AKL vs. CBR

heather6699

Earning My Ears
So with the buy 4 get 3 free the AKL ends up being a great price! I have always thought it would be cool to stay there in one of the savannah rooms. And if we go we will only go right and do a savannah room.

What I can't decide is between AKL and the CBR. Even though AKL is a great price with this promotion I still can't decide if it's work an extra $1000 for a week. I really like the look of the pools and beaches at CBR and I really like the idea of the savannah room at AKL. But is that room worth it when we don't spend all that much time in the room? And my DD is 5, will she appreciate that room?

I haven't been to either resort and actually haven't been to DisneyWorld since I was a kid (only DL).

Anyone have any input on whether the AKL is worth the extra money?

Thanks!!!

I don't think any resort is worth $1,000 more than any of the mods. That's a lot of meals, souvenirs, or maybe even you airline tickets.

We love CBR ~ Beautiful grounds, hammocks on the white sand beaches, quiet Caribbean music playing everywhere, a relaxing tropical feel, a beautiful bridge, island & lake, great & huge food court, friendly CM's, double sinks in the bathroom area with the most storage space underneath them of all the moderates and the LARGEST rooms of all the moderates! All the rooms have been or are currently being redone. CBR is centrally located to all the parks and does not share buses with any other resort. :goodvibes

All that PLUS the pool can't be beat – it's brand new, very large, zero entry, and has 2 slides! The new children's pool is pirate themed and has several slides and a tipping bucket. They also have a marina where you can rent water-craft and it is open year-round and they offer the Islands of the Caribbean Pirate Cruise for children 3 days a week. pirate:

The whole resort is like a vacation within a vacation, a “leave your worries at the door” kind of place!:cloud9:

Now with all that said, we have not stayed at AKL. And I am sure it is great as well! But $1000 better, I don't know. I know I can't justify that when the moderates have everything we need. If your DD loves animals and you can afford it then go for it! But at that age she is probably going to be happy anywhere! And CBR really does have a lot to offer families. Good luck deciding and have a great trip! :wizard:

Oh I wouldn't pay an extra $1,000 to stay at AKL... I actually prefer CBR... The pool at CBR is newly renovated, and I personally prefer the atmosphere of CBR to the atmosphere of AKL.... If I were you, I would choose CBR (or any other moderate EXCEPT CSR) over AKL. It's worth the savings.

That completely depends on your budget. If $1000 is no big deal, then it's worth it. If, like us, $1000 is a big chunk of another trip to WDW, save the cash and book a couple of dinners at Boma! ;-)

I just tried to post a lengthy reply that basically echoed everything that Momof2Disneyboys said and for some reason it didn't take. I'll mention a couple of the points that I made.
1. CBR is lovely and relaxing and for someone who lives in the northeast it's a pleasure to enjoy the tropical theme.

2. If you choose CBR you can always make some reservations for meals at AKL. We really enjoyed the dinner that we had at Boma and many posters have written positively about their breakfast. For our next trip we really want to try Jiko. While your there your daughter can go out to the back patio that has a savannah view. There are other animal viewing spots in the public areas of the hotel.

3. If you choose CBR you'll be $1000 closer to your next trip to the world. If you haven't been there in a while there will be so many wonderful things to see and experience. I think you'll want o go back soon. Good luck with your decision!

I agree with everything Silver Queen says. CBR is a wonderful resort and while it isn't deluxe, the room size at CBR vs. AKL is so close. Granted you don't have the balconies and queen beds though. Still, $1000 is A LOT of money, in these times in particular. You can't make a bad choice, unless of course that $1000 is an issue.

I haven't stayed at AKL, but I have stayed at the Poly. I chose that over CBR to the tune of about $200 a night. I am glad I did it (this was for two nights only). But I can't say I will do it again, because it wasn't worth that much more. And if I had been doing a week, and the savings had been as high as $1000 or more, I would have really been kicking myself.

I am not cheap, but I have found the moderates to be the perfect combo of a splurge and a budget.

So with the buy 4 get 3 free the AKL ends up being a great price! I have always thought it would be cool to stay there in one of the savannah rooms. And if we go we will only go right and do a savannah room.

What I can't decide is between AKL and the CBR. Even though AKL is a great price with this promotion I still can't decide if it's work an extra $1000 for a week. I really like the look of the pools and beaches at CBR and I really like the idea of the savannah room at AKL. But is that room worth it when we don't spend all that much time in the room? And my DD is 5, will she appreciate that room?

I haven't been to either resort and actually haven't been to DisneyWorld since I was a kid (only DL).

Anyone have any input on whether the AKL is worth the extra money?

Thanks!!!

We have stayed at both several times. They both have very different themes. We stayed at CBR several times before going to AKL. My reason for the change was I wanted more of a resort hotel feel as opposed to motel. Other reasons I like AKL is they do not share buses with another resort. Also everything you need is very close. Unlike the CBR if you may have a long walk to the food court. CBR doesn't share buses with another resort either but each bus makes about 7 stops. Also AKL has lots of things for your DD to do and the poolside bar is great. If you think the Savannah view room is to much you could just go with a pool view. There are plenty of places to view the animals. Also the pool is zero entry and very big and has a nice waterslide. I would say AKL is absolutely worth the extra money

We have stayed at both several times. They both have very different themes. We stayed at CBR several times before going to AKL. My reason for the change was I wanted more of a resort hotel feel as opposed to motel. Other reasons I like AKL is they do not share buses with another resort. Also everything you need is very close. Unlike the CBR if you may have a long walk to the food court. CBR doesn't share buses with another resort either but each bus makes about 7 stops. Also AKL has lots of things for your DD to do and the poolside bar is great. If you think the Savannah view room is to much you could just go with a pool view. There are plenty of places to view the animals. Also the pool is zero entry and very big and has a nice waterslide. I would say AKL is absolutely worth the extra money
I agree. I'm mainly a deluxe resort person. You can beat them IMO. I'd go with AKL over CBR any day.

UGH such a hard decision! I just have the feeling that the room at AKL will be lost on my DD for now. I think we will try AKL on our next visit and for now just check out the hotel and eat at the restaurants. But now I have something to look forward to in a few years!!!

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Although $1000 is a lot of money, I would stay at the AKL over the CBR. The AKL is the only resort that we haven't tried that we would like to stay at.

They are both great hotels. I would save the $1000 though and go with the CBR. It is beautiful and has a lot to offer families.

We love the CBR.

We are doing a split stay in Dec. between CBR and AKL.

Couldn't pass up trying it with 40% off, and my son absolutely loves animals so what a thrill for him.

I just switched today from CBR to AKL.
CBR seems like a wonderful resort and we had booked the
New Pirate rooms but they were so far from the main
buildings that I decided to switch to AKL.
The differance between the room cost: $528.00 more for 8 nights
for AK than Pirate room at CBR. $66.00 more per night.

The Pirate rooms at CBR have a surcharge and it was not
much more to pay to stay in a standard room at AKL
so I switched. My DS didn't want to stay in a Nemo room
which have locations that are closer to main area.

Another reason why I switched is because I wanted more
choices in restautants--we like to eat a good sit down
breakfast at our resort on some mornings and CBR doesn't offer
that--Shutters is only open for dinner (maybe lunch? not sure
but no Breakfast). I had gotten spoiled with PORs Boatwright
with there TS breakfast which is very good.

I also don't want to walk 8-10 min. one way (from TS) to refill my
disney mug (sounds silly but it's important to me).
If CBR had all of what I wanted, I probably would
have stayed put.

We've always wanted to stay at AKL but thought we never
could afford it but this may be our last WDW visit for a
few years and thought we would really enjoy this trip.

UGH such a hard decision! I just have the feeling that the room at AKL will be lost on my DD for now. I think we will try AKL on our next visit and for now just check out the hotel and eat at the restaurants. But now I have something to look forward to in a few years!!!

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Glad to be of help but you know you could even go for a standard view room thus saving even more money. Can you tell I love the AKL :)

And I honestly didn't even check the standard room rate. I have had it stuck in my head that if we went it would HAVE to be done right and we would HAVE to stay in the savannah room. But maybe I should check standard.

I keep telling myself that if this is my hardest decision today that it can't be all that bad!!! :woohoo:

And I honestly didn't even check the standard room rate. I have had it stuck in my head that if we went it would HAVE to be done right and we would HAVE to stay in the savannah room. But maybe I should check standard.

I keep telling myself that if this is my hardest decision today that it can't be all that bad!!! :woohoo:

That's such a great attitude, and very true.:goodvibes

Personally, I would go with a standard room at AKL. I've seen some lovely views from them and you can see the savannah from all over the resort. Good luck with whatever you choose!

:thumbsup2 pirate: pirate: :grouphug: :beach:
YO HO YO HO... A PIRATES LIFE FOR ME!!! pirate: pirate: pirate:
pirates2sk2.jpg

pirates1dp7.jpg

cbrpiratesqg1.jpg

38623592565119a8bafofj4.jpg

:drive: :offtopic:

Good Morning,
I have stayed at both resorts. And was at the AKL this past June for 5 nights. Let me start off saying that the walk everyone is scared of at CBR is a joke because some of the rooms at AKL are just as far from the bus stops. Also at ALK if you book a standard room and get there early they may upgrade you to savanah view that also over looks the construction. take it cause you still get to see all the animals just as close just with a little construction in the back ground. is it worth $1000 extra dollars not in my oppinion unless you are coming back to the resort around 10 or late afternoon to see the animals at the peak of the moving time.

CBR rooms versus AKL same size give or take very little.
AKL may have a few more shampoos or what ever
AKL and CBR can have the same walk even the long walks
Akl has an uphill walk from the busses
AKL does have better resturants
CBR pools much better for children

So the real question is will you be at the resort enough to enjoy $1000 more or are you going to spend all you times at the parks.

Just my thoughts

Good Morning,
I Let me start off saying that the walk everyone is scared of at CBR is a joke because some of the rooms at AKL are just as far from the bus stops.

I agree with you! I find this "CBR is so huge you'll walk til you drop" thing sort of an urban legend around here. I am an out of shape, 44 year old gal that generally circles the parking lot for 20 minutes looking for that close up spot! When we stayed at CBR we were in Barbados which if you look at a CBR map is about as far as the section the pirates rooms are in at CBR. I loved the walking, didn't mind it a bit, we had two quiet pools and a bus stop very nearby. The resort is lovely, the rooms are very nice sized, we take an airbed with us each trip for my son and CBR's room was large enough that we didn't even have to move a thing to get it in there. It had lots of storage.

As for the walks at each resort, I had heard about how wonderful it was to be at all in one building type set up. Then I stayed at Boardwalk and found the long walk down the hallways, through the lobby, out the door, up the walk to the bus stop was way more of a hassle than anything CBR or POR or CSR had delivered. Its WDW, you walk one way or the other.

So while CBR can't compete with AKL for many amenities like a sit down restaurant that serves three meals (I do wish Shutters would open for breakfast, that is a shame) and the hallways are exterior and its not on a savanahh, its also not a spread out nightmare that you can't get around.

To me these distances everybody talks about are like the drunk conventioners CSR supposedly has all over the place. Not the norm and blown out of proportion a bunch. Just my .02 From my room at CBR to the drink refill station was around five minutes. Since we only did that once or twice a day when we were typically going to the pool or food court anyway, it was no biggie. Then we took it back after breakfast, hopped on the bus that was right there and were on our way. At Boardwalk, I refilled my drink twice in a week. Really and truly the only time refilling a mug is like going to your frig at home is if you are staying in a preferred room at a value or CBR. Everywhere else, its a pain with some walking. The Poly was another resort where we walked a bunch since it had only one bus stop and were were far from it.

Again, I don't think you can make a bad choice, it just depends on how much money you are willing to spend. No right or wrong answer. AKL looks magnificient. And for me, I'd have to go with Savanahh. Its like staying at the Contemporary in a Garden Wing room. I just feel like if I am going for a resort with a world famous view from some rooms, I want to be in one of them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter