AKL Standard To Savannah Upgrade???

Kapp

<font color=CC33CC>Tag patience is a virture I am
Anyone have an idea of how easy (or how often its done) to get an upgrade from a standard view room to a savannah view? Is this a common upgrade? We are going the week before Thanksgiving this year.

We stayed at the AKL 2 years ago with a savannah view and don't know if we can live without one! (And, we can't afford the view this trip.)

Any and all advice GREATLY appreciated!

Kapp

Although I have read of a few standard to savannah upgrades I read far more standard to pool view upgrades. We in fact were given a pool upgrade from standard, which we loved by the way and the animal lookout was just across the hall. It also depends on how booked they already are so be prepared to stay in a standard view room and pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to whatever and if you can't live without the savannah you may want to change your reservation.

Standard to savannah definitely seems pretty rare. Standard to pool seems pretty common. Is there anyway you could swing booking pool? that would give you a decent shot (no guarantees of course) of the savannah upgrade.

Anne

I just returned from the Akl and was upgraded to the savannah view when I had booked a standard room. I did not request an upgrade although I did fax beforehand (about something else) and asked for the best view possible with a balcony. I was hoping to get a view of some bushes or something as opposed to the parking lot - LOL. I couldn't tell how busy the resort was but it seemed fairly busy. We got an upgrade to a room on the inside of the large savannah which seemed the nicest to me although I did notice that lots of animals were hanging out in the smaller savannah areas that had the chain link fences...maybe even more animals than out in the bigger area. Frankly I would have been happy with the standard view and consider it worth it. A pool view would have been great too but savannah view is the best...no doubt about that. I wonder if I was upgraded because it was my first visit to the AKL? I would book a standard room again there and be happy with it actually. I thought the resort was awesome and I like getting outside the room and walking around so having the animals right outside wouldn't have been the end of the world.

We stayed at the AKL just a couple of weeks ago and were upgraded from standard to savannah. Didn't have to ask for it, no idea why they offered it, the resort seemed pretty full to me. Plenty of people were in the standard rooms too (we saw them going in to their rooms, lights on at night etc).

We thought the upgrade might have come as we stayed there last year too (savannah view, paid for it that time), but I honestly have no idea. I think we just got lucky, to be honest.

W

I've often wondered if Disney books a number of standard rooms limited only by the number of rooms available and sets limits on the other views.

I've noticed when I go to the wdw site to check availability, they always have standard view rooms, and yet may not have other (preferred) views available. Maybe they book more standards and less of the others views than supply and that way they can offer a little magic to those booking standard.

We were there 2 weeks ago and were upgraded from POFQ to AKL savannah view to a 2 BR suite savannah view. It does happen, I just think you need to be lucky and check it at the right time of the right day!

By the way, the 2 BR suite was the furthest you could be from the pool and the food, but oh, so worth it!

We stayed at AKL in October. Booked a standard room and were upgraded to a Savannah View. Didn't ask for it, they just offered it - how could I stay no?? :smooth:

We stayed at AKL this past May with standard views. We actually watched some guests in the next line get a free upgrade {they were jumping up and down and screaming. LoL} When our turn came they didn't offer any upgrade to us but we loved the standard view rooms we got. They were very quiet and the view was mostly trees and bushes. So it shouldn't be too bad if you don't get the upgrade you are hoping for. Good luck though and have a wonderful time.

We also booked a standard view room, when we got there we were told we were given a complimentary upgrade to savannah. I actually felt a little guilty because my brother and his family were there and booked a savannah and we actually had a better view with our free upgrade. Oh well!!

We checked in on August 5 and were upgraded to Savannah. I don't remember which one it was, but it was very close to the lobby. At check in, all I did was ask if it was possible to get a pool view and we were offered the Savannah view.

We were there 8/17-18 and had booked standard and were given savannah. I didn't ask for an upgrade. I had mentioned it was our 30th anniversary but the check in CM didn't verbally acknowledge that but just gave us the upgrade. Last year, same day, we booked standard, didn't ask for anything, and got pool view. In October 02 we booked standard and got standard. This past June we booked standard at WL, asked for nothing, mentioned no occassion, and got court yard view. Maybe it's pertinent that we always check in between 9 and 11 am. That's the only thing I can think of that these have had in common. Also they were all maximum discount ( either AP or Fl resident).

Last May we were upgraded from a standard to savanna view. We didn't ask for it, and the CM never told us we were being upgraded either. I knew when she was showing us on a map where our room was that we were getting a savanna view. It was wonderful, but I would still have been happy with the standard view.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter