AKL complaints (long)

Bravo! Great post.

While I have not stayed at AKL. I hope to in the future. Whether or not this park is for me, who knows until I stay there.

I think it's good to know ahead what the complaints are though. I find your responses well thought out. Are we looking for the Magic of Disney, then maybe we should stay closer to the Parks. If were looking for Disney's Theming of an African Savanna then expect to be isolated from the rest of the parks.

I am a HUGE AKL fan!

I think the transportation is one of the best things about this resort!

One Friday in Oct (while it was still very hot in FL), our pump for the AC in our building broke and it wasn't to be fixed until the Monday. I am the condo president and what a nightmare this was!
I called my Dh at work (it was about 4:30) and said "let's go over to my mom's for the weekend". He said, "I have a better idea. Let's go to WDW!" The only thing I could get was $99 at ASSp.

Well, I made the reservations and we checked in that night!
As I was unpacking in our room at ASSp (after an exhausting day), I was SO HAPPY!!!! I was at WDW! It didn't mater what resort we were at. By the way, the transportation from here was great!

Wow I hadnt checked the board for awhile since I just got back from disney in december. However when I did I was surprised.
I almost feel like I have been attacked by every mouse loving folk on here.

Original Post: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=302697

What is the deal? If you dont come home wearing mouse ears and singing the praises of WDW you are called a complainer who is petty and didnt to her research. I did do my research. I never thought being in an isolated area would be a problem until I realized I really didnt love the food, or when I needed things the hotel didnt carry. There were some good things I listed in my post as well.

When I wrote my original post I was trying to share the good and bad. Just as a mom with a small child. This was my take.

I never said anything about bus transportation from AKL to WDW because I had a rental car. I would never consider being trapped at a park waiting for a bus. What if my son decided he was overtired or just got sick or something.

I just felt like there were a lot of beautiful off site resorts that were pretty much just as close, for the same amount of money if not less. AKL is open if you want to spend the day or evening there. You can enjoy much of its charm without this being the place that you sleep in.

Some people say that they love eating somewhere new every nite while at disney. However I was there with my son who isnt always up for it after being at the parks. Maybe just maybe someone will be glad I spent my time sharing. I just thought that another mommy might be glad to hear my point of view.

Could some mommies with younger children please post their opinions?

latenthart-I did read your orginal post about your stay at the AK as well as this thread. You do have a right to your own opion which is neither petty nor did it mean you did not know enough before you stayed there. I am a mom of two, a daughter age 3 and a son age 7. I would love to stay at the AK, but I do have the same concerns. My children love to eat and they are not up to trying new foods. Then again, neither am I:D . That is one of the reasons for my decision not to stay at the AK at this time. It is hard to be on vacation and go on the hunt for food. Sometimes you never really know about anything until you go, which is what you did and your experience was not as good as some of the others.

We just returned from AKL and loved it. My ds is 4 and dd is 7. My DH can be a picky eater. Everyone was thrilled with the entire resort including the food. I don't understand the comments about there not being food for the kids. Boma has a kids buffet with the usual kids fare i.e. mac & cheese, chicken nuggets, pizza, fruit, etc. Mara has many regular and exotic choices with superb quick service. Kids can get the usual food at Mara i.e., chicken fingers with fries, a hamburger, hot dog, cheese pizza, etc. The pool was fabulous....warm, large, zero depth entry, pool games, a slide opening ceremony for the kids. The transportation was the best of any Disney resort we ever stayed at. We never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus. We enjoyed the wide varieyt of activities especially storytelling, cookie decorating and family animal trivia. The CM's were extremely accomodating. They bent over backwards to meet any request. We were given a complimentary upgrade from a standard room to pool view which met all my requests (bunk beds, quiet room, non-smoking). I can't say enough about AKL!:bounce:

We love AKL and I can see where it may be awkward for some families. Why, because it's not close to MK and when we took our kids to DW for the first time they thought DW meant MK-they had no idea of other stuff so they wanted to go to MK all the time.

I'm sure some families who check in to AKL feel like they are out in the middle of nowhere and I'm sure some families love this and others hate it.

We would proabably not have gone to AKL on our first visit to DW with kids because it would seem like they were far away from all the action.

A lot of people think of DW as just MK and the immediate surroundings.

I can also see where the food may be a small problem for some families. Even though they do offer all the standard fare some people probably do go there not knowing that a lot of the food they offer is true AfricaAsian cuisine.

DH and I stayed at AKL for our honeymoon last July. It was amazing. We got a surprise at check-in, and had a Savannah view room (we booked a standard with a code). I completely fell in love with the resort, and look forward to being able to stay there again.

BUT...we are currently planning a family trip which includes 6 adults and one toddler. One adult will have to travel to Orlando for a conference, and another will be golfing as much as possible. While we will have to visit the AKL at least to have dinner at Boma, we aren't even considering staying there...because of the reasons listed in this thread.

There would be too many logistical problems, even with two rental cars. Aunt will have one to take to her conference, and FIL will drive to wherever he is golfing. With a toddler, we don't want to deal with the distance and the bus system (as much as we can avoid it). We are really only looking at MK and Epcot resorts.

I don't think anyone here was whining, or anti-Disney. If I hadn't already been to AKL, I would have needed to hear things like the OP posted to make an informed decision about what would be right for my upcoming trip.

We stayed in the Lodge last September with just turned 2 year old twins. who are still talking about the resort on an almost daily basis. ....It was by far more magical for them than being dragged through the parks. Every morning as soon as they awoke the first order of the day was to sit on the balcony and watch the animals.And I may add the last order of the day as well. We have been many times and they also stayed at Beach club that trip,as well and used stormalong bay and loved it. But you know what they want to do again go back to thier hotel. thats the impression this hotel left for us, They ask constantly when are we going back to our Hotel? It was worth every penny. AND i WOULD ENDORSE THIS PROPERTY WITH YOUNG CHILDREN WHOLEHEARTEDLY......

Well stated currycook! It amazes me how many people do not do any research at all. I am a TA and believe me, there are more people who look for things to complain about than there are happy people. I find when I am explaining something or describing a location, people go into "auto pilot" and space out and they are not listening to what you are saying thaaey only hear what they wish to hear.

Just an example - I recently booked a woman on a cruise to Alaska. I made many phone calls, got her lots of perks and a great price. I told her the ship will be leaving from Vancouver, and she will be spending the night before the cruise in a beautiful waterfront hotel......She told me how excited she is because she will be able to see San Francisco for a day. She was also concerned because the ship sets sail in May and the Glaciers and Icebergs will be melted by then .................... I deal with this on a daily basis....its not even funny.

It amazes me that in this day and age, with a computer at hand where you have a world of knowledge at your fingertips this still goes on. Instead of writing out your frustrations after being disappointed on a trip......research what your needs are before going on that trip. Everyone involved will be so much happier.

Really enjoyed your comments, Currycook and everyone else's!

I changed my plans to AKL a couple of weeks ago from CBR and have gone from settling on CBR to truly being excited!

I was leary of the tranportation initially. But it's all about putting things in perspective. At CBR there could be 6!!! stops before finally heading to the parks or getting to your stop on the way home. When at W/L had to go to Ft. Wilderness before getting on the way to parks and that was a long out of the way side trip. Even at BWI last year, it was a pain with sharing transport with Swan Dolphin, Yacht Club and Beachclub. So I don't have concerns now on tranportation. Sure sometimes it's luck of the draw and you might have to wait what seems like too long for a bus but that happens with every resort!

Anyway, you AKLodge lovers, keep posting cause I'm lovin this!!!
And if you're not on the lovin it side, I do appreciate your comments/experiences too. That's what we're all here for.
Sharon

Animal Kingdom Lodge is mine and DH's favorite resort on property! I just love everything about it from the Savannah view each morning to the Zero Depth entry pool! My kids love the playground, the kiddie pool, the arcade, watching the animals in the morning while they eat their breakfast on the balcony! It is just truly magical to us and we can't wait to get back there! :)

Variety is the spice of life!!! If we all loved the same resort, it would always be booked! :)

This has been an interesting thread. I must say that I'm in latenthart's camp with similar reactions to all the points she made about the AKL--and I'll add one more: the rooms are dimly lit. Not that that's a bad thing and I'm sure it's because the room looks out on the "savannah," but it's another detail not to our liking.

Overall we now know that the AKL is not a place we enjoy staying, but it is a beautiful resort and we do make a point that every trip to WDW we have dinner at BOMA and spend and evening there. We find that that's sufficient time for us to enjoy all the things we find attractive about the AKL.

(Just my 2 cents) :cool:

The pool is too small? I think it's bigger than the ones at the Polynesian, Boardwalk and Grand Floridian.

Originally posted by currycook
1) Complaint: “The ALK is in the middle of no where”.
Depending on you prespective, I like that is in the middle of nowhere like a true Safari Lodge should be. And please consider the Animals and their support systems. There's a reason it has to be by Animal Kingdom. Doh!

2) Complaint: “Transportation – it takes longer to get to MK, MGM and EPCOT”.
AKL has excellent transportation. Yes, it doesnt have boat or monorail, so what? AKL transportation isn't shared like the WL etc. which is a good thing!

3) Complaint: “Disney charges $6. for valet parking or I have to walk to my car”.
Why is this a problem? Valet at WDW means more than someone parking and fetching your car.
You also receive free valet service at any other valet location in WDW for the day. (Make sure you grab your valet tag before you leave). Based on some of the hotels Ive stayed where you pay to park your car, $6 is not reasonable asking price.

4) Complaint: “The food at the ALK”.
Food is Food and one shouldn't be surprised when they served a majority of African/Asian food. There is plenty for the non-adventurous too. You can always eat offsite if the foods not up to liking. Theres a McDonalds down the road and the All-Stars are near by should you need a fast food fix! In short, Expect Different!

5) Complaint: “Its costly”.
Yes but relative to other WDW Deluxe, it is one of the cheaper options (the other is WL) Because you are staying at a Deluxe one should expect Deluxe prices with Deluxe services.

6). Complaint: “The Pool”.
How is this bad? Zero-level entry and it is big enough! This could oly be a problem to people who've had better ala Stormalong bay etc.

One complaint that is missing is the Insects! These boards were rampant with threads on insect stings and bites when the resort first opened. Seems all that noise had died down with time.

I like AKL and while I still can afford to stay there, I will. People have the right to choose and say anything they like especially when it comes to how there hard-earned money is spent. My advice to thos planning to stay at the AKL, as with all WDW resorts, is:

(a) Do your homework - Learn about cost, services, amenities etc. There is alot for guests to do at the AKL. You really can stay here without visiting the Parks, if you know whats available to you, where and when.
(b) It is human nature to complain not praise. Think for every bad review, there are two good ones you're not hearing about!
(c) Remember the theme - You're in a Safari Lodge. Most of the CMs are native African. There is African Art. There is some African/Asian Food. Some African customs and culture maybe observed during your stay. Animal roam outside.

If you remember the theme and do you homework, there shouldn't be any surprises for you at AKL.

I'm sorry, I've already forgotten her name- but please don't feel that all the mouseketeers are ganging up on you. I think your view of AKL was honest and forthright- nothing wrong with that. I will tell you that once you stay on-site more and more you start to accept the little "negatives" and enjoy the uniqueness of each one. My husband really enjoyed AKL- mostly because it was such a non-hassle for transportation as compared to staying at a suite in Kissimmee somewhere- he LOVED this aspect- we never knew it was farther out- and with children ages 6,3&2 we were so happy to get the rest on the bus after folding two strollers and making sure all the little ones were seated.
I think keeping in perspective this was her first time on-site really adds validity to her concerns. Many said well it's that way at all the resorts- but she had never stayed at any so that's not a fair counter. I liked seeing the animals- but unfortunately when we stayed in September there was some black bug that apparently was at its height in mating rituals- everytime you stepped out on the balcony a swarm of these black things hit you in the face and there were hundreds all over the place- our little kids did not like this so much.
I was not impressed by Mara- the PBJ's were too thick for my kids to eat- and the bread was stale. We never ate at Boma's or the other one because just the smell told us we would not like it- we're real basic when it comes to food- salt, pepper and garlic are about as exotic as we go:) Would I stay there again? Probably not, only because there are 15 other resorts we'd like to try- and I doubt we'll be at Disney more than 15 times in our lifetime- would love to - just would like to see Europe/Australia/and other lands. So sweetie don't feel like you're being disloyal to the old mickey by expressing your feelings- they are very helpful for others- I don't not like AKL, I just am not ga-ga in love with it- oh also had an extremely rude CM at the onset of stay that put a bitter taste in my mouth- thank goodness everyone after that were completely outstanding- even one of the CM's overheard his comments and was outraged- and said they would inform the manager. But when it's your first taste of a resort- it takes a lot of make-up to erase it!
If you stay on-site again, I'd love to hear your report!
Tara

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter