AKL Guest Barred from Wanyama Safari??

dwicks4

Earning My Ears
I am in the process of purchasing rental points from a DVC Owner for a Studio Savannah View Room at Kidani Village (AKL resort). I've done tons of research on these boards about the Wanyama Safari (evening) which I understand is (now) available to all AKL guests. I know the Sunrise Safari is still restricted to only concierge guests...but this is not the case for the 3-hr sunset Wanyama Safari which includes the dinner at JIKO (by the way I also discovered thru these boards that on December 1, they are dropping the non-concierge price from $210/person to $170/person (don't know if they are dropping the concierge price from $150/person to something lower). I stumbled across a note that said on OCTOBER 27, WDW will be increasing their advance dinner reservation limit from 90 days in advance to 180 days in advance. I called the planning desk at AKL Wanyama Safari to ask if they were increasing their advanced reservation notice from 90 days to 180 days as well (she thinks it is still 90 days)...but her next comment floored me. She said if I was not a DVC OWNER I would not be able to go on the Wanyama Safari. I thought all registered guests at AKL were allowed to purchase a space for the Wanyama Safari. I'm a paying guest at AKL...what's the deal? Please tell me she is Cuckoo...:rotfl2:

Hum, interesting.

This would not surprize me though. Your not really a paying guest of AKL, at least your not paying AKL to stay there.

Hum, interesting.

This would not surprize me though. Your not really a paying guest of AKL, at least your not paying AKL to stay there.

What is disturbing to me, though, is that if you follow that logic...what else am I not allowed to do...use the pool? eat at the restaurants? participate in hotel activities? Park my car in the parking lot? I know that's getting a bit cynical, but I'm curious how they are "distinguishing" what type of guest I am.

Can't say for sure. Renters might indeed not be considered guests of the resort but guests of the member. Call back and ask someone else. Not sure if the safari is considered a DVC member perk or not.

You technically aren't paying to stay there. You are renting points from someone who has paid to stay there. I'm sure itd be different if you were paying cash for the AKV room.

It sounds totally wrong to me. I would ask your question on the DVC boards - more people will have experience with that. I do not know of that being a DVC member perk like the ones that are in the perks booklet they handout to DVC members when you check in, but since I never asked, I don't know that for sure.

What is disturbing to me, though, is that if you follow that logic...what else am I not allowed to do...use the pool? eat at the restaurants? participate in hotel activities? Park my car in the parking lot? I know that's getting a bit cynical, but I'm curious how they are "distinguishing" what type of guest I am.

I am in no way saying this is right. It really does suck, but I understand why disney would do it.

They would rather you pay them then the dvc owner.

Let us know how it goes, and Good luck.

I'm pretty sure if you rent and use DVC points you have all of the rights of a DVC owner while you are there

I'm pretty sure if you rent and use DVC points you have all of the rights of a DVC owner while you are there

That's what I would assume, too. Once I get my confirmation from the DVC owner I am working with this week, I will call them back and (hopefully) get a more informed CM. The one I was talking to on the phone didn't seem to know much. I posted over on the DVC site for the DVC owners to review...I'm sure there are some experts.

You are most definitely a guest.

Regardless of what financial arrangement you have made with the DVC member, anyone staying in a room who is also listed on the DVC reservation is a resort guest.

This is not correct. There are many perks that are extended to DVC members that are not extended to non-owners.

For instance, DVC owners get free internet access; non-members staying in a room booked by a DVC member have to pay a daily fee for internet usage.

Well, on the DVC member site it shows this.. The underlining is mine..

Wanyama Safari
Available to all Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge Guests, this three-hour safari-dinner adventure is a recreation of a true African afternoon game drive. Spend time with members from the Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge Animal Programs team to learn about the natural history and management of the animal collection. Enjoy incredible photo opportunities of the animals and the architecture of the Resort. Conclude the experience with a multi-course meal at Jiko — The Cooking Place. Subject to availability. Guests must be 8 years of age or older. For full details and to check pricing, times, and availability Guests should contact The Resort Concierge Itinerary Planning Office in advance of their stay at 407-938-4755.

Can't say for sure. Renters might indeed not be considered guests of the resort but guests of the member. Call back and ask someone else. Not sure if the safari is considered a DVC member perk or not.

Non-members paying a member for a reservation are not a guest of the member. They are renting a reservation for compensation. Thus no DVC member perks are afforded the non-member paying for a DVC reservation from a member.

A guest is considered a person staying with the member at the resort without compensation to the member. This comes from the Public Offering statement.

However, you are a guest of the resort.

When we went on the Wanyama Safari, I think my family were the only DVC members on it that night.

Anyway, I wonder if the problem was in making the reservation. Member services will not work with renters at all just the member. It could be that the CM you spoke with was following that rule. I do agree with trying again. If you still can't book it now, try again with the lobby conciergre once you arrive.

This is not true. If someone is a renter, the DVC owner must, by contract, disclose that at the time of the reservation. Perks which are specific to owners, of which there are many, are not supposed to be made available to renters.

Non-members paying a member for a reservation are not a guest of the member. They are renting a reservation for compensation. Thus no DVC member perks are afforded the non-member paying for a DVC reservation from a member.

However, you are a guest of the resort.

exactly.

a renter will not get DVC-specific perks like pool hopping and (sometimes) free internet. a renter does not have the right to call MS to change or even verify the reservation.

but any guest of the resort has access to the onsite perks like DME, EMH and free parking at the theme parks...as well as access to resort activities (except for those tours that are limited to concierge guests). i would definitely try again since this tour is arranged through the resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter