AKL room on eBay - seller has now disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.
how do you know unless you have a relationship?

also the facts posted are very suggestive behind the scenes.
& problems thereof.

if a bunch of renters lose their monies, this is "where to go", next
for action. that & organizing all those losing monies to pull
together.

[so the more renters posted here, might want to keep in touch-
just in case.]

if this person is aware that if he doing something wrong, is he
going to give accurate feedback? are others posting here
have more info. that could help-either way?

covering up the observations & ignoring them will not change their
meanings or their implications. anyone can process this "way of
thinking", by adding up the posts. [ connect the dots ].

i think it easy to look the other way if nothing is coming out of your
pockets. knowing how much a disney vacation can mean [ time,
money, & efforts] hopefully all those paying $ for rooms will
be honored. & those attempting to reassure are "sincere"
enough- post facts so those "hoping", are not disappointed when
they try to check in.

maybe he could post here & clear up everyone concerns? [ based
on the observation, that someone already posting here- have a
personal connection.]

ps, though we are owners, this situation has raised concerns about
dvc promises. therefore, i am going to follow a mod's suggestion
& print off all of this [ even removed sections] and review with
our member-services supervisor. [ nothing else, as an "education
tool" on how our dvc is operating so we can be better prepare
for problem solving, if ever needed.]

i am impress with some of the information posted on here & i feel
"good -to-know."

Was reading through the thread, hope this works out ok for everyone...off topic...

dansyr2514....did you get your puppy from a GSP breeder in PA? Looks so much like our boy we got not far (i think) from you....

This whole scenario is so perplexing, and I think it IS a good thing that ressies were still intact yesterday, but it might be too early for non-paid fees to trigger a cancellation. I would wait at least until Monday or Tuesday to check again "just in case".

Grumpy, I seriously think you have trust issues. There is absolutely NOTHING in any of this that says your suspicions are correct.

This whole scenario is so perplexing, and I think it IS a good thing that ressies were still intact yesterday, but it might be too early for non-paid fees to trigger a cancellation. I would wait at least until Monday or Tuesday to check again "just in case.".

I've checked the reservations (mine and my parents) daily. I will continue to do so. There have been a number of reports that others were successful in checking in without problem. It seems as if people who had confirmation numbers in hand have not had problems (other than adding on the DDP). Some people never got reservations or confirmation numbers. There has been some discussion about the DVC member disappearing. I hope he is okay.

ps, though we are owners, this situation has raised concerns about
dvc promises. therefore, i am going to follow a mod's suggestion
& print off all of this [ even removed sections] and review with
our member-services supervisor. [ nothing else, as an "education
tool" on how our dvc is operating so we can be better prepare
for problem solving, if ever needed.]

i am impress with some of the information posted on here & i feel
"good -to-know."

What purpose would there be in reviewing this thread with MS? This was simply a private transaction between individuals that, sadly, appears to have gone awry. Disney is not going to get involved in the matter, any more than Apple would get involved if someone won an eBay auction for an iPad, sent money to the seller and never received the iPad.

Even if the owner's account has been suspended because of non-payment of dues, or because they've violated the rules regarding commercial renting, that's the risk that people take when they rent from a stranger. It's unfortunate, and I feel terrible for anyone who may lose money, but again, MS is not involved.

Lil Grumpy if you are commenting in answer to something I said, would you please use the Quote option. Your format is very confusing.

No one on this thead has been able to get in contact with the member so why in the world would you think he is going to post here.

I don't know the person, but I do know the DVC management team and this person Does Not Work for DVC.

Lil Grumpy if you are commenting in answer to something I said, would you please use the Quote option. Your format is very confusing.

No one on this thead has been able to get in contact with the member so why in the world would you think he is going to post here.
I don't know the person, but I do know the DVC management team and this person Does Not Work for DVC.

::yes::

Add to that that the transaction was not through the DIS Rent/Trade board, and we don't even know if this person is/was a registered member here.

I see no reason to even think that the owner knows that this thread, or even the DIS exists.

And the owner, as far as DVC is concerned, acted approriately in making the reservations. The only concern DVC would have is whether or not the dues are current. If not, the reservations will be terminated, the fate of the renter, legally, is not of a concern to DVC.

I sincerely hope all goes well for the renters and their reservations, but it is a risk they assumed when renting the reservation.

Was reading through the thread, hope this works out ok for everyone...off topic...

dansyr2514....did you get your puppy from a GSP breeder in PA? Looks so much like our boy we got not far (i think) from you....

We did. We got her at a farm outside of Lancaster. I think it was Hammertown kennels. There are quite a few good breeders in this area. She doesn't have a champion line but we wanted her as a pet not a hunting dog. She's quite the handful, but the biggest most loving baby ever. Since you have a GSP, you know what I mean.

Back on topic....I don't think Scott is going to post here. I think he's probably in some deep trouble and will probably lay low. I do feel bad for him, I have a feeling their may be some personal problems. But bad business is bad business. I think all of us did our research. He had great feedback and people who had booked and completed trips with him before without a problem. DVC won't be able to do anything for us, but I'm sure they are aware of the situation and may keep an eye on him. I know DVC owner's can rent their points and I love that fact because for us buying in...is just not for us. We are a couple in our 40's with no kids. For us it would honestly be cheaper to rent pts than pay the dues each year. As far as things being cancelled, I would just have a backup if possible. Ours is still not cancelled and we've been refunded. Do you think I should make DVC aware of it?? I hate to have a room booked that we will not be using. We've already made other arrangements.

Back on topic....I don't think Scott is going to post here. I think he's probably in some deep trouble and will probably lay low. I do feel bad for him, I have a feeling their may be some personal problems. But bad business is bad business. I think all of us did our research. He had great feedback and people who had booked and completed trips with him before without a problem. DVC won't be able to do anything for us, but I'm sure they are aware of the situation and may keep an eye on him. I know DVC owner's can rent their points and I love that fact because for us buying in...is just not for us. We are a couple in our 40's with no kids. For us it would honestly be cheaper to rent pts than pay the dues each year. As far as things being cancelled, I would just have a backup if possible. Ours is still not cancelled and we've been refunded. Do you think I should make DVC aware of it?? I hate to have a room booked that we will not be using. We've already made other arrangements.

I also feel that something happened to him personally. I hope he is okay.
Why not use the room that is not cancelled (and have one for back-up) and use the $ you were refunded to pay for the dining?

The money was refunded by ebay so technically we are not entitled to the room anymore because at this point, it's not paid for..we were refunded. I just don't want the room to be out of the inventory in case someone else wanted it. Not to mention, for what we paid for the room for 7 nights wouldn't cover dining for the 8 days we will be there...at least not the restaurants we would eat at on the dining plan.

We purchased a week's stay at AKL for this coming fall through a seller on eBay. He had a great feedback rating and had been selling these for a few years. Through a friend who is a DVC owner, I found out there were rumors that he had 'disappeared'. I do have a confirmation and when I spoke to DVC they did say that the reservation is valid, however she would not give me any more information. The eBay account (scottys_travel) has been shut down.

Is anyone else in the same situation? He had sold numerous weeks and suddenly started getting alot of negative feedback. I'm outside of the timeframe to get reimbursed from PayPal, and don't really want to do that if I can be assured that the reservation is valid and won't be cancelled. I have already paid him in full.

Me me me! I just found your post. Haven't been around much on DIS boards lately but we also purchased back in November. I filed a dispute with my credit card company. I just checked yesterday and I do still have my reservation. His fenix holiday's website is now shutdown. I just don't know what do to. We travel Aug 7th to the 14th also at AKL.

They won't. A rental between you and a member is a private transaction that Disney has nothing to do with. And from Disney's point of view, the member you rented points with is their competition for room rentals. Disney is not interested in getting involved in this transaction. Should this become a case of fraud, Disney will cooperate with the authorities.

I spoke with the Wilton Manors Police Dept and Disney was not helpful at all with the police dept. A detective that I have been dealing with in Feb spent hours on the phone with Disney and got no where. Also the seller now lives in Ft Lauderdale and his car registered to his name has been moving from it's parking space.

But how would she get the money back if the seller has vanished? There is no basis for filing a dispute with the credit card company because up until the point that the reservation doesn't happen or is cancelled by the owner, they haven't done anything that merits filing a dispute. The same with ebay. Unfortunately, the seller really hasn't done anything wrong to this point - from the standpoint of eBay or a credit card company or PayPal. Continuing to communicate with the buyer is not an obligation for the seller once the reservation is made.

I'm sorry to the OP that you're going through this stress and I hope it all works out for you. I agree with the others who said have a back-up plan of some kind.

I filed a dispute with my credit card company and I was issued a temporary credit. I called to see when it may become permanent and they told me...laughing....oh the seller will contact us when we take the money back from him. ..believe me...they will call us. Well it's been since mid Feb and he has made no contact yet. I have my temporary credit and my reservation is still in place. Isn't that strange? I still think something terrible happened to the seller.

Make a reservation off site or in a value. Have both reservations but check into DVC late in the day. You don't know if he sold the same reservation several times and there will be 20 people showing up for the same reservation. If you can get his name then jump on the orange country website and look up his deed (search here). Look at the paperwork and find where he lives (state and country-county is usually listed on the notary seal). Go to that states tax records website (tax records are public info) and search his name and country. If he owns a house it will come up. Search on google his name and address to get his phone number. It will take you a couple hours but... i had a need to contact another owner. All i had was his last name. An hour later i was talking to him on the phone... If you look at your paypal paperwork his name may be on it. Remember these are deeded properties. So you can search for the DVC deed. I seem to remember that if you can't work out your problem ebay will supply the address and contact information for the seller. That is where i would go at this time. At this point all you want to do is talk to the guy and confirm the reservation is real and yours.... Good luck, i know that empty feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when you are totally at a loss as to what to do next.

The really wierd thing is that there are three people living in Ft Lauderdale with the same exact name. We found his online travel agency as well. It is now shut down.

I too have been one of Scottys victims! I was to take my little 3 year old Granddaughter for her FIRST trip this Nov. I am so upset as I don't have the money to pay AGAIN! Ebay won't help me as I paid on Dec. 30 out of the 45 day limit and PayPal was no help either! I paid via PayPal and Bill Me Later. NO HELP through any of them! I am so upset and sad! PLEASE ANYONE give my your advice. I am desparate!!!

Try again and tell paypal to reopen your case as many have been refunded. I'm on your facebook page too!

For those of you who had contact with him, if you have his full name, can you look up other people in his town or the surrounding towns who have the same last name and call them to see if they know if something happened to him? I wouldn't get into details with people, but just ask if they know him and if something happened to him. It seems strange for someone who was so involved to suddenly be totally unreachable.

I found friends and former co-workers on facebook. They all said that he would NEVER scam anyone and that he was just not that type of person. They never did respond back to me though because I know they are not able to get in touch with him either. His cell phone was full of messages but last week it cleared open again. I left two more messages with no response.

We did. We got her at a farm outside of Lancaster. I think it was Hammertown kennels. There are quite a few good breeders in this area. She doesn't have a champion line but we wanted her as a pet not a hunting dog. She's quite the handful, but the biggest most loving baby ever. Since you have a GSP, you know what I mean.

Me me me! I just found your post. Haven't been around much on DIS boards lately but we also purchased back in November. I filed a dispute with my credit card company. I just checked yesterday and I do still have my reservation. His fenix holiday's website is now shutdown. I just don't know what do to. We travel Aug 7th to the 14th also at AKL.

The only one who can cancel those reservations would be the owner or DVC if they cancel due to suspension of his DVC account.

What will happen is when no one shows up for the reservation--as you mention, since you are refunded, you would not be allowed to use it--the points will be taken from the owners account anyway as any reservations not cancelled by day of check in are charged the full points.

Who knows what is going on with this owner at this point. I just hope all those who have reservations that can not or did not receive refunds get to travel without issue.

As far as reservations being cancelled because of non payment of dues, if he is set up monthly, as long as there are funds in the bank account he has associated to pull the MF's, he would not be considered in default.

Good luck everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter