AKL vs AoA

Koh1977

DIS Veteran
Trip planned for August. 7 nights. DH, me, DS6 and DD2. Booked a pool view room at AKL right now. Saw that we could do a Nemo suite at AoA for about $200 more than what we're paying now. Pros/cons of either resort? Want some down time to relax and planning a resort/pool day. Is AoA a lot busier and louder do you think? The kids don't know we're going yet otherwise I'd get their opinions...

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Personally, I'd choose any deluxe over any value resort anytime. :thumbsup2

Same. Your kids are young enough that they won't care where you stay, so I would choose AKL. There's no way I would pay MORE for a Value over any of the Deluxes, especially if you're looking to spend quality resort time.

Personally, I'd choose any deluxe over any value resort anytime. :thumbsup2

Totally agree. And AKL is fantastic with the theming, the animals, being in one building and having a balcony. It also has a very nice, huge pool and two jacuzzis for those days you want to relax.

Agree with everyone else--AKL! Less money plus we think it is wonderful for a pool/resort day there. Enjoy!

I agree with the others and would do AKL probably in your situation. Only thing that would change my opinion would be if any of the following are a bigger priority for you: bigger room, kitchenette, separate beds for the kids, or two bathrooms. Those would be the pros for AoA over AKL. If any of those would be a big deal for you and your family then AoA might be the better choice. But the theme of the resort, activities to do, animals, pools, hot tubs, on site dining, etc are all things that would put AKL over AoA.

As a side note: I chose AoA over AKL for my September trip for the very reasons I mentioned (bigger room, 3 beds, 2 bathrooms, and a kitchenette) on a trip with 3 adults. So I'm not knocking AoA...only think in your situation that unless those things are more important than the amenities at AKL that AKL seems like the better choice for you.

I agree with the others and would do AKL probably in your situation. Only thing that would change my opinion would be if any of the following are a bigger priority for you: bigger room, kitchenette, separate beds for the kids, or two bathrooms. Those would be the pros for AoA over AKL. If any of those would be a big deal for you and your family then AoA might be the better choice. But the theme of the resort, activities to do, animals, pools, hot tubs, on site dining, etc are all things that would put AKL over AoA.

As a side note: I chose AoA over AKL for my September trip for the very reasons I mentioned (bigger room, 3 beds, 2 bathrooms, and a kitchenette) on a trip with 3 adults. So I'm not knocking AoA...only think in your situation that unless those things are more important than the amenities at AKL that AKL seems like the better choice for you.

My ds16 asked to stay at AKL for our Sept long weekend trip. For $53 more than what Disney wants for AKL, we can rent points from a DVC owner, have a 1BR condo @ AKV: full kitchen, w/d, king bed w/jacuzzi in MBath, & a 2nd bathroom for kids. The LR has a queen sofa pull out & a twin chair pull out. My kids don't mind the sofa beds as long as they don't have to share one.

For another $200 we can get Savanna view. :cool1:

There's really nothing a value can offer to make me want to stay there. I don't mean to sound snobby but quality vacations are high on my priority list.

A.K.L. without a doubt if you just want to chill that's the place to do it. My second most favorite resort behind the Poly.

AKL is wonderful for all the aforementioned reasons, but I do feel I need to defend AoA suites. Disney calls it a "value" but it is not of the same caliber as the other Values. It has interior corridors, not outside ones. It has upgraded furnishings and features in the room that are normally found in mod and deluxe room categories. The detailing of the animated architecture is much more detailed and fine as compared to their counterparts at other Values. It takes guests into the "minds" of Disney animators and is truly a unique lodging experience. Do not let the term "value" mislead you.

With your kids being 6 and 2, they will more than likely be happy with any resort and any pool and the AKL gives you as adults more atmosphere for the money.

Just returned from a 4 night stay at AoA. Although we liked it just fine, it doesn't compare to AKL. Almost nothing does, really. Definitely stay with AKL (imo).

You can't even compare those resorts. Deluxe's have so much more to do and are quieter, for the most part. If you're going to be spending a day relaxing, a Value is not the place to do it. AKL for sure.

Well, I'll be different and throw out the opposite opinion. The choice for separate sleeping arrangements would win out for me every time. Yes, AKL is a lovely resort. I've stated there a couple of times. That said, when vacationing with the kids, I prefer the ability to be able to do stuff when they go to bed. Whether I want to sit up and watch tv, read, or even - dare I say it - have a little grown-up time with my husband, I can do that with separate rooms. There is no single hotel room that can accomplish that for me.

Regardless, good luck choosing!

Well, I'll be different and throw out the opposite opinion. The choice for separate sleeping arrangements would win out for me every time. Yes, AKL is a lovely resort. I've stated there a couple of times. That said, when vacationing with the kids, I prefer the ability to be able to do stuff when they go to bed. Whether I want to sit up and watch tv, read, or even - dare I say it - have a little grown-up time with my husband, I can do that with separate rooms. There is no single hotel room that can accomplish that for me.

I agree; the AoA suites do have a lot to offer that deluxe resorts can't. In addition to having a separate bedroom, having two bathrooms would be real nice. I struggled with deciding between AoA suites and CR-GW for this very reason. I went with CR-GW because of proximity to the MK but it was a tough choice. With Aug RO discounts, the price was not that different between the two.

I agree 100%. That's why we rent DVC points. We do get our own bedroom, jacuzzi, kitchen, w/d, & 2 TVs. Plus they're all deluxe. It's a win-win for us.
There's nothing magical about cramming all 4 of us in 1 room with 1 bathroom. Even on a cruise where our teens can have some freedom to roam & it's only for sleep that we're all in the room at the same time, we still get 2 cabins now.

Bottom line is what you think your family is going to enjoy the most? Although I have never stayed at AOA, I have done Pop a few times. I did AKL, Kiddani Villas so I had the works & honestly it was a bore for my 3 children & myself, this place would have been great if it were just hubby & I but personally, I felt it lacked the bright cheerful, loud & crazy fun that I think of when we do disney altogether. If you want R&R than sure akl will work but if you want bright vivid color do aoa, check out the pics. AOA has done a fantastic job in bringing the movie theme to life. good luck!:thumbsup2

OP--your kids seem to be at a perfect age to appreciate AoA. Everyone regardless of age can appreciate animals in their backyard, but not everyone will appreciate larger-than-life Ariel characters or a Finding Nemo pool or Cars or Lion King themed areas...unless you're planning another trip within a couple years, now is the time to experience AoA if it's become a must-do for your family. If it hasn't, then AKL would be fantastic at any age!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter