AKL or WL? Someone help!!

Dreamsdocometrue9112

"hang onto your hats and glasses 'cause this here'
Well, after discussing it over, DH and I decided that for our upcoming post-Thanksgiving trip, we will be staying at a deluxe. I had a post previously about deciding to stay moderate due to the cost. Since this will probably be our last big trip just the two of us (before kids and family trips), that we may as well do it right :)

So my question is, between AKL and WL, where would you stay? We want to stay at one of these resorts simply because they are the less expensive of the deluxes. I have been looking into the AKL pool view (can't justify the cost of Savannah when we can just sit outside) or WL standard view? WL is my dream Christmas resort, but I'm not sure if I can handle a view of a rooftop or parking lot. Woods view does not seem to have king beds, and that's a big thing for me, so I've been much ruled that out (unless I'm wrong and there are king beds in woods view rooms!) Courtyard view is just so much more.

Help!!

Well, after discussing it over, DH and I decided that for our upcoming post-Thanksgiving trip, we will be staying at a deluxe. I had a post previously about deciding to stay moderate due to the cost. Since this will probably be our last big trip just the two of us (before kids and family trips), that we may as well do it right :)

So my question is, between AKL and WL, where would you stay? We want to stay at one of these resorts simply because they are the less expensive of the deluxes. I have been looking into the AKL pool view (can't justify the cost of Savannah when we can just sit outside) or WL standard view? WL is my dream Christmas resort, but I'm not sure if I can handle a view of a rooftop or parking lot. Woods view does not seem to have king beds, and that's a big thing for me, so I've been much ruled that out (unless I'm wrong and there are king beds in woods view rooms!) Courtyard view is just so much more.

Help!!

I have not stayed at AKL, but the WL is amazing!!! Just a truly magical resort. :cloud9:

For us, to justify spending more on the deluxes, we need location. WL is in the MK area and reachable by boat. BUT, you also have easy access to the monorail and monorail resorts by taking a boat to CR. We found that to be awesome!!!!

I think AKL looks beautiful, but if I am paying deluxe prices, I personally need to have good access to at least one of the parks (i.e. different transportation option).

Good luck deciding!

We've stayed at both and love both for different reasons. We've never had a standard view at either resort, but have had both savanna and pool view at AKL and we liked our pool view just as much as the savanna view and wouldn't hesitate to book that again. If you will be spending alot of time at the resort, AKL might be a good choice as it's kind of quiet and away from everything. The only mode of transportation is the bus, but we didn't find the buses to be bad at all as they only service AKL and Kidani. I can't help with the king beds as we are a family of 4 and always need 2 queens, but hopefully someone will be able to give some information on that. Good luck deciding, but I don't think you can go wrong with either one as they are both great. Good luck.

I can't comment on WL as we've never stayed there. We're from Arkansas, so the whole forest/wilderness/wildlife animal theme doesn't appeal to us. It's too similar to the surroundings we have at home for it to be special for vacation for us.

We stayed at AKL for the first time this past summer and LOVED it. We opted for a pool view because I felt it would be better than seeing a rooftop or parking lot and the difference in price was minimal. Prior to the trip, I was worried that we would feel that we really missed out by not being in a savanna view. I just couldn't justify the additional cost, especially the arusha view which to me would be the best savanna view. We loved the pool view. I was surprised that we could see the animals even inside the resort as we left our room and walked through the hallway. There were various glass partitions that allowed us to look out and see the animals. There were several lookout areas outside the resort to view the animals that I didn't feel "jipped" in the least for having chosen the pool view.

One other concern that I had prior to vacation was the transportation because most people here on the boards talk like AKL is so remote from the parks that transportation can be horrible. We didn't feel like it was any further to the parks, except MK, and even then it was a minimal time difference (maybe 10 min. difference at absolute most). We had a great experience with transportation, and that was a big concern for me heading into the trip. I wouldn't let transportation be a worry at all. For us, we had a great experience.

When making your choice, I would think about which resort theme appeals to you more as the amenities that both offer will be similar. The obvious difference with AKL is the animals that you'll get to see. For us, it was like a vacation to WDW and a mini African vacation in one. The cast members, most from South Africa, were wonderful to visit with. They were lovely to visit with. There's between one to three cast members by the various lookout areas that can tell you all about the animals, South Africa, etc. They added a lot to our experience. It's amazing also how close you can get to the animals and how many lookout areas there are. The resort also offers fun activities such as using night vision goggles to see the animals.

AKL, besides the animals, is stunning inside. It truly is beautiful. The pool was great too.

You might also consider if you'll eat at the table restaurants at either resort. We love Boma, so it was nice to have easy access to it.

Good luck with your decision!

We are staying at WL in early May, in a Woods View room and CM confirmed my King bed request just yesterday. New website does not show availability of King bed in the Woods View room but a phone call confirmed their error.

RmeDad - you just confirmed my decision at WL! That was really the make it or break it decision maker. I did NOT want to be staring at a rooftop! If woods view had a king, that would be it.

Location was a huge thing. I would have done AKL if WL woods view did not have king beds…but I LOVE the fact we are a boat ride away from MK and just a bit from the monorail. Plus, the resort looks just beautiful at Christmas!

Thanks for your help, everyone!!

Glad I could help. CM assured me that my correction would be forwarded to the appropriate person and low and behold it was. Site now has correct info.

Dreamsdocometrue9112 said:

Help!!

I have stayed at Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge. Here are my thoughts. I didn't request a savannah view but got one at AKL because they have so many. It was just luck. My son loved looking at the animals everyday and even noticed a pattern of when they came by our balcony and which ones always slept near our balcony. My son was 9 when we were there. The next year, we stayed at WL and my 17 year old loved that resort. She liked the small beach area and the close proximity to everything where AKL was a bit farther out. I liked the atmosphere of the AKL but the close proximity to everything at WL. Trust me, you won't be disappointed with either one. It a tough choice for me if I had to pick one right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter