AKL, is it worth it?

Thanks for your opinion! Was there any conventions going on while you were at CSR? I've heard a lot of complaints about CSR not feeling like a "vacation" when there is people in business suits and smoking everyone around the resort. I've heard many bad reviews of Pepper Market also. I know everyone is going to have their likes and dislikes..so I am going to take everything into consideration!
There are conventioneers at CSR. However, that kind of thing doesn't bother me a bit. I am there doing my own thing and you gotta know that they are jealous ;).

I also really LIKE the Pepper Market. We have eaten there over a dozen times. We were there a bunch of times under the old voucher program and then every since time we have the DDP. We think it has really good food for a great CS credit value. If you're NOT on the DDP it is too expensive. The upside of the PM is that you can get real food for the CS credit and not just burgers and fries. I'm talking about a FULL steak dinner or a grilled tuna steak with sides. They also have a Mexican station, a Chinese station and they have (IMO) the best pizza on Disney property. If you still want burgers and fries, they have that too. The downside (if you can call it that) is that just about everything is made fresh for you when you order it. So, it's not quick (like a value food court where everything is pre-made) and if you split up to different food stations you will receive your food at different times. The other thing that seems to honk people off is the added 10% gratuity because someone seats you and takes your drink order. That has never bothered me :confused3 and I like someone delivering my margarita.

I am one of those people that VIEW is so important to on vacation. I stress over the view. That being said, I did a split stay at BWI and AKL last summer.

I left the lush garden pool view of BWI and got the outstanding view at AKL SV - which was something off a battlefield. I mean it is the BEST view you can get at AK but it was just so opposite of BWI.I wouldn't have wanted to look at that view for a week. Animals, but dirt ground, barren, - just not ME.

That being said, DD loved it b/c of the animals so this summer I relented and am doing YC 5 nights with AKL 2 nights. I wouldn't stay here without kids - that is my opinion - rooms are smaller....bus for EVERYWHERE you go...We rent a car so we don't have the issue but I have heard from others AKL bus service not so hot. But if you are a TRUE animal lover and love the idea of spending a week in a zoo, this could be IDEAL for you. It was for DD~~~~~

Good Luck! I have stayed at CSR and the place is absolutely beautiful but it is my dream to stay at AKL.

I have stayed at both CSR and AKL, I enjoyed CSR it is a nice resort to walk around especially the lake at nite and I found the restaurant convient since you did not need ADR's, that all being said I missed not having a balconey to go out onto and relax. AKL I feel is worth the extra money because of the extras.....balconeys, ts restuarant (Boma which has a wonderful breakfast buffet), staying there is like being in another world, in fact I like AKL so much we are returning there this coming November for our vacation.

I've been at both CSR and AKL. Honestly, I like AKL better, but not by a landslide. We stayed at AKL last summer because of the 4/3 deal. It's a beautiful resort, even if you don't have a savannah view, there are plenty of areas for you to look out at the animals. If the price isn't much more, I would definitely splurge for AKL. We don't need to stay there again anytime soon, but we were really glad we tried it.

We love AKL. We becames DVC members 2 years ago. We stayed there our first time last year at Jambo House. Jambo House has a big beautiful lobby, take time to look at all the African Art they have throughout the lobby. The cultural representatives were wonderful. The firepit for storytelling was great for all ages. The animals are fun to look at, but, for me not the highlight of the trip.
Although some feel the resort is far away from everything, that is what I like. I know I'm at Disney, we are in the parks all day, I love the quietness of this resort and the seclusion. We did not have problems with the bus service. We have only eated at Mara and Boma. This year's trip we are on the Kidani side and we are trying Sanaa.
If you are the type or person that needs to be in the thick of Disney and close to everything, this might not be the spot for you. If you want a little bit of a laid back vacation, I would pick AKL!

Love that it is easy to get to Boma for a very early breakfast, love the animal viewing areas

Do not like the noise level, do not like the distance from all the fun of the parks and DTD

Our family usually like to be in the MK area at Poly or WL. But we just tried AKL the beginning of February and we loved it!! I was not sure if I would like it there because AK park is not our favorite. I thought everything about this resort was awesome. The lobby was amazing, the CM's were the best ever, the room was nicely decorated and clean :goodvibes. We had no issues at all with the bus service and never waited more than 10 minutes and always had a seat. The parks did not seem far too me and I'm an impatient girl from the north. Boma was delicious for dinner and the Mara is best counter service for a deluxe resort. The animals and the care takers were great too. I just loved the entire theme. So much for kids to do here. The pool was closed on our visit but was opening on our departure day. I have to say it looked like and amazing pool. We did use the hot tubs though which was nice. Well be staying here again for sure.

Haven't stayed at CSR, but loved our stay at AKL. We had a savanna view on Kudu trail. Beautiful resort, great food court, can get Zebra Domes there :thumbsup2, Boma is a fav of ours. Thought bus service was good.
Loved the evening cultural exchange, night time animal viewing with nightvision scopes, great pool & hot tubs.

I do think it's easier being in one building, don't have to worry about dashing to food court, restaurant or shop in the rain.
I know some say it's just as long a walk with the hallways, but it's relative.
I was almost at the end of Kudu trail and didn't think the walk excessive.
And in the heat or rain, I'd rather be walking down the hall. All the halls have big picture windows looking out to the savannas and beautiful art work.

Good luck. With the great discounts WDW has out now, with 40% off deluxe, I'd go for it.

AKL is absolutely beautiful, no question. My DH and I toured a number of resorts and overall the deluxes all seemed a lot more...well, deluxe than the mods! Everything at the Contemporary, Poly, GF and AKL just looked...nicer. I don't know how else to explain that because CSR and POFQ are lovely places to be, too. Also, every CM we dealt with at AKL was super nice.

Having said that, I loved CSR. The new rooms are beautiful, tasteful, and modern. The white, cotton bedding is great; no yucky polyester comforter like so many less expensive hotels still have. The beds were new and comfortable. Our room was very clean and I thought the resort was, as a whole, too.
As for the size of CSR, I just didn't think it was that big. I could see the frustration if you're out in the Ranchos section, which is the furthest from the food, but we stayed in Casitas and thought the walk to the food and the pool was manageable. Sure it would take a few minutes to walk to fill up our mugs, but honestly, ALL of the Disney resorts seem big so I'm not sure why people single out CSR. You are walking outside, which does have certain advantages. The grounds at CSR are one of its strengths, without question.
The bus service was fantastic. Our ride from the resort to any of the parks (particularly EPCOT) was very fast. Because CSR is a convention hotel, the buses aren't too crowded most of the time. Its also nice that the CSR bus is only for that resort; saves a lot of time!
The pool at CSR is really cool and the slide is fun. The hot tub is huge!
All in all, while I would love to stay at a deluxe I personally couldn't justify the price. Now, if I had the money and could do it without causing myself any undue financial harm, I'd stay deluxe in a second. But that's not the case right now, so... CSR was great and I would def. stay there again.

AKL is absolutely beautiful, no question. My DH and I toured a number of resorts and overall the deluxes all seemed a lot more...well, deluxe than the mods! Everything at the Contemporary, Poly, GF and AKL just looked...nicer. I don't know how else to explain that because CSR and POFQ are lovely places to be, too. Also, every CM we dealt with at AKL was super nice.

Having said that, I loved CSR. The new rooms are beautiful, tasteful, and modern. The white, cotton bedding is great; no yucky polyester comforter like so many less expensive hotels still have. The beds were new and comfortable. Our room was very clean and I thought the resort was, as a whole, too.
As for the size of CSR, I just didn't think it was that big. I could see the frustration if you're out in the Ranchos section, which is the furthest from the food, but we stayed in Casitas and thought the walk to the food and the pool was manageable. Sure it would take a few minutes to walk to fill up our mugs, but honestly, ALL of the Disney resorts seem big so I'm not sure why people single out CSR. You are walking outside, which does have certain advantages. The grounds at CSR are one of its strengths, without question.
The bus service was fantastic. Our ride from the resort to any of the parks (particularly EPCOT) was very fast. Because CSR is a convention hotel, the buses aren't too crowded most of the time. Its also nice that the CSR bus is only for that resort; saves a lot of time!
The pool at CSR is really cool and the slide is fun. The hot tub is huge!
All in all, while I would love to stay at a deluxe I personally couldn't justify the price. Now, if I had the money and could do it without causing myself any undue financial harm, I'd stay deluxe in a second. But that's not the case right now, so... CSR was great and I would def. stay there again.

Thanks for being honest, I'm leaning more towards staying with CSR!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter