AK to Ohana in 30 minutes?

cricket00

Earning My Ears
we have an 8:30 pm reservation for dinner @ohana and plan to stay at AK until closing (at 8pm.) i'm assuming it's impossible to accomplish this using the bus, right? what's the quickest option? taxi? are they readily available @AK at that time?

You'd have a coin flip chance of making it there on time on the bus, it's not impossible.

Drive time from AK parking to Poly is about 15-20 minutes drive time. This does not include the amount of time it could take to go through the MK toll gates. So, unless you are near the exit at 8 pm, it could be cutting it very close. I was able to drive from the parking at AK to the entrance at FW in about 20 minutes and that was going through the MK toll gates.

Taxi could be quicker just because you do not know if the bus will be waiting there and ready to go as soon as you get to the bus and if it would leave immediately. You also will not know if the bus will be stopping at other resorts along the way. If you do not know where the taxis are when leaving AK, then as you exit the park you would follow along to the left and they are in front of the handicap parking lot.

If anything, you could walk straight up the middle when leaving and look over to see if there are enough taxis when you are leaving before committing to a side as the bus stop is on the opposite side of the tram pickup.

Drive time from AK parking to Poly is about 15-20 minutes drive time. This does not include the amount of time it could take to go through the MK toll gates. So, unless you are near the exit at 8 pm, it could be cutting it very close. I was able to drive from the parking at AK to the entrance at FW in about 20 minutes and that was going through the MK toll gates.

Taxi could be quicker just because you do not know if the bus will be waiting there and ready to go as soon as you get to the bus and if it would leave immediately. You also will not know if the bus will be stopping at other resorts along the way. If you do not know where the taxis are when leaving AK, then as you exit the park you would follow along to the left and they are in front of the handicap parking lot.

If anything, you could walk straight up the middle when leaving and look over to see if there are enough taxis when you are leaving before committing to a side as the bus stop is on the opposite side of the tram pickup.

thanks! that's very helpful. :thumbsup2

I think you are cutting it way close. You are told to check in 15 minutes before your ADR. In all the times we have dined at O'hana we have never been seated on time. Usually 20 to 30 minutes late. But......I don't know how things go for you...as for me, the minute I am not there on time will be the first time they are on schedule. I would take the cab.

They ask you to be at the podium at the restaurant about 15 min early, so you really only have 15min. I think you're cutting it close and will be frazzled when you arrive at OHana.

I get that you want to stay at DAK until it closes, but it's not like there's some special closing ceremony. Nothing magical happens at 8pm. I think you'd be so much better off if you decided to leave DAK just a little earlier. Remember that you have to get OUT of DAK (which will be crowded and slow-moving because the park is closing and everyone leaves at once); you'll be looking for a taxi (and so will a lot of other people) or taking the bus (as will a lot of other people); driving to the Poly (DAK is about the farthest away from the Poly you can be and still be in a Disney park); and then getting off that taxi or bus at the Poly, making that quick bathroom stop, and then upstairs to the podium ... all in 15min.

Unless there's some special thing you're planning on doing at the stroke of 8 that makes it imperative for you to be at DAK until the very closing moment, I'd consider leaving at 7 or 7:30pm and doing a less hurried transfer to the Poly.

:earsboy:

The normal precautionary time budget is for about 60-90 minutes to get from place to place within WDW (except for places literally next to each other). I don't see why the OP's scenario would be any different. If OP gets to AK by 10 or 11 AM, there's little chance OP wouldn't be able to see just about everything AK has to offer by 7 PM. Leaving AK at 7 PM gives you plenty of time to wait for a bus and then ride it to the Poly.

Even with a taxi, chances are you'd miss your ADR time if you didn't leave AK until 8.

Now, getting back to your resort after the Ohana dinner may be the bigger problem if MK has been closed for a while. But taxis are definitely available at the Poly.

I think you are cutting it way close. You are told to check in 15 minutes before your ADR. In all the times we have dined at O'hana we have never been seated on time. Usually 20 to 30 minutes late. But......I don't know how things go for you...as for me, the minute I am not there on time will be the first time they are on schedule. I would take the cab.

that's always how it works, isn't it?!? yes, i think we'll end up taking a cab, too.

They ask you to be at the podium at the restaurant about 15 min early, so you really only have 15min. I think you're cutting it close and will be frazzled when you arrive at OHana.

I get that you want to stay at DAK until it closes, but it's not like there's some special closing ceremony. Nothing magical happens at 8pm. I think you'd be so much better off if you decided to leave DAK just a little earlier. Remember that you have to get OUT of DAK (which will be crowded and slow-moving because the park is closing and everyone leaves at once); you'll be looking for a taxi (and so will a lot of other people) or taking the bus (as will a lot of other people); driving to the Poly (DAK is about the farthest away from the Poly you can be and still be in a Disney park); and then getting off that taxi or bus at the Poly, making that quick bathroom stop, and then upstairs to the podium ... all in 15min.

Unless there's some special thing you're planning on doing at the stroke of 8 that makes it imperative for you to be at DAK until the very closing moment, I'd consider leaving at 7 or 7:30pm and doing a less hurried transfer to the Poly.

:earsboy:

we were planning on a late arrival to AK, therefore using the end of the evening to maximize our ride time.

The normal precautionary time budget is for about 60-90 minutes to get from place to place within WDW (except for places literally next to each other). I don't see why the OP's scenario would be any different. If OP gets to AK by 10 or 11 AM, there's little chance OP wouldn't be able to see just about everything AK has to offer by 7 PM. Leaving AK at 7 PM gives you plenty of time to wait for a bus and then ride it to the Poly.

Even with a taxi, chances are you'd miss your ADR time if you didn't leave AK until 8.

Now, getting back to your resort after the Ohana dinner may be the bigger problem if MK has been closed for a while. But taxis are definitely available at the Poly.

we weren't planning to arrive until 1 or 2 pm that day.
and the poly IS our resort. ;)

If it were me? I would take the bus to the Polynesian at 7:30. You are going to have a fair amount of company when leaving the park at closing, at 8. So, I would leave 30 mins earlier and get a little jump on the crowds.
Even if you want to get a cab, you are still going to be leaving in a huge crowd, and that will slow you down. And depending on where you are within the park it could be a long walk to the parking lot and a cab.

that's always how it works, isn't it?!? yes, i think we'll end up taking a cab, too.

we were planning on a late arrival to AK, therefore using the end of the evening to maximize our ride time.

we weren't planning to arrive until 1 or 2 pm that day.
and the poly IS our resort. ;)

I really don't think a cab would get you there by 8:30 if you wait until 8 to leave AK. As WDSearcher pointed out, leaving the park at 8 doesn't mean you'll walk right up to a cab. There are lots of things that have to happen before you get to a cab, and then you're expected to be at the restaurant 15 minutes before the ADR. I've been to WDW a lot and have never been lucky enough to get from to/from Poly to/from AK in less than 45 minutes, door to door, even if we drive.

I recommend either a) getting to AK an hour or two earlier so you can leave AK by 7 or 7:30 PM and getting a more relaxed bus ride back to the Poly or b) getting a later Ohana ADR.

If it were me? I would take the bus to the Polynesian at 7:30. You are going to have a fair amount of company when leaving the park at closing, at 8. So, I would leave 30 mins earlier and get a little jump on the crowds.
Even if you want to get a cab, you are still going to be leaving in a huge crowd, and that will slow you down. And depending on where you are within the park it could be a long walk to the parking lot and a cab.

all good points. thank you!

we'd originally intended for this to be our late arrival day, but after weighing all the options, i think we'll just head there for RD instead. that way we can still see everything @AK, head back at a leisurely pace to the poly, and then swim & rest up for our dinner @ohana. :woohoo:

I would agree when we were in Disney they told us to plan for at least 1 hour to get from one location to our reservation (that wasn't even enough time for one of our ressies). We stayed at the Poly on our last trip and I know it took more than 30 minutes to get to and from Animal Kingdom. The bus to the Poly also stops at the Contemporary Resort before the Poly so that adds a bit of extra time. If you don't want to use a cab I would give yourself at least an hour to get there. :)

cricket00 said:
all good points. thank you!

we'd originally intended for this to be our late arrival day, but after weighing all the options, i think we'll just head there for RD instead. that way we can still see everything @AK, head back at a leisurely pace to the poly, and then swim & rest up for our dinner @ohana. :woohoo:

Sounds like a plan! We love AK at rope drop. We find it the best time to see the animals on the safari.

While it's theoretically possible you could do it, I highly doubt you'd be able to do it if you are even at the gate of AK at the 8pm closing. There's no way you'll make it if you're anywhere inside the park at closing.

To get from AK to the Poly in 30 minutes, you would have to be at the front of the Poly bus line at 8pm, and the bus would have to pick you up no later than 8:05.

You could also take a bus to the TTS and walk the distance between the TTS and the Grand Ceremonial House (less than 10 minutes). That might work out better, because there are more buses going there than to the Poly. But, again, you'd need to be on a bus that leaves no later than 8pm.

A taxi from AK to the Poly is about $20. I've never done it, but I would imagine that there aren't going to be many taxis sitting there waiting for fares at 8pm.

I think you're going to have to leave by 7:30 to have any kind of chance of arriving at the 'Ohana podium by 8:15-8:30.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter