• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKL or POFQ

SharpMomOfTwo

DIS Veteran
DH and I are going to Disney this December with our girls and both sets of grandparents. As of right now, we are booked at the POFQ, but I'm seriously concidering AKL. Its about $500 more per room, but it is a much better resort.... right? :confused3 I don't know much about it other than its a deluxe and POFQ is moderate. Our main concern is distance from each hotel to the parks, ie Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Is there much of a time difference between the two (obviously AKL is much closer to AK than POFQ is!).
Do you have any other pros and cons for both resorts?

TIA :flower3:
Sarah

I've stayed twice at POFQ and once at AKL. While there are many who love the AKL and it is beautiful, to me it was just too far away and inconvenient. On the other hand, POFQ is a great hotel and a very fair price for what you get and a relatively convenient location. I'd stick with POFQ - its one of my favorites. For the $1000 you will save on the rooms, think how much fun you can have spending that money all week. Why not make a dinner reservation at AKL and go over and check it all out.

The plusses at POFQ are: very nice theming, a great boat ride to DTD, more compact size than other moderates. Plus the food court is good, too. I find when I stay at a hotel with a decent food court we end up saving even more money because we have more food court meals (esp breakfast and lunch). One of our favorite things to do is to have dinner in the food court and then stroll down to the river - we watch the boats go by, the horse and carriage rides pass etc. I like the live music in the lounge at night and you can go over to POR, too. I think POFQ is a good value. You won't really notice the difference in room size from POFQ and AKL.

The pros to AKL are that it is beautiful, it is great to see the animals on the savannah. Also Boma and Jiko are there. And the gift shop is one of the best of the disney resorts (my real favorite is the contemporary). And the rooms definately have a higher end feel to them. But to me it felt far away and isolated. And given that it is isolated, if you don't want to eat a full buffet dinner or breakfast or go for a fancier dinner, you're only choice is the Mara. While the Mara isn't bad, its not like having a good food court or more of a regular restaurant (not sure how to explain it but I mean like the Grand Floridian Cafe, the Kona or sadly, the Concourse Steakhouse) in terms of selection.

So that's why I recommend the POFQ of the two. You made a good choice - I'd save the money and stick with it.

So while others may disagree

We are going to try AKL next summer. This will be our first stay. I don't want to sway you one way or the other. Did you ask the other people what they like or have they seen the WD DVD to see the resort?? Maybe start there. Which ever you decided I know you will have a GREAT time!!!!:thumbsup2 :banana: :yay: :dance3:

i havent stayed at AK so maybe i really shouldnt give advice but on our last trip we spent a few days at POFQ and we just loved it. the resort was nice and quiet and easy to get around and i found it to be just so perfectly themed. food court had good food and a decent gift shop.

from what i have read and i will someday stay at AK, that AK is a beautiful place to stay but i think that the 500 dollars extra per room could be spent on other great things to do. like a fireworks cruise !!!my favorite WDW luxury

I've stayed at both and I would pick POFQ over AKL. Unless you are staying at a Savannah Room I don't think AKL is worth it. To me, it was very pretty, very nice but not great. POFQ wasn't great either, we liked it alot but for the price difference it made POFQ more attractive. I loved that it was small and cozy. I liked the food court and everything was well maintained. This december we are trying the WL for the x-mas feel. With little kids I would stay w/ POFQ. JMO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter