• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKL club level for one night?

Ceryssa

DIS Veteran
We have one night at AKL in November before we check into another hotel for the rest of our stay. We fly in at 8:30 am, and I'm planning on using that day to spend at the resort and really experience it, so we'll have almost a full 24 hours there. Since we aren't leaving the resort, I thought it might be a nice treat to upgrade to club level, as we've never done it and we'll be around to actually use it. We're currently booked in a standard room, so it would be about $200 to upgrade I think (if my math is right). We'll have to eat either way, but I'm wondering if the lounge snacks are enough to make meals of, or if we're going to need to pay OOP for breakfast lunch and dinner, too? My kids and I can snack all day and be fine, but my husband likes a more substantial meal. Would I be better off to stick with the standard room and eat at Boma and Mara? We do drink, so the alcohol in the lounge would be a benefit, in case affects any advice you have. I just don't have any experience with staying club level so I'm not sure what to plan for as far as food.

AKL has some seriously amazing CL staff. If it's in budget, I'd say to go for the splurge. You could definitely do breakfast in the lounge. I'm a snacker too and I know I could make a lunch out of just about anything. I'd try to do boma for dinner though if you have never been. It's fantastic.

I think the price will be the same regardless, by the time we do dinner at Boma, order a few drinks, and eat breakfast (possibly twice) and lunch. I mean that's close to $200 right there. We have done Boma, we ate there last year and LOVED it. I'm not sure I want to do it on top of CL though...we might split a couple QS meals for lunch since it seems like the food is lightest that time of day, and maybe something similar at dinner. I don't know, I can't decide. I'm so indecisive. And it's not like either option's a terrible choice lol. Which I guess is a good thing!

Actually you get all lounge access until midnight when you check out, so you would actually get 2 days of use. That's a tough call. The food is not substantial. We normally do apps at night and go get a sandwich or flat bread from the Mara. Although a couple of times we really liked the hot apps and didn't want anything else. There's no lunch to speak of except cookies and nut mix. But for $50/per person you would get breakfast and evening apps. Beer and wine are available anytime if you ask, but they only put it out from 5-7. Cordials are served from 8-10 along with desserts. Plus unlimited soda, milk, juice and coffee (it's a wonderful nepresso machine, so really good coffee) Also all CL rooms are Arusha Savanah rooms, that's the best one, so it's a huge upgrade view wise. Might be worth it if you are just hanging out all day.

1. Never pay for "club level" at wdw...it's a bad deal.
2. If you are at akl (which is probably the best hotel Disney has ever built without bias)...do the restaurants and the pool bars and what you save in the room rate will pay for a big chunk of it.

If you've gone to boma...Jiko and Sanaa are highly recommended.

Jiko has a strong case as the best restaurant on property if you exclude V&As

I think the price will be the same regardless, by the time we do dinner at Boma, order a few drinks, and eat breakfast (possibly twice) and lunch. I mean that's close to $200 right there. We have done Boma, we ate there last year and LOVED it. I'm not sure I want to do it on top of CL though...we might split a couple QS meals for lunch since it seems like the food is lightest that time of day, and maybe something similar at dinner. I don't know, I can't decide. I'm so indecisive. And it's not like either option's a terrible choice lol. Which I guess is a good thing!

We've done resort-only days at AKL and we've also stayed CL. Our family includes two teen boys, so CL is often a worthwhile investment! Here's what we've learned:

1. For a resort day, we love lunch at Sanaa. It's a nice walk over to Kidani and a fun/interesting lunch. Especially with CL and a resort day, it's nice to have a more substantial lunch in the middle of the day. We brought along our pool stuff and used the Kidani locker rooms to change - then spent the afternoon at the Kidani pool (which, at least at the time, was available to AKL guests!)

2. Boma and CL do not mix for us, even with hungry teen boys! So in the future, dinner will be either Mara or Jiko (where we can order appetizers instead of full entrees.)

3. One night CL is often a great value for us, especially if we arrive early enough to have two breakfasts in the club lounge and leave late enough to enjoy two nights of evening appetizers.

AKL is great for a resort day and CL there was an added benefit. When we assess the value of CL for our family of five (although we've stayed at AKL when my husband does not travel with us) it's not only about the dollar value of each item we eat and drink. We factor in the quieter atmosphere of the lounge, the convenience of starting breakfast at different times for kids of different ages, the social hour our youngest enjoys in the kids' area with non-sibling guests, and the extra space for down time (especially at resorts like AKL where the rooms are a bit smaller.) I vote for the upgrade!

Actually you get all lounge access until midnight when you check out, so you would actually get 2 days of use. That's a tough call. The food is not substantial. We normally do apps at night and go get a sandwich or flat bread from the Mara. Although a couple of times we really liked the hot apps and didn't want anything else. There's no lunch to speak of except cookies and nut mix. But for $50/per person you would get breakfast and evening apps. Beer and wine are available anytime if you ask, but they only put it out from 5-7. Cordials are served from 8-10 along with desserts. Plus unlimited soda, milk, juice and coffee (it's a wonderful nepresso machine, so really good coffee) Also all CL rooms are Arusha Savanah rooms, that's the best one, so it's a huge upgrade view wise. Might be worth it if you are just hanging out all day.
Yeah lunch is the one I'm primarily worried about, but we'll likely be at the pool around that time anyway, so no big deal to grab something there. We're doing AK the next day so we won't be around all day, just probably breakfast time. I did think about the view upgrade that comes with it.

1. Never pay for "club level" at wdw...it's a bad deal.
2. If you are at akl (which is probably the best hotel Disney has ever built without bias)...do the restaurants and the pool bars and what you save in the room rate will pay for a big chunk of it.

If you've gone to boma...Jiko and Sanaa are highly recommended.

Jiko has a strong case as the best restaurant on property if you exclude V&As
I should add, I'll only upgrade if a discount comes out that includes the CL rooms. Rack rate is not happening, I refuse to pay for it lol. If they don't have any with the discount, oh well.
I'm strongly considering Jiko. Even if we don't order a full meal. Actually if we do end up in club level that's definitely what we'll do, since there won't really be any sense in doing a buffet...

Oh and CL now has a chef that prepares the hot apps right in front of you. Most of the time they seem to be from Jiko. If not they'll be from Boma. The desserts are also from those two restaurants. I agree don't do Boma with CL. Also know you could easily hop over to AKL after your AK day and grab some apps and wine or beer!

We've done resort-only days at AKL and we've also stayed CL. Our family includes two teen boys, so CL is often a worthwhile investment! Here's what we've learned:

1. For a resort day, we love lunch at Sanaa. It's a nice walk over to Kidani and a fun/interesting lunch. Especially with CL and a resort day, it's nice to have a more substantial lunch in the middle of the day. We brought along our pool stuff and used the Kidani locker rooms to change - then spent the afternoon at the Kidani pool (which, at least at the time, was available to AKL guests!)

2. Boma and CL do not mix for us, even with hungry teen boys! So in the future, dinner will be either Mara or Jiko (where we can order appetizers instead of full entrees.)

3. One night CL is often a great value for us, especially if we arrive early enough to have two breakfasts in the club lounge and leave late enough to enjoy two nights of evening appetizers.

AKL is great for a resort day and CL there was an added benefit. When we assess the value of CL for our family of five (although we've stayed at AKL when my husband does not travel with us) it's not only about the dollar value of each item we eat and drink. We factor in the quieter atmosphere of the lounge, the convenience of starting breakfast at different times for kids of different ages, the social hour our youngest enjoys in the kids' area with non-sibling guests, and the extra space for down time (especially at resorts like AKL where the rooms are a bit smaller.) I vote for the upgrade!
I've heard really good things about the bread service at Sanaa. The only reason I hesitate on that one is I've heard the food isn't really very authentic? We have very good Indian food here so I worried we'd be disappointed. Still, it's on my list of possibilities. From what I understand the pool at Kidani is still available for AKL guest use, so this plan would actually work out very well for us since I have one that would love the splash area and one that would love the slide.

We'll be at AK the next day, so maybe we could come back after the park and hit the lounge again? I suppose there's no real hurry to get to YC.

I'm unfamiliar with the social hour and the kids area you're referring to? Is this in the lounge? I do think the extra space of the lounge would be nice.

At AKL CL there's a kid section with their own tables and chairs and a TV that only plays Disney Channel. My DD6 loves this area too. We sometimes bring some toys up and all the kids sit around and play together. They used to have a kids appetizer section but that has recently been taken away.

Wait, so I can sit in the lounge and eat and drink while my kids are entertained? Okay I think I'm pretty much sold LOL.

At AKL CL there's a kid section with their own tables and chairs and a TV that only plays Disney Channel. My DD6 loves this area too. We sometimes bring some toys up and all the kids sit around and play together. They used to have a kids appetizer section but that has recently been taken away.

This! And I call this "social hour" because our youngest son is very social and always makes friends in the kids' areas of the club lounges. So at least in our case, the teens and adults can have some relaxing down time while the little one socializes. There are times when he would prefer to stay with his new friends in the lounge over going to the parks. :)

That sounds great! I think I'm convinced ;) Now I just have to wait and see what comes out discount-wise. I hate this part lol.

We did CL a couple of years ago. The food is not a meal replacement except for possibly breakfast. For $200 you can get a fantastic meal at Jiko or Sanaa and probably have something left over. So, I would skip it. There's nothing you can get at CL you can't get (for a price) somewhere else in the resort.

If you are going to be around the resort for the day, club level is a very nice option. It's enjoyable to relax in the lounge and enjoy the food and drinks. Sometimes just lingering over coffee in the morning, soda or lemonade in the afternoon and a drink in the evening feels like pampering. I would do this when we stay club level and would also take something back to the room to enjoy on the balcony. Its not just the food and drinks but the feeling of a luxury splurge that enhances a trip.

When we travelled to Disney years ago we spent a great deal of time in the parks so club level was not a good value because we were on the go constantly. On more recent trips, we go at a slower pace and enjoy the resort amenities more so club level just adds a degree of luxury. We've stayed at BWI, Yacht Club, Beach Club, GF Royal Palm and Poly club levels. Have never stayed at AKL club level but it does sound nice.

I did CL for the first time in October as a treat for my mother.... I found it to be awesome with a young child. I think that if you have young kids that can be weird about food - it's a life saver. Given that it's only one night, I think it would be a nice splurge. I don't think it's really a meal replacement for lunch or dinner if you are a big eater but if you have a large lunch at Sanaa or Boma - I think that apps & dessert are adequate for dinner. You could always supplement with something at Mara for hubby.

I've only done CL once and it was at AKL. We had a great experience, and the food was really good for snacks, but it was more along the lines of an appetizer before dinner. (We usually had drinks and snacks and then went to dinner after.) This was a few years back, though, so I am sure things have changed since then. :) Have fun whatever you decide!

Thanks so much for all the input! Still haven't decided 100% what we're going to do, but definitely got the info I was looking for from your responses. Really appreciate the insight! :)

So we are on the topic of CL, we are heading out on Sunday and arriving there on Sunday. I have thought about doing an upgrade (we upgraded our cruise to a CL suite and LOVED it but we were also on a boat and not in a resort) ....what is the option of upgradeing if you ask when you check in, or is this something that has to be done ahead of time? (on the cruise we went to the supervisors desk and they showed us what was available for upgrade)....thanks for the info!

That lounge at AKL is the best! The area set aside for children is definately well thought out, and I found that the entire room was comfortable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter