• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Akershus Breakfast

donnajz

DIS Veteran
We're considering eating breakfast at Akershus, hoping to ride FEA with minimal wait. I looked at the menu though and wasn't impressed. I'm hoping everything they offer isn't listed since DD and myself have no interest in anything listed on the Norwegian Smorgasbord. That would leave us with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage and potato casserole. I don't see any waffles, pancakes, fresh fruit, bagels, etc. I was hoping the breakfast would have many of the items that are served at Crystal Palace. Are there any other items not listed on the menu on Disney's website?

No, that really is the menu. They are not a buffet for breakfast, save the smorgasbord. Everything else is family style, and very basic food.

I had breakfast there a few days ago. The smorgasbord also had bagels, cinnamon rolls, donut holes and fresh fruit and yogurt. The plated breakfast has what is stated above. No waffles or pancakes

ETA: granola also on smorgasbord

The hot items (eggs, meats, potatoes) are brought to the table. The cold items on the side board include: breads, bagels, croissants, donut holes, fresh fruit, yogurt, cold meats, and cheese.

This thread saved me some serious headache. Looked up the Akershus breakfast (which we were planning on doing) and have decided to move this to lunch or dinner for the same reason OP mentions. I also forgot I'd be missing those amazing meatballs if I went breakfast.

It doesn't seem like much, but we really love the Akershus breakfast. I think we are in the minority, but unless it's changed drastically since May 2015, I love it. The hot food was plenty, and it's family style so they will bring more. The cold buffet had lots of good fruit and pastry options. I am gluten free and am nearly positive that they brought out GF waffles or pancakes for me.

We found the cold bar to have a nice mix of foods for both adventurous and non-adventurous eaters. The hot food is plentiful and good - especially the potato casserole. I could eat just that and fish, cheese, fruit, and croissants from the cold bar. My husband is happy with a little hot food and a lot of smoked salmon, cream cheese, and bagels. I might try asking for Mickey waffles for our daughter next time. She liked the potato casserole and some cold bar items, but she would have been happier having the waffles. She's a vegetarian, so meat - hot or cold - was a no go.

It doesn't seem like much, but we really love the Akershus breakfast. I think we are in the minority, but unless it's changed drastically since May 2015, I love it. The hot food was plenty, and it's family style so they will bring more. The cold buffet had lots of good fruit and pastry options. I am gluten free and am nearly positive that they brought out GF waffles or pancakes for me.

No, we are right there with you.

I like Akershus breakfast a lot. The food is good, hot and plentiful when it is delivered to the table. The service has always been excellent and the character interaction is excellent as well. It is a favorite when when bring the kids.

I ate breakfast there once. I didn't enjoy the food, but I'm pretty picky. So, I may not be the best judge.

I'd worry if it really gets you an advantage for FEA though? I only say that because I just heard a podcast the other day where they mentioned rushing through an Akershus breakfast for this very reason. The park was supposed to open at 9:00. They were done with breakfast & went to get in line by 8:45, but it was already so long that it went past Mexico. Since they sometimes let people in the parks early to line up, you may not even get the benefit of being early in line. It seems like a risky gamble to spend that much money on food you may not even like to only maybe get in line early.

I really like Akeshurs for breakfast as well -- much preferred over lunch. We are semi-adventurous in our dining preferences but there wasn't much on the lunch/dinner menu that was to our taste. Of course taste is a very subjective thing. The breakfast is plentiful and varied so you won't go away hungry. Also if you were considering it for the princess experience, it really is the best place for those character interactions as well.

Is it horrible to suggest taking the $10 per person penalty and skipping Akershus to line up for FEA? Especially if you tried to FP FEA at 7am 60 days before your trip with no freakin' success.

Is it horrible to suggest taking the $10 per person penalty and skipping Akershus to line up for FEA? Especially if you tried to FP FEA at 7am 60 days before your trip with no freakin' success.

Yes it is horrible, because there are people that actually want to eat at Akershus that won't be able to because you used the ADR and it will impact a server's earnings by having one less table.

We're considering eating breakfast at Akershus, hoping to ride FEA with minimal wait. I looked at the menu though and wasn't impressed. I'm hoping everything they offer isn't listed since DD and myself have no interest in anything listed on the Norwegian Smorgasbord. That would leave us with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage and potato casserole. I don't see any waffles, pancakes, fresh fruit, bagels, etc. I was hoping the breakfast would have many of the items that are served at Crystal Palace. Are there any other items not listed on the menu on Disney's website?
you can get waffles upon request but the eggs are the best I have ever had and the potatoes are awesome!

1) you do not like the menu, eat elsewhere.
2) Sorry, but not a tough choice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Akershus Royal Banquet Hall

All-You-Care-To-Enjoy
Scrambled Eggs
Sausage
Bacon
Potato Casserole

Norwegian Smorgasbord
Salami
Roasted Turkey
Smoked Pork Loin
Peppered Mackerel
Dilled Salmon Gravlax
Jarlsberg Cheese
Muenster Cheese
Gjetost Cheese
Garnishes

Strawberry Preserves, Gherkins, Tomato, Oil Cured Olives, and Salted Butter

Non-Alcoholic Beverages
Ariel or Buzz Lightyear Punch
Minute Maid® Light Lemonade Punch served in a souvenir Ariel or Toy Story 3 cup with a glowing Ariel or Buzz Lightyear Clip-on Light
$5.00

Odwalla® All-Natural Lemonade
topped with a Wildberry Foam
$4.50

Voss Artesian Water from Norway 375mL
Still or Sparkling
$4.50 Per Bottle

Voss Artesian Water from Norway 800 mL (Serves Two)
Still or Sparkling
$6.50 Per Bottle

We have always liked the layout of the breakfast and had plenty of options for our kids, who don't usually eat a big breakfast. However, we went in August and I gotta admit the potato casserole that we usually looked forward to every trip didn't have the flavor we remembered, the service was ok but the princesses weren't as interactive as I remember either. Plus you don't get the picture of you and Belle printed and given to you at the end of your meal like they used to do a few years ago, which was also disappointing. Next year we will be skipping Akershus and spending the extra point and doing CRT instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter