AKL or BWV with toddlers

AmyDek

Mouseketeer
What would you choose- 1BR at AKL or at BWV? BWV is standard view, AKL is savannah view. We have two little ones so we will have a double stroller which makes buses not so fun.

We've stayed at BWV before and do like it and the close proximity to Epcot and HS- but we only plan on going to each of those parks twice. We've never been to AKL and have heard it's absolutely amazing. If we go ALK we will rent a car and plan on driving to all but MK.

Thoughts?

If you stay at AKL, stay at Kidani. Kidani has the water play area for kids--fountains, etc. and it has the community hall to do coloring, crafts, games, etc. Both Jambo and Kidani have extra 'cultural' activities--drumming lessons, various animal stuff, etc. If you're going to spend more time at the resort, I'd do Kidani over BWV. Having said that...BWV is our favorite, mainly due to be being able to walk to both Epcot and HS, and my kids love the Community Hall, and we all love the atmosphere on the Boardwalk.

The 1BR at AKL also gets you 2 full bathrooms over 1 at BWV.

If you stay at AKL, stay at Kidani. Kidani has the water play area for kids--fountains, etc. and it has the community hall to do coloring, crafts, games, etc. Both Jambo and Kidani have extra 'cultural' activities--drumming lessons, various animal stuff, etc. If you're going to spend more time at the resort, I'd do Kidani over BWV. Having said that...BWV is our favorite, mainly due to be being able to walk to both Epcot and HS, and my kids love the Community Hall, and we all love the atmosphere on the Boardwalk.

THanks! I just can't decide if we go for the theme of the hotel or the convenience. We have never driven in WDW so we don't know how tough that will be. I may really regret not having two parks to walk to!

Can you walk to AK from AKL? Previously I was told to go for Jambo house over Kidani village because it's not such a long walk everywhere. Interesting!

Absolutely agree with this. Also, certain spots of the pool area are shaded which can help if one of the kids naps.

So we would have to bus or drive even to AK??

I appreciate the kids stuff but then my kids are little- 3 and 1. Do you think they will enjoy the things you're speaking of?

I appreciate the kids stuff but then my kids are little- 3 and 1. Do you think they will enjoy the things you're speaking of?
Yes, you bus everywhere for AKV. My vote would be BWV. My oldest LOVES animals. But even as a toddler, the savannah view only interested him for a bit.

The Kidani water area is great for kids, but at 3 & 1 they may prefer the BWV elephant kiddie pool and playground. The Kidani water area has a small splash area along with a jungle gym type playground. It's shaded so great for summer, but a bit cold in cool weather. There's a "kiddie" slide but it requires walking up the small hill and the slide is enclosed. My 3 yo was too scared to go by herself last summer. Instead we spent more time in the main pool floating. The good thing for AKV over BWV is the zero entry pool. The con is that AKV pool could be a hike depending on where your room's located.

If you go for AKV, just be sure to put something like a chair in front of the screen door. My kids always end up walking into the glass a few times.

If you eat out more than in, AKV would also not be as convenient. Walking over to Jambo is reasonable. But navigating Jambo and Mara/Boma with a double is a pain!

I'd wait a few more years so that both kids can do the various activities offered at the resort.

Previously I was told to go for Jambo house over Kidani village because it's not such a long walk everywhere. Interesting!
FWIW, the Jambo 1BR master suite is sub-standard to any other DVC. You have to step into the Jacuzzi tub to shower, there is only 1 vanity, and the bathroom is not attached to the bedroom.
Kidani, on the other hand, is one of the better DVC 1BR (2 full bathrooms including a huge, proper en-suite master bathroom)

But BWV is very nice with a stroller when you can walk or roll onto a boat for 2 parks.
If you get ground floor it's even possible to avoid an elevator while walking to the boat or bus stop.

I vote BWV also. 2 trips each to Epcot and DHS is 4 round trips on a bus you don't have to make. The walk to each park is beautiful and I always enjoy it. The boat ride is nice also but will take longer.
We did AKL-Jambo in a savannah studio when DD was 3 and DS was 1. They don't remember it now 3 years later, and got very little out of the views or the resort. We actually have no desire to ever return to AKL, just personal preference. We really enjoy being within walking distance and/or non-bus transportation to at least one theme park when we stay. We also never drive, FWIW.
Honestly your little ones would probably enjoy AoA best just because of the huge Disney and Pixar monuments and bright color palette. But we're not talking about that as an option! So go for whatever theme YOU will like better as the parent, you can always take the kiddos back to either resort when they're older.

I vote BWV also. 2 trips each to Epcot and DHS is 4 round trips on a bus you don't have to make. The walk to each park is beautiful and I always enjoy it. The boat ride is nice also but will take longer.
We did AKL-Jambo in a savannah studio when DD was 3 and DS was 1. They don't remember it now 3 years later, and got very little out of the views or the resort. We actually have no desire to ever return to AKL, just personal preference. We really enjoy being within walking distance and/or non-bus transportation to at least one theme park when we stay. We also never drive, FWIW.
Honestly your little ones would probably enjoy AoA best just because of the huge Disney and Pixar monuments and bright color palette. But we're not talking about that as an option! So go for whatever theme YOU will like better as the parent, you can always take the kiddos back to either resort when they're older.

Thanks- you convinced us to go with AKV (I know that wasn't your vote, lol)! We agree with going where we as adults will enjoy ourselves since the kiddos won't remember it and I personally have stayed at the BWV three times, once with hubby so we are ready for something new and he is an animal lover! AKV it is (unless this reservation disappears too then we're back to BWV, lol! till going to waitlist BLT, no idea if that will happen! Thanks for the input!

Thanks- you convinced us to go with AKV (I know that wasn't your vote, lol)! We agree with going where we as adults will enjoy ourselves since the kiddos won't remember it and I personally have stayed at the BWV three times, once with hubby so we are ready for something new and he is an animal lover! AKV it is (unless this reservation disappears too then we're back to BWV, lol! till going to waitlist BLT, no idea if that will happen! Thanks for the input!
Having a Savannah view is great when you have kids going to bed early or napping--you can sit out on the balcony with a drink and watch the animals. They're out all day and night (except when they're called in for checkups, usually at various times in the morning.)

We stayed at Jambo last summer and would definitely recommend it for older kids. My 2nd grader and 6th grader could handle the long walks to the rooms and had electronics to keep them entertained after the savannah wore off. We found food providers to be quite a distance away. Much more colorful buildings and boats to distract the younger crowd at BWV.

My kids are 4 and 1 1/2 and love the pool and splash area at Kidani and love going to Jambo to play on the pay structure.

we just stayed at AKV with a 5 and 2yr old. They loved the Savannah views and the play and pool areas were awesome. Activities in the lobbies were fantastic. I did find the restaurants not so young kid friendly. Spot on renting a car. The bus rides are a killer from that location. Next time a split stay for us as we will stay 3 nights at AKV and experience everything around that property only then move to a more central resort to experience everything else.

I think you'll enjoy Kidani. We've stayed there several times w/ our small DGC, and the animals did not get old for them. The last time, our 18-month-old DGS woke up each morning and wanted to look for animals. We always have a car and drive everywhere except the MK as you said you will. It is very easy to navigate. The car will help dealing w/ the double stroller. And the Kidani pool is very nice for small kiddos. Have a great time.

What would you choose- 1BR at AKL or at BWV? BWV is standard view, AKL is savannah view. We have two little ones so we will have a double stroller which makes buses not so fun.

We've stayed at BWV before and do like it and the close proximity to Epcot and HS- but we only plan on going to each of those parks twice. We've never been to AKL and have heard it's absolutely amazing. If we go ALK we will rent a car and plan on driving to all but MK.

Thoughts?

In my honest opinion you won't know what YOU and your family likes better until try both.

Each family and situation is different. Eg we have twins so having to deal with a double stroller was nothing for us, it's all we knew. Tastes are different too.

We've stayed at both (and others) and both will have plusses and cons for you.

Just curious, are you doing Jambo or Kidani? While I know many love Kidani (2 bathrooms and the pool area), I prefer Jambo. With Jambo the pool is fine, there is a QS right there, more restaurant choices and I really like the lobby area. I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you choose.

Just curious, are you doing Jambo or Kidani? While I know many love Kidani (2 bathrooms and the pool area), I prefer Jambo. With Jambo the pool is fine, there is a QS right there, more restaurant choices and I really like the lobby area. I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you choose.
Doing kidani, I wanted jambo but t was booked and I think it will be fine. The perks at kidani will prob lend themselves much more to us so maybe better that the decision was made for us!

In my honest opinion you won't know what YOU and your family likes better until try both.

Each family and situation is different. Eg we have twins so having to deal with a double stroller was nothing for us, it's all we knew. Tastes are different too.

We've stayed at both (and others) and both will have plusses and cons for you.

Thanks that's what we figured too so since we've already stayed at bw we will try akv this time. As for stroller I don't even think it's the double vs single issue- my husband was huffy over the single on buses, I just don't think he likes being at the mercy of "public" transportation lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter