AK - Tusker House, Rainforest, or Yak and Yeti for Dinner?

Piglet99645

DIS Veteran
We have two kids, with the picky one being old enough to order off the adult menu.

We are looking for the most Disney bang for the Free Dining buck, so to speak. In other words, cost is not an issue, but something unique that we can't get anywhere else would be preferred. (We don't live near any other Rainforest Cafe, but I know they exist).

Hubby and I like all kinds of food.

What would be your choice and why? :wave2:

I've eaten in a few Rainforest cafes over the years and I was never all that impressed, it's neat for the kids, but totally not fun for the adults! I personally would go with Yak and Yeti, the desserts are delicious and the food is really good! There is definitely something on that menu that a picky kid would like, lo mein with veggies, beef and broccoli, or honey chicken. Plus, I found it to be much nicer than Tusker House or Rainforest cafe, definitely most Disney bang :thumbsup2

I am an adult, and I happen to LOVE Rainforest Cafe :D. It's a super fun experience! However, it can be very loud, and given the decor some people find it obnoxious. I guess I just really enjoy fun theme restaurants. I also would suggest Yak and Yeti though. Super cool theme, and tamer atmosphere. Both have good food IMHO. :)

Rainforest Cafe is a chain, and that's how I look at it. I'd opt for Disney.

Since AK tends to close early...we tend to do dinner elsewhere (with an ADR). We completely rely on Disney transportation...so we'll take a bus to one of the Magic Kingdom monorail resorts (Polynesian, Contemporary, Grand Floridian), have dinner there, then take the monorail to Magic Kingdom to catch a bus back to our resort. Just make sure you'll be getting out of dinner before MK closes or you won't have 'easy' transportation back.

If you want dinner at AK, we like Tusker House. We've done lunch there before, very unique flavors in the buffet, African foods, lots of choices. We haven't done the other 2 for dinner. We have a Rainforest cafe near us and the one time we took the kids there they hated it--too loud for them.

i personally didn't care for the lunch or dinner selection at tusker house. id go with rainforest cafe or yak & yeti. id lean more towards rfc cause its fun and the menu is great!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using DISBoards App

Thanks for all the replies!

Hubby vetoed RFC because it is a chain, and I realized Yak and Yeti has counter service, so we could do counter service lunch and Tusker House dinner....

Which begs the question, is the Yak and Yeti counter service option at all comparable to the table service?

Animal Kingdom is our relaxing day......

Hate to burst your bubble but yak and yeti is a chain restaurant. It is a landry's restaurant which means the owner of trex and rain forest cafe. So if you're steering clear of the chains then yak and yeti would also be out. We have eaten at tusker house for lunch,rainforest cafe for dinner and also on AK days do Boma for dinner. Bang for the free buck I would pick Boma hands down-our family loves it and it's unique( not a chain). 2nd runner up would be rfc because although a chain we don't live close to one and we only eat there when at disney. It is loud! but our DS loves it. there was nothing wrong with tusker house but I find it similar but different than boma and just prefer boma. Tusker house is more main stream for the picky eater while still not being everyday food. For us we don't really eat chinese while at disney because that is something we eat often at home.
By default tusker house wins out based on not wanting a chain restaurant as a choice.

Hmmm.....

Rainforest is a "chain".... I brought the kids there when they were your oldest kiddo's age...and they LOVED the atmosphere (so do I) but the food is indeed "chain-ish"... (Think TGIF, Applebees, Chilis, etc). BUT I repeat the atmosphere is very "cool" I think folks with pre-teens should go once.

Yak and Yeti.... Tried in May 2010 and LOVED it so went back May 2012 and all six of our party LOVED as well... have a review with pics...

BUT... it is a "chain" too or somewhat... (Landrys Restaurants). The atmosphere is great and the menu is delicious with wonderful exotic Indian dishes as well as steak and broccoli or honey chicken (my pickiest DSD was fine there...but she would NOT have been if we had taken her when she was 10) LMK if you want me to send a link to my review.

Tusker House I have NOT done but plan to do in my next visit.... sounds great... and I know with picky kids you can't go wrong in a buffet...they won't leave hungry.....kids always find something they love in a buffet... we have done several with picky kids....

But I'd definitely try one of the above 3... I am not disappointed that I have been to either of the first 2 and can't wait to visit TH....

Have a magical visit !

Mary

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter