AKL pricing vs POR

showar

Mouseketeer
I currently have POR booked for the week before Thanksgiving. I've always wanted to stay at AKL because my 4yo son LOVES animals and I know he would be so excited about staying here. Last week he asked me if we could move to Africa so we could have elephants (his favorites) and hippos in our backyard. I'm going to call tomorrow and see what the pricing difference is between the two but another part of me says to just stay at POR. On our first trip to WDW we spent very little time in our room since we did the parks all day long. We will likely spend a good portion of this trip at the parks since it will be my son's first trip. WWYD? Hubby says to book AKL but is it worth the difference in pricing? Anyone have an idea about how much more it would be?

I am in the middle of planning the next trip for me and my girlfriend for next year. We usually stay at POR (we love it there) but we are looking to go AKL on this next trip since we plan on spending more time at the resort this time around. I have found that the rooms are about twice as expensive at AKL than POR.

I am actually not sure which would be better for you. My first thought is to stick with POR since you will be spending a lot of time at the parks that it may not make sence to almost double the cost of your trip for a nicer resort. However, with a 4 year old you might be more inclined to take mid-day naps and spend more time at the resort than you are expecting. With that being said, and you can afford it, go for it. You could also always do a split stay and spend half your trip at POR and the other half at AKL.:confused3

We have a similar situation.....We are staying at POP but considering our last nite at AKL for the kids, as the last full day and flying day will be mostly at resort.....We are excited.

I always recommend split stays. Disney handles them great and they are great for a family like ours. First thing is you save money. And then you get to experience the deluxe resort. We usually stay four nights in either Pop or POFQ then two days at WL (our fave). Gives us something to look forward to at the end of our vacation. Plus, you can make it a surprise for your son. Take him over to AKL early in your stay and show him the animals and such. Then early on the morning of the move, wake him up with a great big surprise. Guess where we are going to stay tonight? He will even help you pack he will be so excited. Then let Disney do the rest as you enjoy a day at the parks.

My cost for 7 nights at POR with 6 days park tix and free dining in late Sept was $2200, it would have been $3300 for AKL. Since I DO NOT like the menus at the AKL restaurants and my kids can take or leave the animals, I went with POR and saved the money. It would not have taken too much to get me to upgrade though. AKL is a beautiful resort. The pool is wonderful. If my kids were into it, I would have forked out the extra $1000+ but I am fortunate that I have that option.

I currently have POR booked for the week before Thanksgiving. I've always wanted to stay at AKL because my 4yo son LOVES animals and I know he would be so excited about staying here. Last week he asked me if we could move to Africa so we could have elephants (his favorites) and hippos in our backyard. I'm going to call tomorrow and see what the pricing difference is between the two but another part of me says to just stay at POR. On our first trip to WDW we spent very little time in our room since we did the parks all day long. We will likely spend a good portion of this trip at the parks since it will be my son's first trip. WWYD? Hubby says to book AKL but is it worth the difference in pricing? Anyone have an idea about how much more it would be?
Just one word of caution. AFAIK, there are no elephants at AKL. There are at the Animal Kingdom park.

It is significantly more expensive to stay at AKL than at POR, particularly if you're looking for a savannah view.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter