trip. I wanted to go back to AKL!

I think we'll do AKL. I really like the look of the resort and we both want to try the restaurants there. I think we'll do WL next time.

Thank you to all who posted.:wave2:

DH and I are also childless and have stayed at both. I'd have to vote strongly for WL.

AKL is a very nice resort & being able to see the animals from your balcony is a nice perk, but keep in mind that the animals spend a good deal of time hidden from the view of any particular balcony or observation deck. Unless you are really into spending a lot of time watching the animals (which I was), this resort doesn't have a ton to offer. Yes, the restaurants are great, but you can travel there for a meal no matter where you stay. Because the savannahs take up so much room, there is very little in the way of public grounds beyond the pool area & the viewing area (both of which are usually crowded), which is what we found to be the biggest drawback of the resort.

WL is such a quiet, relaxing, and peaceful place to stay. I don't think it draws a lot of families because the theming is of a more subtle variety so we found that even the pool area was a restful place at most times of the day. The grounds are lovely & it's great fun to go for an evening stroll, watch the geyser, rent a boat, take a boatride to MK, watch the water parade, etc. All in all, I think this resort has much more to offer to a couple (again, unless watching animals is your priority) and we agree it is our preference of the two - we found it to be very romantic whereas AKL didn't strike us as romantic in the least.

I guess it all really boils down to personal preference....but since you asked...
I was a die-hard WL (and still love it), but last year DGF (we have no kids) and I stayed at AKL, and I really enjoyed it. As it has been mentioned on this thread before, seeing the animals in a neat perk and my DGF loved it. We did not have the same experience as MartDM, and there was never a time in our room when we did not see animals. The resteraunts are great, Boma is a fun experience, especially for people with an adventerous palate. I like the fact that the resort has an "isolated from the rest of the world" feeling. Despite the fact that AKL is about one of the most remote resorts, My experience with the bus service was excellent, as opposed to my experience with WL busses, which at the time I was there seemed to be few and far between (We usually go in early December). The lobbies are very similar (probably because they were designed by the same person) and are both fun to explore.
I don't really think you could go wrong with either resort, but I think my vote would have to go with AKL.
Have fun!

Well we only stayed at CBR. That was a great hotel, but this trip we are staying at WL. We will be visiting AKL for breakfast at Bohmas. I would want to stay at AKL if we could get the savanah view. That has to be a great view. But something about the fireplace with the woods atmosphere with the Christmas decorations just does something for us.

Wilderness Lodge
I was there in September for a week and it was great. The lobby was amazing and everything about the resort was amazing.

I liked it better than AKL.

Good Luck

Originally posted by Mickey_loves_Minnie
I think we'll do AKL. I really like the look of the resort and we both want to try the restaurants there. I think we'll do WL next time.

Thank you to all who posted.:wave2:
You really can't go wrong with either choice. I'm sure it will be a wonderful stay!

Have fun!

Just be lucky you have a choice. Others don't get have one and some only dream of going. But you can't go wrong..

I've stayed at both resorts, AKL is my favorite, but for 2 adults that want a little romance I would probably go with WL! :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter