Akershus and “free” photo

looseends

Earning My Ears
I haven’t seen this discussed anywhere so I thought I’d throw it out there….

I read a lot of people proclaiming Akershus to be a great choice for a character breakfast partly because they’ll give you a “free” photo of your child with the princesses. I did a little cost- comparisons and found the following prices for a family of four (using prices on menus at WDWinfo.com, which I know may be slightly off):

Akershus - $30/adult, $18/child = $96 total
Chef Mickey - $27/adult, $14/child = $82 total
Crystal Palace - $21/adult, $12/child = $66 total
Ohana - $21/adult, $12/child = $66 total
Tusker House - $21/adult, $12/child = $66 total
CRT - $32/adult, $22/child = $108 total

So, disregarding CRT, which is understandably more expensive than the others, you’re paying more at Akershus than the other character breakfasts, $14 more than Chef Mickey, but a whopping $30 more than CP, Ohana and Tusker House! Granted there are other factors that come into play such as food preference, character preference, and character/guest ratio. And if you’re on the Dining Plan it may be a moot point anyways. Maybe this is just the cynic in me, but one could argue that the “free” photo actually costs you $30 (or more when you factor in the extra tax and tip associated with the higher meal cost).

Feel free to show me the error of my ways (please, someone!) :)

We have ADRs there for November (DxDP). I haven't heard about free pictures. Can you point me in the right direction to find some info?

So maybe you would feel better with the phrase "no extra charge" for the photo. I don't disagree with your math, but Akershus was worth at least $30 more than Chef Mickey's. The food is terrific, servers great, and the princesses are wonderful.

At Akerhaus, we had our picture taken with Belle in her ballgown.

It is the first thing you do before you sit down to dinner.

It is one of my favorite pictures from my character meals.

Good catch!

However, I have quit trying to find "value" in dining at Disney. It is what it is.

It is actually considered a good deal with the "free" photo because it is the same amount of TS credits as 'Ohana, CM, CP, etc. etc. etc. but includes the, in the case of using the DDP, free photo.

When paying OOP, you are correct with your math that you don't actually get a free photo, but instead the photo is pre-paid.

"Free" is the word people like to use because you don't pay any extra on top of the meal price, but the more accurate terminology would probably be "included in the price." Of course if you don't want the picture, you will have to ask if the picture price can be taken off, and they may not do it. I think they break it up for TIW users - they get their discount on the food only, not the picture.

And I believe you get the included photo with only one princess - at CRT it's Cinderella, at Akershus I believe it is usually, if not always, Belle.

The price at CRT also includes a photo package.

Just to clarify, I’m not complaining about this; I’m not mad about it or anything. It was just an observation, and I’m not sure everyone is aware of it. I’m taking my kids there and I can’t wait to just sit and watch my DD interact with the princesses.

But, if people are trying to cut costs, they may want to consider that they could get a comparable breakfast elsewhere for 1/3 less cost.

And on the other hand, if someone on the Dining Plan is trying to maximize the “value” of their TS credits, Akershus is a better choice than many of the other places.

Sometimes the value of something isn't always the cost.

If that were the case, no one would eat at a TS...they'd only do counter service. To me, there are less expensive options to eat but none that will compare to my daughter eating her breakfast with a Princess....or Winnie the Pooh, or Mickey Mouse.

We're only there a week, so those are the experiences we're paying for. I want her to have the most fun she can if what little time we're there because when we're home....well, they don't have Mickey Mouse at Chili's ! :lmao: The prices are posted and we know what we're paying before we go in......it becomes our choice at that point whether or not to choose to go. ;)

I haven’t seen this discussed anywhere so I thought I’d throw it out there….

I read a lot of people proclaiming Akershus to be a great choice for a character breakfast partly because they’ll give you a “free” photo of your child with the princesses. I did a little cost- comparisons and found the following prices for a family of four (using prices on menus at WDWinfo.com, which I know may be slightly off):

Akershus - $30/adult, $18/child = $96 total
Chef Mickey - $27/adult, $14/child = $82 total
Crystal Palace - $21/adult, $12/child = $66 total
Ohana - $21/adult, $12/child = $66 total
Tusker House - $21/adult, $12/child = $66 total
CRT - $32/adult, $22/child = $108 total

So, disregarding CRT, which is understandably more expensive than the others, you’re paying more at Akershus than the other character breakfasts, $14 more than Chef Mickey, but a whopping $30 more than CP, Ohana and Tusker House! Granted there are other factors that come into play such as food preference, character preference, and character/guest ratio. And if you’re on the Dining Plan it may be a moot point anyways. Maybe this is just the cynic in me, but one could argue that the “free” photo actually costs you $30 (or more when you factor in the extra tax and tip associated with the higher meal cost).

Feel free to show me the error of my ways (please, someone!) :)

The "error of your ways" as you put it is in comparing dollar values instead of DDP credits. the photo IS free, because if you go there on the DDP, you don't get charged for it separately. If you go to any other character meal (other than CRT), you pay for the photo separately. If you use DDP credits at those other character meals, you use your DDP credit AND you have to pay out of pocket for the photo. Now, add the fact that CRT is the only other character meal where the photo is included, and that CRT "costs" two table service credits. The ultimate conclusion is that Akershaus is, by a fairly wide margin, the best DDP value character meal. It only costs one table service credit, it includes the photo, and the food is a nice combination of an appetizer buffet, menu-ordered entree, and family-style desserts.

The "error of your ways" as you put it is in comparing dollar values instead of DDP credits

Not everyone is on the DDP. A large number of guests actually do pay cash for their meals. The cost comparison may be relevant to them, although it's my guess that most guests who go to Akershus do so because they want the picture as well as the meal and princess visits.

I went to those locations (CRT and Akershaus) because that's where we wanted to go (and we pay cash). The photos is just an extra that I don't even consider in deciding where I want to eat. Most of our large photos like that from WDW just collect dust in a drawer anyway.

would be included in the price. The picture package was added to the Askerhus price in 2008 and prices were raised. One note on it at the time:

A photo package will be included for ALL reservations made for April 27, 2008 and beyond for Princess Storybook Dining at the Akershus Royal Banquet Hall in Epcot. Prices are as follows:

Breakfast: $28.99 ages 10 and older; $12.99 ages 3-9
Lunch: $30.99 ages 10 and older; $13.99 ages 3-9
Dinner: $35.99 ages 10 and older; $14.99 ages 3-9

Holiday Pricing: May 25, 2008 - July 5, 2008 :
Breakfast: $32.99 ages 10 and older; $14.99 ages 3-9
Lunch: $34.99 ages 10 and older; $15.99 ages 3-9
Dinner: $39.99 ages 10 and older; $16.99 ages 3-9

Yes, we doubled and triple checked. The holiday pricing includes the entire month of June!

Previous to that the adult price was $22.99/$24.99/$28.99 for BLD.

Also note the surprise that holiday pricing lasts all the way through June. Does two years ago qualify for the good old times?

allears.net has much higher pricing for CRT than you do.

Breakfast
Aug 2010
Adults $44.80
Children 3-9 $29.86
Price includes tax and gratuity (and photo)

I went to those locations (CRT and Akershaus) because that's where we wanted to go (and we pay cash). The photos is just an extra that I don't even consider in deciding where I want to eat. Most of our large photos like that from WDW just collect dust in a drawer anyway.

True - ours are too - we were still impressed with getting a 'freebie' for the cost of 1 TS on the DDP though. Even though we just did the breakfast there (dinner would be even better value if you are on DDP) we thought the meal and characters to be wonderful - it was our first day though (and also our anniversary). Even so it's an absolutely must do for next summer.

Interesting info about the actual "cost" of that picture. We were on the DxDP this time, and so we weren't even thinking in terms of "real money."

For us, Akershus was a great use of a dining credit because we ate at a breakfast buffet that we all enjoy very much, PLUS we got a picture - which I've already given to my mother so she can have a picture of her granddaughter and Belle on her mantle all year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter