• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKL Standard Room or POFQ

POFQ or Parking lot view AKL

• POFQ

• AKL Parking lot view

Results are only viewable after voting.

tlynk

DIS Veteran
I found an affordable price for the AKL (standard room only), but we currently have POFQ booked for almost the same price. Would we be better off staying at the POFQ, or should we go for the AKL standard parking lot view?? Has anyone stayed at both and if so what would you choose and why?? Thank you :-).

Everyone should stay at AKL at least once. That being said, they are both good choices. There are many viewing areas as you walk down the hallways, at the pool and throughout the lodge so you will get to see the animals. We like PORFQ too though.

Pick AKL! Depending on your time of year, you might be upgraded to at least a pool view. Also, AKL has its own bus service and better restaurant choices. It is a beautiful resort even without a savannah view.

POFQ is nice, but I'd take AKL std parking lot in a heartbeat! Check out the JAmbo, AKL...thread.

Having stayed at both Animal Kingdom Lodge and Port Orleans (Riverside though) I voted for POFQ. I think it would be nice to visit the lodge and maybe eat at Boma, but for a vacation I prefer the atmosphere at Port Orleans. I would say check out pictures on allearsnet of both resorts and then decide which one looks better to you. If they are about the same price it is really just a personal preference. We had terrible bus service at AKL, enough to keep me away while bus service at Port Orleans was amazing.

Absolutely, positively stay at AKL!! It is my favorite. You will love it. It's so unique, it's got beautiful details and really good activities, a nice bar, one of Disney's BEST restaurants (Jiko), a gorgeous pool, a very nice fitness center with spa treatments available, 2 nice hot tubs, it's a DELUXE resort vs. Moderate...giraffes outside!! Need I say more?? ;)
GO FOR IT!! :wizard:

AKL for sure! It is such an amazing resort. Even if you only have a standard view room at AKL, the view at POFQ won't be much better and you won't have a balcony at POFQ anyway.

I've stayed at both. While I like AKL better, I wouldn't spend the money to stay in a parking lot view there. The Savannah is what makes it for us.

For the money, I'd stay at POFQ - Better yet, I'd see if I could get one of the special rates at Swan/Dolphin.

If you are going to spend time at the resort, then AKL would be my pick. There are very comfortable viewing areas around the resort. If you are going to spend daylight hours in the park and only return in the evening, then its a toss up. AKL has evening storytelling.

AKL swimming pool is very, very nice. Boma desserts are excellent.

What are the odds that you will stay at AKL in the future? If slim, do it now.

We havent stayed at PO but have stayed at AKL with Sav. view AND once with Standard view (parking lot). I would recommend to everyone to stay at AKL once with a Sav. view, but after doing that, the standard view is great....b/c there are plenty of places to still the animals throughout the lodge. If you can get standard view cheap definitely do that. We will be doing that again for sure b/c we just love the theming and atmosphere of AKL.

teentoddlermom said:
When are you going and what was the rate for AKL?
I got AAA rates for first week in December. $111.00 POFQ & $175.00 AKL Standard View.

We have stayed at both, no doubt about it go with AKL.....
AKL is a deluxe, POFQ is a moderate. That should be reason enough but....
I would rather have a balcony which faces the parking lot than no balcony at all.
Queen size beds compared to full.
Bus service 100 times better at AKL.
No TS restaurants at POFQ, two of the best restaurants, Jiko and Boma, at AKL.

I have stayed at POR (not POFQ) and at AKL. I would choose AKL standard view. The resort has so much ambiance and a really elaborate theme. Plus, Boma is wonderful (especially at breakfast—it’s one of our favorites). The rooms are larger and have queen beds instead of doubles, and the vanity area doesn’t face the beds (which is good when some people are still sleeping). Plus, there are plenty of public viewing areas throughout the resort where you can see the animals. I don’t have kids, but it’s my understanding that AKL also offers several neat things for kids to do during the day.

Thank you everyone! I transferred my ressie to the AKL- maybe I'll get lucky and get a free upgrade (I'm not counting on it though) :teeth:. Thank again! :)

You will love AKL the week after Thanksgiving! The Christmas decorations are beautiful. I could never have imagined Christmas decorations with an African/animal theme. AKL really pulls this off!

plutospup said:
You will love AKL the week after Thanksgiving! The Christmas decorations are beautiful. I could never have imagined Christmas decorations with an African/animal theme. AKL really pulls this off!

I forgot how beautiful Disney World is during Christmas time! I was so excited that we got to reschedule our trip that I was caught up in getting to go in 2006 afterall. Now I have something else to look forward to! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter