• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AK Wilderness Explorers

DianaPrince

Mouseketeer
Has anyone done this and can give a review on it? Wondering what ages it appeals to and if its worth doing on our day at AK sunday. Thanks

My son (6) loved doing this! He collected all the stickers and learnt a lot about wildlife and conservation along the way. He was really proud of his completed sticker book and it was the only thing from our 2 week Disney holiday that he took to show his class.

The drawbacks were that it took up a lot of time (we took 2 half days), it requires a lot of walking in the heat and sometimes the info the CMs gave was too difficult for my son to understand but they couldn't give him a sticker until they had said their piece.

The plus points are that you get 30+ stickers in a book you can keep, you learn lots along the way and you get to see parts of the park in detail that you may otherwise miss.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

We did it with our girls (20 months and 3.5, huge UP fans), it takes quite a bit of time to complete the whole thing but you can do it as you go around the park.
The only thing we were dissapointed with is there is nothing (like a badge) when you complete it.

Yeah my 5 year old was kind of like,"stickers! Not real badges!" lol...we may skip it this time since we only have 1 day for AK.

We did it with my 10yr old a few weeks ago. He enjoyed it and was a little disappointed that we didn't get each one. We just ran short of time. He likes all of those little seek and find activities. Sorcerers is the Magic Kingdom, Agent P's Adventure, and the pirate treasure map thing (forgot what it was called) were enjoyable. We are not commando types and as a family we really try to go slow and take in some details (yes even the 10yr old!) and this was just another layer of detail.

By the way, my 2yr old has a book and they just gave him the Explorer "badges" when his brother completed the tasks.

We were there in Feb 2012 and my daughter had a little book she was getting stickers (or maybe stamps?) in. I don't remember it being connected to the movie Up! though. Is this a new thing?

At DL we have done a wilderness explorer show and the kids do a pledge and get a sticker badge at the end--it sounds like this is different than at AK?

LSURyan said:
We did it with my 10yr old a few weeks ago. He enjoyed it and was a little disappointed that we didn't get each one. We just ran short of time. He likes all of those little seek and find activities. Sorcerers is the Magic Kingdom, Agent P's Adventure, and the pirate treasure map thing (forgot what it was called) were enjoyable. We are not commando types and as a family we really try to go slow and take in some details (yes even the 10yr old!) and this was just another layer of detail.

By the way, my 2yr old has a book and they just gave him the Explorer "badges" when his brother completed the tasks.

Thats good to know because my 2yr old dd wanted to try it to and wasnt sure she would have the patience to listen to lesson on each animal.

We were there in Feb 2012 and my daughter had a little book she was getting stickers (or maybe stamps?) in. I don't remember it being connected to the movie Up! though. Is this a new thing?

At DL we have done a wilderness explorer show and the kids do a pledge and get a sticker badge at the end--it sounds like this is different than at AK?

They combined the Redwood activity with what AK was already doing. Before you did activities and got something like 6 or 9 stamps, and at the end you got another stamp. Now it's more than just 6 or 9, and it's themed to the Wilderness Explorers.

They combined the Redwood activity with what AK was already doing. Before you did activities and got something like 6 or 9 stamps, and at the end you got another stamp. Now it's more than just 6 or 9, and it's themed to the Wilderness Explorers.

It's 31 now =)

This sounds like fun for my girls when we go.
Does it take you all over the park or just in certain areas?

The entire park. We just toured as usual and picked up badges as we came across them.

Can anyone tell me what size the stickers are? I was thinking of getting a sash to put them on to make it more real. I had thought about getting blank pins to stick the stickers on, but that would be alot of pins to carry around. We will probably just stick the stickers straight onto the sash. I'm also ordering WE pins off etsy to give out after we have completed all the tasks.

Can anyone tell me what size the stickers are? I was thinking of getting a sash to put them on to make it more real. I had thought about getting blank pins to stick the stickers on, but that would be alot of pins to carry around. We will probably just stick the stickers straight onto the sash. I'm also ordering WE pins off etsy to give out after we have completed all the tasks.

Too big to go on pins, I would just do them straight on the sash, fingers crossed they will give you an extra one for the book too. I love the idea of the sash/etsy pin =)

Just wondering if any adults have done this? I LOVE AK and all things nature-oriented, but I was wondering if it would be kind of odd. But then again, this is an adult who doesn't hesitate to attend character meals solo. Just wondering, though.

My DS is so excited for this! We loved the Redwood Creek Challenge at DL and AK is his fave park. I can see up skipping all rides to collect those 31 badges!

The entire park. We just toured as usual and picked up badges as we came across them.

Thanks, will definitely be doing this.

What a great idea!

Just wondering if any adults have done this? I LOVE AK and all things nature-oriented, but I was wondering if it would be kind of odd. But then again, this is an adult who doesn't hesitate to attend character meals solo. Just wondering, though.

Bumping - I would like to know the answer to this too!

Also where do you first pick up the book to get started?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter