AKL or Poly?

corvair

<font color=FF99FF>Doesn't need a fancy tag
HI, I have 2 DDs. One is 9 the other is 12, who loves AK and the safari. The other loves a great pool. Which of these resorts would be better for my kids? I thinks I could swing either resort using the codes. We like a great location near the pool with easy access to the food court, for my early coffee, and my DH will have to have a balcony... Which do you think my kids would enjoy better. We will have a car so busses will not be an issue.... thanks....corvair amy

Both resorts are great. If you are talking location in relation to the parks, Polynesian wins hands down. AKL is kind of removed from the parks, but you said that you have a car anyway. Both resorts have rooms with balconies and rooms that are within decent walking distance of coffee.

Pool...well neither of these resorts have pools to compare to SAB, but I think they both are great. Polynesian has the Volcano pool, which is a nifty theme. AKL has The Oasis. And you really feel you are at an oasis, it's a large open pool with a nice slide. It's not a thrill slide, just a nice slide into the pool.

I don't think you can go wrong at either place. If you have never been to AKL though, you have to experience it, it was GREAT when we were there.

zulaya, thanks... AKL sounds great. My 12 year old loves the animals.... sounds like you kind of are leaning toward AKL.... any other info or help would be great...amy

One this year, the other next year! Or if you just can't wait and are staying 7 days or longer, consider a "split stay", staying several days at each. Be aware that the Poly does not have a food court, one of its few weaknesses. It has "Captain Cooks", a small grill/grocery with limited seating.

Hi Amy, I have seen your posts a few times and I can totally relate:D How long are you going for and when are you going? If you are going for 6 nights or more I would split your stay. We are going to do that next year; 5 at the Polynesian and 3 at AKL. We enjoy them both so much I don't think I could stay at just one. If your trip is under 6 days I don't know if I would move? Maybe you don't even want to move? If you don't you can always have dinner at the other resort (Boma's and 'Ohana's are our favorite places to eat). Your kids are older than mine so your needs won't be quite the same. We love the MK it is our favorite park, so one of the reasons we love the Polynesian is because of it's location. It's great to go back to the room for those afternoon naps or even just to get a break from the MK. We only stayed one night at the AKL, but we were there from 9:30 am until checkout the next day. We only left to go to DD for an hour. We just fell in love with this place. I don't know if I could stay there for 6 days? It's out of the way so it's nice and relaxing, but that means it's a drive to get anywhere.
My 7yr old dd and dh liked the Polynesian pool better. My ds and I prefer the AKL.

I have stayed at both and would recommend the AKL. We have stayed there twice. The first time we split our stay between AKL and Polynesian. We liked the AKL better. It is newer and fresher looking. The landscaping at Polynesian is more lush and tropical, but AKL has its merrits.

The second stay at the AKL was for 6 nights. The drive to any of the parks really isn't bad. For transportation, IMHO, the only advantage to the Polynesian is the monorail to MK and Epcot.

I would recommend the Zebra Trail at AKL for its closeness to the pool and food court. Lower floors have better views of the Savannahs if you get a Savannah view. All rooms at AKL have balconies except first floor pool view. They have patios. Only the newer buildings at Polynesian have balconies. Most do not.

Thanks everyone for all the great info. We will be staying 7 nights, but I promised my 9 year oldDD that we would stay at the ASMO 3 of the nights. She is a very big kid at heart and would love the theme. Poly and AKL both sound great. Thanks again for all of the great info on both resorts. I love reading about all of the resorts and why you do or do not like them.....amy

I think if you are going to be at ASMO for 3 nights you should move to the Polynesian. ASMO is out by the AKL. We did a 2/3 night split between the ASMO and the Polynesian in January. I really don't think you will be disappointed with either one. If you don't like it you could always move. We moved 3 times on our last trip because we weren't happy :p

Originally posted by corvair
HI, I have 2 DDs. One is 9 the other is 12, who loves AK and the safari. The other loves a great pool. Which of these resorts would be better for my kids? I thinks I could swing either resort using the codes. We like a great location near the pool with easy access to the food court, for my early coffee, and my DH will have to have a balcony... Which do you think my kids would enjoy better. We will have a car so busses will not be an issue.... thanks....corvair amy

If it were me, I'd absolutely chose AKL. I've stayed at both, and I really like AKL's pool!! I like the whole hotel actually, a lot better than the Poly. Plus, Mara is a terrific food court!!

Thanks....We enjoy a nice food court. We do go out for sit down dinners alot but we also use the food court alot. I was a little dissapointed in the WL food court. I guess that is not what I expected. We had only stayed at moderates befire that with a big food court. I am glad you said the pool is great at the AKL. That is what I was concerned about. WE like a nice big pool..:p :p thanks...corvair amy

The Polynesian!!! I just got backed and I LOVED it. If you want a room close to the food, request a room in Rarotonga. It's close to everything and has balconies on the third floor. Your kids will LOVE it there. I was wishing I had kids when I was down there because there was just so much for them to do. It's also very relaxing. You will look forward to coming back to your resort after a long day at the parks. I've never stayed at the AKL so, yes, I am bias :)

I vote for the Polynesian. The grounds are beautiful, the location is fantastic and the pools are nice too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter