• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Akershus or Garden Grill?

MyThreeKids123

Earning My Ears
Trying to decide between these two for our Epcot day. Akershus looks fun, but the food looks a little better at Garden Grill. Anyone eaten at both places and can offer an suggestion? Thanks :)

We have eaten at Akershus for breakfast and it was wonderful. Never eaten there for lunch but you will get to see a lot of princess if you choose this restaurant. This is a great choice for a little princess.
We have eaten dinner at the Garden Grill and really enjoyed the meal. It was family style with a lot of food grown in EPCOT. The loved the characters mickey, pluto, chip and dale it their farmer outfits. Really depends on your children.;)

We just came back from vacation, but we have eaten at both several times.

As nice as the Princesses are to visit with in Akershus, they dont stay too long, enough to sign and autograph and take a picture. The food and the interaction with the characters was much better at the Garden Grill. Chip and Dale, Mickey and Pluto spent A LOT of time at our tables and came around 3 times and stopped each and everytime to act goofy or give a hug or hi-five! Chip and Dale were also goofing around calling each other nuts in sign language, and made my daughter laugh and laugh. The food was delicious, I really enjoyed the big family style salad and we actually ordered more of the turkey and the rice (which came under the Mahi-Mahi).

The food at Akershaus was tasty, I had the chicken, but I prefer the Garden Grill for the atmosphere and character interaction.

We've eaten at both multiple times. If your child loves Princesses, Akershus is the way to go. Even though the menu may look a little strange at first glance, it is really very "Normal" food.

I like the mustard glazed salmon. My husband gets the tradtional Norwegian Meal. It's very similar to a large swedish meatball over mashed potatoes. They also have grilled chicken for picky eaters.

The salad bar is also a big hit.

I also like the food at Garden Grill. These are 2 very different character meals, but I think you could have a very good time and a very nice meal at either place.

We really enjoyed Ashkershus for breakfast. My daughters loved the princesses, Snow White kept trying to convince my older daughter that she should meet Doc, since they are both quiet and wear glasses. She kept giggling which is great to see in my very serious older daughter. She had her carry her flowers during the parade and held my younger daughter's hand as they walked around. The food was very good too, yummy berries, pastries and bagels w/lox and the potato casserole was excellent, along with the eggs, bacon, sausage they bring to the table. It's very pretty too. My daughter's also really like the picture with Belle that is included - if you have daughters I'd really try to do it at least once.

We enjoy both quite a bit. We've had great character interactions and both and great food at both. It really comes down to which characters do you want to see and looking over the menu at Garden Grill, does it look like there's something there that everybody in your party will eat? GG has a limitted menu while Akershus has a wide variety (and as graceesmom said, it may have weird names but it really isn't unusual food). If the food at GG looks good to you then go with whichever characters you want to see. At Akershus you should be ablet to find something for just about any taste. The biggest complaint I read about GG is about the limitted offerings and not finding something an individual in the party will eat.

Akershus is one of our favourite restaurants so if I can find similar ADRs for both I'd choose Akershus. Otherwise I'd just choose the one that has the better ADR available for my schedule since we do like the food at both as well as the characters at both.

We haven't been to Garden Grill, but we ate at Akershus in Nov for the first time for dinner. My DD (5) loved seeing the characters and the little parade around the restaurant was great. I had the salmon and it was one of the best meals I had at Disney. I can't wait to go back to have it again! Yum!!

Never been to Akurshus but have 2DS, so they aren't into the princesses so much. But have been to Garden Grill and vow to go back every trip. I was originally on the fence after reading more than a few negative reviews, but character interaction was great and I thought the food was very good. I should say, however, that Garden Grill got put in the rotation after our favorite character dining restaurant (Liberty Tree Tavern) ceased to be character dining.

A question for those of you who have eaten at Garden Grill! I would like to go for my own birthday in December and was wondering, are all tables seated at the window so everyone can see as the place rotates or are there tables in the center as well? Thanks! :goodvibes

A question for those of you who have eaten at Garden Grill! I would like to go for my own birthday in December and was wondering, are all tables seated at the window so everyone can see as the place rotates or are there tables in the center as well? Thanks! :goodvibes

I'm not really understanding your question. There aren't any windows in this restaurant. It is basically a center service portion which rotates in a circle.

Everyone can see: there is a lower level of tables and a higher level, but it all rotates. It's a big, turning circle of tables.

During an average dining time, you should make 1 full revolution in the restaurant.

We've done both, and enjoyed both, but the one we're going back to on our next trip is Garden Grill. Decent food, fun atmosphere. When making your decision, consider the different characters at each place. Akershus has princesses, GG has Mickey, Chip & Dale and Pluto (when we went). Have a fantastic trip!! :goodvibes

If I recall correctly, there is seating around the perimeter and then a few steps up to the center/interior tables. I always have sit on the outer perimeter of the circle and I think I would prefer that since you are closer to the sides as you revolve around and get to see areas of the Land ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter