• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKL... Giant roach eek!

Just back from Jambo last Friday. DD took a picture of a huge Palmetto riding the elevator with her after a late night swim. Fortunately, didn't see any in our rooms-- 5401, 5402, and 5408.

The largest palmetto we saw at WDW last December was not at AKL but right in the lobby of the GF. I figured that we (people) weren't the only ones there to admire the life size gingerbread house! :scared1:

We saw one last year at the GF when we were dining inside the Grand Floridian Cafe. I guess lil' dude was looking for the arcade at Gasparilla's. :lmao:

So we just checked into AKL today... A beautiful 1 bedroom savanna view villa at Jambo House. Got back from the pool and there was a giant roach crawling up the wall. DH tried to "get it," but it got away. It freaked the heck out of our kids. I found another smaller one in our bedroom and got that one. Is this just a typical Florida critter thing, or should we ask for a room change tomorrow or something? Yuck. Not a big fan of bugs...

Needs pictures... popcorn::

larryz said:
Needs pictures... popcorn::

Lol! I'm not quick enough with the camera! Actually the little bugger was back tonite.... Crawling across the ceiling. I distracted the kids and got them into the bedroom before they saw it. DH is a lousy shot... He swears he wounded it, but it fell and scurried under the TV armoire! Ugh!! If you want something done you gotta do it yourself. Next time he comes out to play I am so going to get him!!

I live on the TX gulf coast, and they are terrible right now! I hate 'em too. They really seem to like hanging out in my bathroom. We haven't had very much rain past few months and I suppose they are coming in looking for water. Still give me the creeps!

It's not unusual for a palmetto bug to run in from the outside. They can also come in on water pipes, but they like to be gone before the lights come on. If I saw more than one, I'd definitely be calling for a room change. I've lived in FL for years, & I'd be freaked out if I saw one crawling on the ceiling in my home. More than one & I'd be calling the exterminator. IMHO, it's not common to have them climbing on walls or ceilings. I'm really surprised to see so many have been seen at AKL in places other than the ground floor.

PS: If anyone wants to see what they look like, take a walk along the lake at DTD. :scared1: There's thousands, probably even 100's of thousands. That's outside & by the water though. It's to be expected in Florida.

Lol! I'm not quick enough with the camera! Actually the little bugger was back tonite.... Crawling across the ceiling. I distracted the kids and got them into the bedroom before they saw it. DH is a lousy shot... He swears he wounded it, but it fell and scurried under the TV armoire! Ugh!! If you want something done you gotta do it yourself. Next time he comes out to play I am so going to get him!!

uugghh. I am from Charleston...they are all over the place...but I would have to change rooms if I were you. Enough is enough!
However, you don't seem to be scared...I would lose sleep! I am probably going to lose sleep just reading about it!;)

I guess we could ask for a change... The thought of packing everything up and moving is almost more disturbing than the bug though. And it was 10 pm when we saw it again... Right at the kids' bedtime. I have myself convinced it's the same bug... The thought of more than one roaming around is a little too much for me. Sigh... I guess I should call the front desk tomorrow, but we are planning to head to MK first thing in the morning...

So... I decided to call the front desk.... They were very nice and said that although this is Florida and the bugs are fairly common, they should not be in our room. They offered to move us to a new room tonite, but the kids are sound asleep, so they will move us first thing in the morning...

The Palmetto bug is actually the American cockroach. Not filth breeding at all (even though they aren't exactly a "clean" bug(, but more attracted to moisture and warmth. The tiny ones resemble German cockroaches when young, but German cockroaches have very, very distinct markings. I worked in pest control before law school, I learned more about bugs than I care to. You want to see something really disgusting? Asian cockroaches fly in swarms. Nasty.

Just in case it isn't a palmetto bug, make sure to wash your stuff good before you take it in your house. I work in home health, and the places that I have seen the worst bug problems you would never have a clue, they love to come out when its dark, that is prolly why you saw it later at night....

We will be at AKL in a few months and I def can't tell my mom about this thread! I can't wait, bugs or no bugs! Although, really prefer no bugs. :lmao:

Kelrykengab said:
We will be at AKL in a few months and I def can't tell my mom about this thread! I can't wait, bugs or no bugs! Although, really prefer no bugs. :lmao:

You are going to have a great time!! We are having a blast! The staff has been wonderful too. :)

Kelrykengab said:

You are going to have a great time!! We are having a blast! The staff has been wonderful too. :)

wdwfamilyinIL said:
Just in case it isn't a palmetto bug, make sure to wash your stuff good before you take it in your house. I work in home health, and the places that I have seen the worst bug problems you would never have a clue, they love to come out when its dark, that is prolly why you saw it later at night....

Will do! Good advice. Thanks!!

My mom lived in Miami for a few years...my first sighting of the Amazing Flying Cockroaches was late late at night while I was still on College Pacific Time (different from normal Pacific time, LOL) and watching TV...suddenly saw this small bird flying around with the ceiling fan. OK, I exaggerate, but still...it was large.

My mom was a total neatfreak, her house was always absolutely spotless, so it has nothing at all to do with cleanliness.

Little hint...if you see one again and if you need to kill it...and if you have hairspray, that worked for me. Seems they breathe through their shell, so if you put hairspray on them, it ultimately kills them. Since I can't really deal with squishing things, the hairspray worked.

Also keep your balcony door closed when using it, many guests seems to want to leave them open, which definitely allows those critters in.

A few years ago, my DD18, her BF19 and I were happily sitting in the hot tub at POR. This "bug" dropped out of the tree, landed on my daughters neck and then bit her!! She freaked out and flicked it off and it landed in the middle of the crowded hot tub, doing the backstroke. I told her that it was a cockroach (we are from western Canada) but a man cleared his throat and said, "This is Florida, dear. We do not have cockroaches, only Palmetto bugs! :rotfl:She is still traumatized by bugs. :scared1::scared1::scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter