AKL- Tell me the must do's

I was wondering a couple things -
1. How were the buses while you were there and how long did it take to get to MK? Was it standing room only.

2. Was the pool so crowded it was difficult to swim - and I mean swim not just dip in?

One more....

Did you feel so far out of the way that you didn't feel like you were staying in Disney?

Thanks

1. The buses were fine for the most part. Sometimes there were seats and occasionally there was standing room only. The bus stops at Kidani 1st but they generally come in 2's. There was 1 morning when we were heading to DHS and they had a problem. Some people waited quite a while but the guy who was working at the bus stop worked at getting a bus sent over and he gave everyone waiting a free fastpass voucher-thingy. He wrote the # of people in our party and it was good for any fastpass ride in DHS (except for Toy Story Mania). It was great! We were able to fastpass Toy Story when we got there and then get right in the fastpass line for Rock n' Rollercoaster. It saved us a 60 minute wait!

2. We never actually used the pool but every time we walked past it on the way to The Mara it never looked overly crowded.

3. I definitely didn't feel like I was outside the Disney magic! The furthest bus ride was Magic Kingdom and I'd say it was about 20 minutes. It didn't really feel super long. Also, AKL was the Disney resort I'd ALWAYS wanted to stay at so it was even more magical for me! To be honest, the only thing that broke the Disney magic a little bit were the few times we rode in our friends' rental car rather than taking the bus. When we do Disney we like to be fully immersed in it! :rotfl:

DisneyBelle - your photos are gorgeous. Great view from your room, too. :thumbsup2

Thanks Tink! And we really lucked out getting that view. Maybe we got upgraded because it was our 5 year anniversary? :confused3 But honestly it was probably something to do with capacity and trying to fill rooms.

Thank you for starting this thread!!! :worship::worship: We leave in 10 days for our first stay at AKL and I'm so excited!! I want to add an extra night just so we can do all the fun stuff people have posted! (Anyone wanna help me convince DH, I mean we DO have a 40% off PIN! :) )

Some questions....
*Do you get the activity list upon checking in even if you're not staying DVC or CL?
*Does the culinary tour cost anything?
*How many boxes of zebra domes do you think I'll be able to fit in the mini fridge in our room? :lmao::lmao:

In 2008 we were staying at the GF and had been at the AK for the day. We spent 45+ minutes taking the bus over to AKL and then taking the bus to DTD and then back to GF just so I could get some zebra domes :rotfl:

Thank you for starting this thread!!! :worship::worship: We leave in 10 days for our first stay at AKL and I'm so excited!! I want to add an extra night just so we can do all the fun stuff people have posted! (Anyone wanna help me convince DH, I mean we DO have a 40% off PIN! :) )

Some questions....
*Do you get the activity list upon checking in even if you're not staying DVC or CL?
*Does the culinary tour cost anything?
*How many boxes of zebra domes do you think I'll be able to fit in the mini fridge in our room? :lmao::lmao:

In 2008 we were staying at the GF and had been at the AK for the day. We spent 45+ minutes taking the bus over to AKL and then taking the bus to DTD and then back to GF just so I could get some zebra domes :rotfl:

Um, definitely add another night! :rotfl: I wish I could have, we didn't get to do a few of the things that we really wanted to do there!

*We were not DVC or CL and we received the activity list when we checked in. It is also posted in the lobby.
*The culinary tour is free. Let me know how it is if you do it, it's 1 of the things we didn't have time for!
*At least 5 or 6! :lmao:

Um, definitely add another night! :rotfl: I wish I could have, we didn't get to do a few of the things that we really wanted to do there!

*We were not DVC or CL and we received the activity list when we checked in. It is also posted in the lobby.
*The culinary tour is free. Let me know how it is if you do it, it's 1 of the things we didn't have time for!
*At least 5 or 6! :lmao:

Thanks :thumbsup2 Money is a little tight right now due to the extreme heat and DH not working as much (he works on a golf course.) I look at it as ONLY $180 to get to stay another night and enjoy ourselves. He looks at it as bills that could be paid. :sad2: I guess that's why we got married, he can pull my head back to reality sometimes, and I can remind him to dream and live life ;)

Oh, and just so you know, you need to finish your TR before we leave so I can read it all and be excited while I'm waiting to go :lmao:

Thanks :thumbsup2 Money is a little tight right now due to the extreme heat and DH not working as much (he works on a golf course.) I look at it as ONLY $180 to get to stay another night and enjoy ourselves. He looks at it as bills that could be paid. :sad2: I guess that's why we got married, he can pull my head back to reality sometimes, and I can remind him to dream and live life ;)

Oh, and just so you know, you need to finish your TR before we leave so I can read it all and be excited while I'm waiting to go :lmao:

I think the best couples balance each other out. I know my DH and I definitely balance each other out! I'm always hot, he's always cold, he's neurotic, I'm laid back...:rotfl:

And, gee, thanks, no pressure or anything for my TR! :lmao:

I am so glad everyone is enjoying and getting some use out of this thread. We had such a great time we have booked two more DVC-AKL Kidani visits. I have to say this resort by far exceded all of my expectations.

GoofyTraci

We just booked a value 1BR villa for Jambo house. My dh really likes staying at SSR b/c of all of the activities. Have you stayed there and if so, how does AKL compare to the activities at SSR? We aren't doing parks, just relaxing for a few days at the resort so we want a lot of fun stuff to do for the kids.

Also, anyone ever book a value and get a view of the savannah? Guest services said some of the value have a view of the savannah and to try to check in early for a better chance of getting the view. Value was all that was left for booking so any advice on how to get savannah view is greatly appreciated.
I have stayed at both SSR and AKV, and I think that AKV has more to keep one busy than SSR. You can literally not leave the hotel and still have more than enough to keep you busy. My DD6 LOVES this resort now and begged me to stay here again this year so we are doing a split stay 1 week at OKW and 1 week AKV. Even if there are only values left, I want to say that I read somewhere that the like 80% of the values have savannah views:confused3 I could be wrong, but I think that is about right, you are just getting a smaller room and no guarantee that you will get a view.

I'm assuming the pirate in your signature is your son? If so, do all the kids activities you can. DD would have been just as happy earning all her beads doing activities as she was in the parks. The sonar "Search for Donald" was her favorite, because it allowed her to use the sonar equipment :) She also loved the flamingo feeding and medallion rubbing.

they will give you a "scheule" at check in that tells when these activites at the resort will be held...we are planning some time for the kids to do these things on our next visit...they really enjoyed the few thins we did on out last trip there...you will love this resort!!! The only down side it itaht it can take 20 or 30 mins to get to the parks from the resort but it is still worth it to me---have fun!

I am so glad everyone is enjoying and getting some use out of this thread. We had such a great time we have booked two more DVC-AKL Kidani visits. I have to say this resort by far exceded all of my expectations.

Yay 2 more trips.....good for you.:cool1:

I have stayed at both SSR and AKV, and I think that AKV has more to keep one busy than SSR. You can literally not leave the hotel and still have more than enough to keep you busy. My DD6 LOVES this resort now and begged me to stay here again this year so we are doing a split stay 1 week at OKW and 1 week AKV. Even if there are only values left, I want to say that I read somewhere that the like 80% of the values have savannah views:confused3 I could be wrong, but I think that is about right, you are just getting a smaller room and no guarantee that you will get a view.

There are a total of 10 Value rooms - 4 are savanna, 4 are pool, and 2 are parking lot.
The value 1 bedroom we had last month had a terrific savanna view! :thumbsup2 We requested savanna view when we made the reservation, then I asked at check-in if they had any savanna view available. We happened to be moving from a regular room to the villa, so we went down to the desk at like 7 AM to get it all squared away. I was shocked that the villa was actually ready! The cast member said we could go look at the view and if it wasn't OK we could wait and see if a better one came up later in the day. But since there are only 4 it's not like being a couple of rooms down the hall would have made a difference in the view. :confused3 Besides, the view was fine.

I will say we only saw animals in the late afternoon, and sometimes after dark. In the morning it was deserted out there!

DD(4) did the face painting in Mara two days...Also the cookie decorating in Boma.

What kind of face painting do they do at Mara? Do you remember how much it costs? Can you tell me anymore about making cookies at BOMA? Sounds fun--- :goodvibes

Has anyone here done the cookie making at Boma? I'm wondering if any adults go, particularly adults without a child there? I'll be at AKL in October and I'd love to go, love the idea of cookie decorating. However, I'll be solo, so for once, I've found something at WDW that I'm hesitant to do solo, thinking it might seem kinda "wierd" to be there solo. If I need a child, I am grandmother-age, so maybe I can stand real close to someone's child and be a pretend-grandmother while we bake cookies. I just hope no one thinks there's a pervert there and calls for Disney security!

Thanks OP for this thread. Leaving on Sunday for our first stay at AKL. Lots of great insider info here.

My boys are 7 & 9 and they love sitting by the campfire rings at night. They also like the infrared/nightvision goggles you can view the animals with for the lookouts. We are easily amused:goodvibes

Thanks OP for this thread. Leaving on Sunday for our first stay at AKL. Lots of great insider info here.

thanks...glad it was good use for you. I hope you have a great time. I know you will bc AKL did not disappoint us in any way.

We stayed there in 2006 and going back at end of the month. Two things I learned from reading these posts that I haven't done-bead making necklaces and hidden mickey sheets. I got that written down on my to do list. Thanks for the info.

Now, that's what I call dedication to the domes! :laughing: Hope you enjoyed your stay at AKL.

Ok, I've started a trip report so if anyone is interested feel free to join me at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2504604 for Practicing to be Parents - 6 nights at AKL w/friends and their kid:TR w/pics!

I'm off to read it now! :thumbsup2

Wow - 2 more AKV trips planned - you lucky lady! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter