AKL Standard View

2013Frozen

Mouseketeer
Hi, never have stayed at a deluxe resort before and would like to consider AKL. Based on cost, I think we could only do a standard view. Would we be disappointed, or do the other offerings make up for a parking lot view?

Also, about how long of a bus ride to MK, HS, and Epoct?

Thank you!!

the bus to the MK is long - at least 20 minutes lots of time longer - if you get the little old lady - who drives me mad - she does not go faster than 30 mph no matter what.

HS and epcot are not bad.

standard view does look out on the parking lot - that say you get big windows all over the place - and you can easily see the animals - just not off your balcony.

plus with standard view you are more likely to be upgraded - now it does not happen all the time - more than likely if you get a standard view once you arrive you will get an upgrade to either pool view or savannah view. it helps to arrive early if you want the upgrade.

We had a standard view when we went to AKL, unfortunately it was directly over the area they unload the luggage from the airport. Hearing the beep beep from the truck backing up at 4:00 am was crazy, by the 2nd night my wife marched down to the front desk in her PJ's and demanded a room change. We were upgraded to a savannah view (with a small upcharge) the next day !! My boys loved it.

I recently had a standard view room and I requested Kudu trail. We had a great view! We overlooked the area where the animals are housed during the night so we had great animal views both morning and evening. And if there was a storm, they headed that direction too. It was a fabulous room.

When I was faced with this predicament, I booked a Pool View. At the time, it was only $10 more a night, and kept us away from the parking lot. It also kept us close to the pool and the restaurants.

I didn't mind any of the bus rides. Granted, this was 6 years ago, and my first stay on property, so I had nothing to compare it to. I haven't found bus service to be much different anywhere else we've stayed (all moderate...even POFQ). We always seem to have one "bad" park for buses. For whatever reason, every time we tried to go to or return from that park during that trip, the buses seemed to take forever. I think it was DHS at AKL, but I don't exactly remember.

Thank you. I know for all requests they are not guaranteed, but I appreciate all the input!

We too have waited a long time for busses from the parks to value and moderate. Totally get the waiting piece, just wasn't sure how to judge the time to the parks.

Thank you again!

IMO the tradeoff with longer bus rides is that you are at least always guaranteed a spot on the bus. Having stayed at moderates and value resorts before, nothing bummed me out quite like needing to wait for another bus and still being jammed in like sardines.

And like others said, there are ample times at the resort to see the animals, standard view isn't the worst thing to happen unless you get a very noisy room. We have always been accommodated when we point out that the room is unreasonably loud for us.

I also recommend Pool View which isnt that much more. We love everything about AKL.

I recently had a standard view room and I requested Kudu trail. We had a great view! We overlooked the area where the animals are housed during the night so we had great animal views both morning and evening. And if there was a storm, they headed that direction too. It was a fabulous room.

We had a standard room last July and requested Kudu trail also. We had the same view. It was great. There were plenty of giraffes, zebras and other animals all day with decent views from our balcony.

10557282_10152406122973101_4604401104011595438_n.jpg

We did standard view at AKL once and it was kind of a bummer. The resort is special because of the animals, and if you can't see those, then why not stay somewhere else? There are public viewing areas but it's hard to find a place to actually sit (not stand) in order to just relax and watch them.

It may be just me, but I don't think I would stay there again without savanna view. I would choose WL instead, which has similar theming but is closer to most of the parks.

Depending on how long you are staying, you may want to consider doing a split stay there (or at another resort) e.g. two nights in a Savanna View room and the rest of the nights in a Standard View room or at another resort altogether. We do split stays all the time and love them and Disney makes it so easy to do. This way you get to experience the Savanna View (which my kids love!) but still stay within your budget.

There are plenty of standard view rooms with Savannahs views- we had SIX rooms on Kudu trail and they all had savannah views. They were NOT free upgrades for us either. I did a lot of research before our trip last February, there were many sites, and even the AKL thread here on the Dis, that indicated std view rooms were only parking lot view or other non-savannah. I don't know if Disney had made changes over the year before our trip because then I started seeing other info and even maps or room finders-see the Touringplans website -that showed std view rooms with Savannah views in different areas. It really made the difference, in my own opinion, having a view of the animals. They were not out all the time but it was fun to watch them and sip coffee from my balcony window.

The view from your room is only a tiny bit of what this resort is all about....To me I don't think the upgrade to Savannah view is worth it....I did it this past Nov. with DVC points, but personally would stay longer in a standard/value over a savannah view.

there's so much to do & see here at the resort...It's one of those destinations, where when you come back from your parks, it's like separating it into 2 different trips... Sort of a vacation within a vacation

We did standard view at AKL once and it was kind of a bummer. The resort is special because of the animals, and if you can't see those, then why not stay somewhere else? There are public viewing areas but it's hard to find a place to actually sit (not stand) in order to just relax and watch them.

It may be just me, but I don't think I would stay there again without savanna view. I would choose WL instead, which has similar theming but is closer to most of the parks.

We stayed "standard" at AKL in 2013 and are about to be there in "standard" again. I have the exact opposite opinion. For my family, the savings of a standard vs. savannah view is a big bonus. We found several public viewing areas around the resorts with rocking chairs at each one where you could sit and view the animals. (9 times out of 10, we were alone in these areas) Lots of exterior stairwells at the ends of halls offered quiet, private viewing (no chairs of course). Not to mention the main public viewing areas. We requested anything but a parking lot view last time and received a room that had a partial view of the Uzima Savanna. Our room overlooked one of the hot tubs and had fantastic access to the pool via the exterior stairwell directly outside our room door. In over 50+ trips to WDW our 2013 trip was one of the best because of the AKL. I believe you are more likely than not to get some form of a savanna view if you ask for anything other than a parking lot view. I honestly dont know that I would ever book a savanna room at AKL unless someone else wants to pay... LOL!!

With all of that being said the above poster is correct that the WL is also amazing (both AKL & WL lobbies designed by the same architect) and it is nice to be close to parks. :thumbsup2

Our last trip was kidani standard. We had a nice view of the pool area. We enjoyed it. It was our first non-savanna view. We enjoyed it and it was quiet.

Actually, it doesn't matter if you have a standard view. You can walk almost any where on the ground floor and see animals everywhere! they have very large windows and you can also walk outside to see the critters! I have always rented a car so transportation was never a problem but the bus DOES take a while to get you back and forth! we took it the first time we stayed there and have never taken it again! lol Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter