AKL vs. CBR

I am glad to hear that maybe the walking isn't as bad as I have been reading. :)

I checked for a preferred room at CBR and I guess they are sold out for my dates. So that hasn't helped my decision making process!!

I have also been looking into the dining plan options and this refillable mug thing is throwing me for a loop. It is so minor and I don't know why I am spending so much time on this, but the idea of taking a mug to breakfast (or something) and then having to go back to the room just to drop it off before going to the park is crazy!! I guess that probably answers my question on whether or not I should get the mug. :)

Thanks everyone for all your input. I love this board when planning my Disney trips!!

Oh...thanks for the pirate room pictures. Those look pretty cool. When I was visualizing them in my head I thought they would be a little out of control but they are very tasteful!

I just switched today from CBR to AKL.
CBR seems like a wonderful resort and we had booked the
New Pirate rooms but they were so far from the main
buildings that I decided to switch to AKL.
The differance between the room cost: $528.00 more for 8 nights
for AK than Pirate room at CBR. $66.00 more per night.

The Pirate rooms at CBR have a surcharge and it was not
much more to pay to stay in a standard room at AKL
so I switched. My DS didn't want to stay in a Nemo room
which have locations that are closer to main area.

Another reason why I switched is because I wanted more
choices in restautants--we like to eat a good sit down
breakfast at our resort on some mornings and CBR doesn't offer
that--Shutters is only open for dinner (maybe lunch? not sure
but no Breakfast). I had gotten spoiled with PORs Boatwright
with there TS breakfast which is very good.

I also don't want to walk 8-10 min. one way (from TS) to refill my
disney mug (sounds silly but it's important to me).
If CBR had all of what I wanted, I probably would
have stayed put.

We've always wanted to stay at AKL but thought we never
could afford it but this may be our last WDW visit for a
few years and thought we would really enjoy this trip.

You are going to love AKL. Its funny one of the main reasons we switched from the CBR was the cups as well. Just got tired of walking so far to get a
drink (and we always were in Martinque) and then need another one by the time I got back. :) Not to mention the food court at CBR (after our 4th time staying there) was getting to be like an elementary school cafeteria with all the noise

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks some these people are blowing way out of porportion the walk from rooms at CBR to food court compared to other resorts.

We've only stayed at one other resort besides the CBR but we've visited quite a few. Some of those rooms look just as far out to get to food court as the CBR.

And anyone who says it's a 15 to 20 minute walk from TS to food court must have walked over the bus bridge to the other side of the resort, then circled around to the Jamaica area and back over the foot bridge

And anyone who says it's a 15 to 20 minute walk from TS to food court must have walked over the bus bridge to the other side of the resort, then circled around to the Jamaica area and back over the foot bridge

:rotfl2: That's what I was thinking!

It really does get exaggerated on these boards.

Yeah, I have stayed in some far flung sections of various resorts. At CSR I was in Ranchos 7 B (I think it was, but for sure it was Ranchos). Not a problem. For me or my aunt who had fallen and hurt her hip and was using a cane. I stayed in Building 37 at POR. Again, not a problem. I stayed in Building 16 at CBR and I can tell you for sure that was not as far as the other two locations at the above mentioned resorts. But again, not a problem. But it does mystify me why you don't hear as much about size of POR or CSR because neither of those have preferred sections, both have distant sections that are further away and while they may not be as big as CBR, they are laid out in a manner where you can walk a bit at those two. I mean neither of those would be considered intimate, small resorts but you simply don't hear so many people worrying or ranting over the distance their room was from the food court. And I am sure somebody will post how many fewere steps it is from the furthest section of CSR or POR to the food court and how much less that is than CBR but I still say, it all feels about even to me. I often see the same posters who swear they walked miles each day at CBR to get anywhere. Which seems to imply they are either exaggerating or somehow kept taking a wrong turn.

I honestly think most people just have their favorites and and therefore that is the resort they prefer to recommend. I happen to think all four moderate resorts are nearly even and have even pros and cons. CBR is my favorite by a tad but that's a theming thing. I also love, love, love CSR and love POR/POFQ too. I mean they are all wonderful. But I do think you have to pick one that has theming that appeals. And if you are tall, those queen beds at CSR are awfully nice!

And I think you can tell a lot about whether you would like a resort by visiting it or eating there. If it doesn't feel right, don't stay there.

As for the mugs, thats a personal thing regardless of which resort you stay at. I don't always use them for breakfast, but I do enjoy having something by the pool. So I return from the parks, get my swimsuit on, grab my mug and head to the pool. Even if you get just one mug refill a day, on a 7 day trip, you have paid for it. And you get to the keep the mug. And at night, my husband or son will frequently go over to the food court, fill the mugs and then we put them in our frig and Oila!, they are still cold (ice isn't melted) the next morning. Which means we can enjoy some caffeine why we get ready. So think about your habits poolside and in the evening not just at breakfast. Even if we eat dinner at our resort, we almost always want to go to our room first, drop off our backpacks etc and then head to the food court. I use my mug for the occasional dinner and breakfast but mostly for the frequent pool break.

But at no resort will filling a mug be something that takes a minute or two unless you are in a room, right next to the main area. Which is no more likely at any resort unless you pay for preferred. Which is only offered at the values and CBR.

We've been to both, and we prefer CBR -- among all the other things people have posted, we just really like having a full food court to go to, instead of the TS restaurants and a snack bar.... for some that might seem silly, but it really is nice for us!:thumbsup2

I have to agree with those talking about how much it is said on here that Trinidad South is so far away and such a long walk at the CBR. Simply not true, maybe a 10 minute walk tops. Certainly not any further than the Ranchos room I was in at CSR was to their food court, but you never hear that mentioned. Very strange.

Either way, as I said before CBR and AKL are both great hotels. I would stay at both again. I would have to say that the CBR is a better bargain at $1000 cheaper though.

We've stayed at AK twice - once in a savanah view with 2 queens and once in a graden view with bunk beds. I would take the graden view with bunk beds - the kids not having to share a bed was huge! The food at AK is awesome: both Jiko and Boma are relly really good.

the biggest difference that we find between the deluxe and moderate rooms are the large, comfy lobbies that you can (and we actually do) sit and enjoy. I like the "loungy" feel of the lobby at AK and there is a really cool bar with a firepit that my family really enjoyed.

That being said, we're giving CBR a try this year. Strictly a money decision.

The difference between the walk at CBR and AKL is that CBR is OUTSIDE and AKL is inside. We stayed at Trinidad South and to get to the Food Court was a long walk. At AKL we were almost in the last building as far as one could get from the Mara, Jinko's, and Boma. The walk was much shorter in AKL and the weather is not an issue.

Waiting for the internal bus at CBR can be a PITA. Our bus stop required a walk away from the food court. With two people in the party having difficulty walking this was an issue. We would eat breakfast early at the Food Court and then go to the parks. The bus stop near the Food Court faces easterly and you could end up standing in the sun waiting for the bus. Just a nit but it was a pain each day.

If you like or can handle always eating Food Court/CS food then CBR is fine but we found the lines long anytime we went there even though there are plenty of "restaurants" in the food court. Mara is small but we never had to wait like we always did at CBR. Have not idea why this was the case but it was.

We liked CBR except for the food choices and the outdoor walk. Getting cleaned up from being in the parks and then needing a bath because of the walk to eat is not my idea of fun. Thankfully we only had a day or so of high humidity. The landscaping was very well done and nice to view. On the other hand AKL has animals which was a big draw for us since our kids and one in particular is very focused on animals. When they saw the Savanah from their room they were very excited. They spent ALOT of time on the balcony watching the animals. They never seemed to tire of it. The little girl in the room next to use was on the balcony all of the time as well. :lmao: There are alot of people just hanging out on the balconies at AKL.

Our youngest was 5 when we went to AKL and she loved it. AKL also has a fire side story telling time. The kids at AKL can also grab a drum/instrament walk around the lobby making noise in a parade. They loved that. There is also a place called Simba's club house the kids LOVE to go too. We just made plans for our next WDW visit and gave the kids a choice of going to a park our first night at AKL or going to Simba's. They choose Simbas. :confused3

Our kids like AKL better than CBR. And so do we because of the food. :thumbsup2

Later,
Dan

On the other hand AKL has animals which was a big draw for us since our kids and one in particular is very focused on animals. When they saw the Savanah from their room they were very excited. They spent ALOT of time on the balcony watching the animals. They never seemed to tire of it. The little girl in the room next to use was on the balcony all of the time as well. :lmao: There are alot of people just hanging out on the balconies at AKL.

Our youngest was 5 when we went to AKL and she loved it. AKL also has a fire side story telling time. The kids at AKL can also grab a drum/instrament walk around the lobby making noise in a parade. They loved that. There is also a place called Simba's club house the kids LOVE to go too. We just made plans for our next WDW visit and gave the kids a choice of going to a park our first night at AKL or going to Simba's. They choose Simbas. :confused3

Our kids like AKL better than CBR. And so do we because of the food. :thumbsup2

Later,
Dan

Glad to hear. We are doing a split stay in Dec. b/w AKL Savanna view and CBR. My son LOVES animals, and it's his b'day we're celebrating.

He watched the WDW DVD today and when he saw the AKL, he called me to see it and was so excited to see you can sleep by the animals.

But, it's a surprise! He knows we're going for his b'day (I could never keep that a secret!) but he'll find out when we arrive that he gets to sleep by the animals. pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter