AKL first-timer

Yellow Sub

Earning My Ears
My wife and kids (6 and 3) are going in August, and we're going to stay at AKL. This will be our second trip to WDW. Our first time we stayed at WL and loved it. We're hoping we like AKL as much (or even more).

Right now we're booked in a standard view room. My guess is it's worth it to get a savannah view. Has this been your experience?

Also, I'm a little worried about the distance to MK, Epcot, and DHS. Can you reassure me that bus service is fast?

Thanks DIS Board!

We've never had a standard view, but we've stayed in a pool view and savannah view and I thought the pool view was just as nice as the savannah view. Having a savannah view is nice if you want to sit on your balcony and watch the animals, but there are so many animal viewing areas around the lodge that, IMO, not having a savannah view room isn't going to make or break the trip. We also did not think the bus transportation was bad. AKL is kind of away from everything and it does take a few more minutes getting to/from the parks (with the exception of going to AK), but since the buses only service AKL and Kidani, it's really not as bad as what some make it out to be. We've also stayed at WL and we love the close proximity to MK, but we also loved our stays at AKL.

We've been staying at the AKL for our past 5 visits to the World. We always did the savannah view for the kids. They always enjoyed waking up and seeing the animals. It was cool for mom and dad too!!

This year they are a little older DS6 and DD9, we are doing the pool view to change it up a bit.

Last year, both my kids had a blast playing the pool games. Each afternoon, CM's play music and gather all he kids for scavenger hunts, braclet making, etc. Your oldest would probably enjoy this.

The pool is amazing. It's one of the biggest on property and plenty of room for the guests. Some of them are just too packed with people and you're bumping into other swimmers all the time.

The pool slide is fun too. Might be too much for your 3 year old but I've seen some pretty young kids go down it with mom or dad waiting for them at the bottom.

With all that being said, we've never stayed at AKL WITHOUT a rental car. Obviously, it super close to the AK Park but not walking distance.

You will be relying on disney transportation which I can't speak for from the AKL. Have used it countless times while staying at other resorts but after we rented one for the first time after having kids, it's just so convenient.

We like to waste as little time as possible so a rental is a must with us.

You'd be surprised how close everything really is in Disney and the buses make it seem much bigger.

Good luck..

We are also from Illinois, and love AKL. We have stayed both savannah and standard and would not pay the extra for the savannah. There are so many viewing places, and no matter where your room is, you are never far from an animal viewing area. Maybe you will get lucky and get an upgrade, and I know some will say they wouldn't stay at AKL without a savannah view, but I would gladly stay there even if I overlooked the parking lot ( and we have and it wasn't that bad!) The resort is amazing and you feel disconnected from the parks but in a good way, and we have always found the bus service very efficient.

We are staying at AKL in August too for the first time. Can't wait!!! A dumb question- can you get into the pool normally or is a secure pool? Also- we got a poolview room. Is it easy to get to the pool from rooms?

I have stayed in all three categories: Savannah, Pool and Standard and had a great trip each time. Yes, Savannah is nice, but there really are plenty of viewing spots all around the resort so if you can't swing the extra expense you will still enjoy the resort. Since you are concernced about the view, why not upgrade for a little bit extra and get a pool view? Otherwise, the standard views are not bad, you may get a parking lot view, but unless you plan to spend lots of time out on the balcony, you can make it work. AKL is my happy place and I hope youhave a wonderful trip.

We stayed at AKL in a savannah view young with our two boys ages 4 and 2 and I must admit, how often can you drink your morning coffee while watching zebras and giraffes. It was definitely magical. We rented a car as the distance from DD and MK was long, especially at night on those buses. Plus, if you go out the back road, there are a few grocery stores and a super Target nearby. Great way to stock up on snacks and drinks if you aren't driving.

We stayed at AKL in a savannah view young with our two boys ages 4 and 2 and I must admit, how often can you drink your morning coffee while watching zebras and giraffes. It was definitely magical. We rented a car as the distance from DD and MK was long, especially at night on those buses. Plus, if you go out the back road, there are a few grocery stores and a super Target nearby. Great way to stock up on snacks and drinks if you aren't driving.

Hi all!

We are also doing AKL for the first time in July. Can anyone confirm that all Club/Concierge level rooms are either savannah or pool view (meaning no standard view)?

Also, we have asked for 2 adjacent rooms with a connecting interior door (with Club/Concierge). Has anyone stayed in this situation at AKL? Are there many sets of rooms like this? Where are they?

It's reassuring to hear the pool is nice, large and not crowded. We usually do BC, and my boys are worried about missing that pool!

Thanks so much!

Jane

We LOVE AKL!! We have stayed at both pool and savannah view. I will say that we enjoyed both views. However, as PPs have said, not having a savannah view will not make or break your trip. There are plenty of viewing areas throughout the resorts so you won't be missing out. If you can upgrade I probably would do it since it is your first time at the resort and your kids would think it was the coolest thing that they can see animals from their room. However, don't feel like you are missing out on anything if you don't upgrade. You will have a great vacation either way! :)

Hi all!

We are also doing AKL for the first time in July. Can anyone confirm that all Club/Concierge level rooms are either savannah or pool view (meaning no standard view)?

Also, we have asked for 2 adjacent rooms with a connecting interior door (with Club/Concierge). Has anyone stayed in this situation at AKL? Are there many sets of rooms like this? Where are they?

It's reassuring to hear the pool is nice, large and not crowded. We usually do BC, and my boys are worried about missing that pool!

Thanks so much!

Jane
popcorn:: I would love to know the answer too!

we stayed at AKL approx 2 weeks ago for a week and loved it. We mostly drove to the parks and to eat and nothing was really that far. We did use disney transportation a couple of times and never waited on a bus more than 5-10min. We stayed in a value studio - pool view room and really lived the location there.

We stay pool view each time and love it. We don't find the transportation to be bad at all. We have never waited more than 15 minutes for a bus but the average was about 10. We didn't find that the bus ride was that long. We have two small kids so patience wears thin sometimes and we have never felt like the buses were too long of a ride. The only ride that takes a little longer is MK but that is to be expected since it's farther away in general.

:thumbsup2

We stayed at AKL last spring for the first time. We did CL, which was 3rd floor (I believe) and guaranteed SV.

This was a wonderful trip, and we've been a lot. I am not an animal person per se, but waking up and seeing the animals so close to your balcony was AMAZING. It's what made the resort special for me.

I, too, was worried about the bus service, especially since we usually stay YC/BC. It definitely was different, but surprisingly efficient. Nothing was awful. Of course, we aren't shy about taking a cab if we are tired or at a resort for dinner.

AKL is awesome. I'd do it again in a hearbeat. There are plenty of viewing areas, but if you can afford it, waking up with kids and having them excitedly spot a zebra or giraffe from your balcony can't be beat.

We're heading to AKL in 2 weeks for our second time & we definitely wouldn't book anything but a savanna view room. Yes there's lots of viewing areas, but those areas were very, very crowded most times. We thoroughly enjoyed sitting on the balcony, relaxing and watching the animals and the world roll by. The pool area was quite noisy during the times we visited it, so I'm glad we didn't have a pool view room. This time we tried for CL room, but there was none available for our time frame - maybe next time. We've never had any issues with WDW transportation at any of the resorts, except for POP. :goodvibes

Everyone have fun...........Elynn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter