AKL on whim, now wondering if I booked the right room, advice please!

Jake & Crew

Mouseketeer
Last week we booked a trip for August 2010 ( yes you read that right:goodvibes). Of course it was challenging to get 8 nights in a row 4 months out so we did 4 at BWV and 4 at AKL. We had stayed at BWV before and they were 3 on our list of tries so we were happy with that booking. The CM found AKL for the second stretch of 4 nights and was a choice of Jambo or Kidani for a 1BR. We did not have this resort on our radar as we were not doing AK this trip but I jumped at it and made a choice I am now questioning.:upsidedow

So without me telling which I booked (Jambo or Kidani) please give me your opinion on which you would have advised me on if you were on with the call with me so I can gauge if I am on or off track for my family of 4. We are excited about AKL and are doing AK now but wonder if we should try back for the "other" 1 BR.

hmm kidani has closer proximity to the animals but i think that Jambo just feels more alive and vibrant, people, restaurant, bar, fire pits. i would prefer jambo.

All the 1 bedrooms at Kidani have two bathrooms. With a family of 4, I might pick that.

However, the ones in Jambo house are close to the food, including Mara (CS), so if being near that is important, then I would go with that one.

I have heard the resort is beautiful. We have not yet stayed there but am sure we will try it at some point, even if just for a few nights. When we do, I will chose Jambo, simply because the CS location is important to us when we stay.

Any room, in any section, at any Disney Vacation Club Resort is far better than any room off site and definately better than not being at Disney at all, so don't get so caught up on 'where' is better or it will ruin your trip before it starts.

David

It is not like you have a wrong choice. Here are just some differences and similarities:

1. Floors: all Jambo DVC are on top 5th fl except for concierge right above the lobby which are on the 6th fl (that is the only area where there is a 6th fl). At Kidani, all rooms are DVC and thus all floors (2 through 5) are available. For savanna view, some like the higher floor, looking down on animals, and some the lower floor, looking directly at them.

2. Room size: studios are about the same size in both buildings; 1BRs (and thus 2BRs) in Kidani are much larger than Jambo and the Kidani 1BR has 2 bathrooms. Also, Jambo has a combined tub shower arrangement in the master bathroom and Kidani has the separate tub and shower

3. Pools: Jambo's is larger and has lots of shaded areas due to mature trees and bushes; also has two hot tubs, Kidani has one; both have zero entry area; Kidani has significantly longer pool slide; it also has the elaborate kids water play area close to the pool.

4. Restaurants: Jambo has table service (Jiko), buffet (Boma), and counter service (Mara). Kidani has only table service (Sanaa). Sanaa has nice views of the savanna; none of the Jambo restaurants have views. Jiko, Sanaa and Boma are excellent restaurants; Mara is good counter service.

6. Store: Jambo has the much bigger store.

7 Lobby: both are impressive but Jambo has the much larger lobby.

8. Parking: lot is away from front of building for Jambo; Kidani is ideal with parking on ground floor under the building, and with multiple elevators along wings you can always park near where your room is.

9. Busses: park busses stop at Kidani first, DD at Jambo first; at rush hour in the morning can sometimes hit crowded bus to a park if getting on at Jambo. Otherwise, bus service is generally good.

10. Walk to room: at Jambo you can have quite a long walk from lobby to room if at the end of the wings. However, Kidani puts Jambo to shame in that category and you can have the never ending walk down the endless hallway to nowhere to the end rooms (end rooms on north wing of Kidani are over 1/4 mile from the lobby and I guarantee you have never been to a hotel where the rooms in a single building are further than this from the lobby). Wise to request a room close to lobby there. At both, most things of importance -- restaurants, store, bus stop and pool -- are close to the lobby although the Kidani pool is more a little north of the lobby.

11. Room decor: comparable in both; whole resort has rooms-on-a-savanna feel; rooms are actually not very brightly lighted as internal lights do not go to real bright. In fact, whole resort has dim lighting that gives a sense of close to dusk on a savanna.

12. Savannas: Jambo has three: Arusha in middle of building, Uzima to east of building and Sunset to the west. Most Kidani savanna rooms look out at Sunset, the largest savanna, but it also has a small one to the north/NW , Pembe. Pembe has no giraffes, others do.

13. Distance between resorts: you can use amenities, including pool, at either building while staying in one. However, walk from lobby to lobby is about 1/2 mile.

All good points above me, so I'll keep my comments brief. Either one is going to be enjoyable. The primary differences are the second bathroom in the 1BR at Kidani and the variety/ease of eateries at Jambo. AKL, in general, is a gorgeous resort and great for kids (and adults!). ;)

I'm assuming that you are a DVC Member so does it really matter? During your ownership you will probably stay at all of the resorts several times. You should at least stay at each resort once to determine your favorites.

Don't worry about, stick with what you booked and have a wonderful vacation. :goodvibes

:earsboy: Bill

For us it really comes down to which is more convient for you a second bathroom or closer to Mara and other restaurants.

If neither is a strong preference then you're good to go.

Denise in MI

We have stayed at Jambo previously and loved it, we will be staying at Kidani in June even though we know it is a hike from the lobby. Trying different resorts is what is great about DVC. If you don't like it, try something different next time. I would imagine that you will have a blast regardless of where you stay. Have a great vacation!!

I have not stayed at Jambo but thoroughly enjoyed out Kidani visit last November.

Kidani is the true DVC property, Jambo has two floors that are DVC, but is a hotel. The community hall in Kadani is great, kids loved it. The 2 big differences are the second bathroom which is great for getting ready for the park and for the view, if you have a savanah view, you want to be on the 2nd or third floors. from the fifth floor you are looking down at the animals, just not the same.
Also you don't mention ages, but if the kids are small the will love the play area at the pool in Kidani Village.

Remember if you stay at one you can make the short bus ride or if you have a car drive over to the other resort.
But my vote would be for Kidani

I have stayed at both, and love both of them equally for various reasons.

Kidani has the great pool area for the younger kiddies, and has the 2nd bath in the 1bds, but the walk from the lobby can be very long.

Jambo has the great eateries. We love Boma and Jiko and plan on hitting both on our Thanksgiving trip, provided we can get the ressies we want. And having the Cs place available, Mara, is always nice too.

So I would ask you which is your higher priority.

I am so glad that the OP asked this question. I just switched my Nov 2010 trip from OKW to AKV. I was offered either resort and chose Kidani. But then I worried that we would be far away from Mara etc. We don't mind a short walk. Thanks to all for the great answers.

I vote Kidani . . . matter of fact, I picked it for our next trip. Two bathrooms! If you want to go to Jambo House with all it's goodies, and don't feel like walking, hop on a bus-any bus but DTD! We stayed at Jambo a few years ago and know the restaurants and pool-fabulous. We toured Kidani in Feb. and the pool and water play area look great here too. And the 1br model we saw was amazing-best looking room I've seen at WDW (are they the same decor at Jambo?)

So what did you pick????

i just went to Animal Kingdom Kidani Village for the first time at the end of march...i bought there in November before ever staying there and was wondering if i made a mistake! I did not make a mistake, i LOVE this resort! I am use to staying at BWV , so that is why i was wondering if i made a mistake, because we love the walk to Epcot and everything at the BWV..... Animal Kingdom is really nice, but that is Kidani Village, i can't speak about Jambo House i have never stayed there. hope you like it!

I would pick Kidani because of the 2 bathrooms. If, as a family, you could easily have just one bathroom, well, then I would pick Jambo. I pick Jambo whenever we have a studio.

I prefer the hot tubs at Jambo, because they are sort of enclosed in foliage. Jambo has steam/sauna, Kidani doesn't. This is important to my DSis, she almost always uses those sort of facilities. We stayed in Kidani in March, she made the trip over to Jambo twice for those amenities.

Bobbi:goodvibes

We bought AKV's sight unseen and love it so much after 2 visits that we never want to stay anywhere else. WE have stayed at Jambo and Kidani and much prefer Kidani. I agree with the above post that you can hop on any bus other than DTD at Kidani and ride over to Jambo since they pick up at Kidani first. Or you can hop in your car and ride over and park. Your car is right under your room area in covered parking area. Our grandkids love the Kidani pool area and so do we. Also the Community Hall is nice, and only at Kidani. For a return ride to Kidani from Jambo you catch a DTD bus since it picks up at Jambo 1st.

Wow! Have been off the boards for a few days due to a heavy work schedule and now it seems like I have quite a bit of catching up to do. I am going to read each post and will reveal my choice in the next few days once i make the final decision to keep the original res or try to change.

Thank you ALL for your input, much appreciated:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter