AKL or WL?

What do you think? I love AKL, but I have never been to WL. My brother stayed at WL a few months ago w/ his fiancee, and he loved it, but he had never been to AKL! DH thinks WL is cool bc it reminds him of Colorado, but he also loves AKL. I also really like that AKL doesn't share busses with anyone else. Anyone stayed in both? Which do you like?

We have stayed at WL twice, 2000 and again in 2004. We LOVED it both times. Love the theming, the darker woods and richness to it all. Loved the easy transportation to the MK. We have also always had great bus service there too. We have always enjoyed roaring forks and going down to refill our mugs at night and stopping in for a snack. We love how the hotel is all under one roof, especially great for rainy days.

Our last trip in 2005 we stopped by the AKL to see what we thought of it. We were actually supposed to be there this week, but had to cancel. I have to say it felt very dark to me. The wood seemed almost black, as opposed to a deep brown. We viewed the Arusha rock area and that was pretty and the CMs posted there very friendly, as were the CMs at the Mara. Overall though I just felt like it was really isolated and if you got tired of eating at the restaurants there, then it wasn't really convenient to get on a resort bus to transfer to another hotel bus, etc. etc. At WL you can take a boat to the Contemporary to eat there, walk over to Ft. Wilderness, and so on. Lots of people seem to really love it but I'd never trade the ambience and proximity to the water at the WL to stay at AKL. Just my opinion though. There are many many people who love AKL as much as I love WL.

we've stayed at both WL and AKL a couple times. We love WL, just more of a New England feel. as much as I enjoy the animals and we love Jikos.

Conservative Hippie said:
What do you think? I love AKL, but I have never been to WL. My brother stayed at WL a few months ago w/ his fiancee, and he loved it, but he had never been to AKL! DH thinks WL is cool bc it reminds him of Colorado, but he also loves AKL. I also really like that AKL doesn't share busses with anyone else. Anyone stayed in both? Which do you like?

Okay, I've stayed at both, and prefer WL. Both hotels were designed by the same architect (wonderfully brilliant person) and they both have a lot of the same characteristics.....but, at WL you have boats (ride to MK and/or rent and drive) and bicycles to rent. AKL has no boats to any where or even to rent, no bikes to rent.....they have animals to watch ....which were absolutely beautiful to see, but IMO....WL has a lot more to offer. And as far as the buses go....you are out in nowhere man's land....so it takes forever and a day to get to anywhere other than AK.

We have stayed at both on numerous occasions. It really depends so you would need to give more information. These are our two fav's and have stayed at these two many times. Not a cop out to say it just depends on what you want.

Consider this

1) If you like american type food much more than exotic food stay at the WL and then visa versa. (if you plan to eat at the resort)

2) If you will be traveling to the parks alot neither have great transportation (that is one reason they are a value for a delux resort) but the WL is much closer to the MK and easy to get to the MK from the WL. The AKL is only easy to get to AK or BB.

3) If you like animals out of yur window like the zoo feel then its the AKL.

Sorry I couldnt be more helpful

ps - if you like to walk or a walker for exercise like I am then the WL is great and the AKL is not good.

My vote is for WL. The rooms are being rehabed as we speak. The resort is breath taking but with all new furniture, plasma TV, new bedding, carpet ect. the rooms will be terrific. The boat ride to MK can't be beat. The buses made two quick stops at poly anf GF and it wasn'r bad at all. Coming back from the parks the route was direct.

Oh I almost forgot you can take the boat to CR for dinner at Chef Mickey's or Fort Wildreness for the Hopp dee do Revue

DH & I just stayed at the AKL. We really loved it!! BUT we reallllly reallllllly :love: LOVE the WL. The whole PACIFIC NORTHWEST motif is fabulous. Disney has gone above and beyond to make this resort just simply breathe-taking. Both my sons are Eagle Scouts with the BSA and say it is their home away from home. If you are an outdoorsy kind of person you will LOVE :love: it and if you are not an outdoorsy kind of person you will BECOME one after experiencing the WL. That huge fireplace with actual stone from the Grand Canyon---ahhhh!!!! The rocking chairs to sit in and ponder and take it all in...they have a little like waterways running through the lobby. WCC is HYSTERICAL. You must eat there. The geyser, the electric boat parade each evening, the pools etc AWESOME!!!!

We did love the AKL but will probably not go back any time soon.

MY VOTE= WL!!!! :thumbsup2

What are the chances of a discounted (or dare I say free?) upgrade at check-in at WL? I just called my brother (it will be his first time at Disney), and he likes the idea of WL better, although he's never seen either one. I think the chance of a discounted upgrade at AKL are good, and I'd really really love us to have a deluxe room, although I'm not sure I can pay as much as they want for it :guilty:

Ok, serious help needed! I need to finalize my reservation tomorrow!!

Another WL question...are Jr. Suites and Deluxe rooms the same thing? I have heard talk about Jr. Suites, but there is no mention of them on wdw.com. I am guessing they have just renamed them deluxe rooms?

Hey,

At the WL - Jr. Suites is now the delux rooms. Many of us oldies (like old conservative hippies) still call it by its old name. :cool1:

The chances of a free upgrade is small at either place. Make that slim to none. Paying for an upgrade is always an option. Sometimes its a very good deal and sometimes not. Depends on when you go and when you get there (during the week and just lucky timing).

Thanks to everyone for the info and opinions. Three out of four of us vote for AKL, so it looks like we are headed there! I won't mind at all paying for an upgrade, esp. if it's a good deal, but I'll be hoping for a little magical pixie dust!

we have stayed at quite a few of the resorts. i know i am in the vast minority, but the worst experience overall was at the WL. we stayed at AKL last august and it was the nicest hotel by far. we had a savanah view room. i would stay there in a heartbeat.
we are going in 4 weeks. staying at POR this time. also love theis resort.

Can anyone compare concierge at AKL and WL. We recently stayed at AKL concierge level and absolutely loved it. Thinking of staying WL concierge on our next visit, any comments.

I like AKL more. I'm an animal guy, so I really enjoyed the atmosphere. Also, Boma is perhaps my favorite Disney eatery. WL is great though.

I've stayed at both and prefer AKL, but if you want to try WL I think you should go for it. You can always go back to AKL another time. :)

What helped us decide on the AKL was the fact that we can easily experience the hotels of the Pacific NW or in our case the great train hotels of Canada (Banff Springs) but experiencing the African Savannah was unlikely. Not really sure what the other poster meant when they said WL had more of a New England feel.

having stayed at both, my wife and i vote WL.

We find both resorts great, but WL wins by a nose.

It has a great theme, is close to the MK, has great onsite dining(Roaring fork/Whispering Canyon/Artist Pointe), is close to many other resorts, the staff is friendly, and it feels like home.

:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter